Travel Books Before 1900 That Are Enjoyable to Read

Extollager

A place to list and discuss such books. I'll start by nominating these five:

Dufferin (Lord). Letters from High Latitudes.
1726967848277.png

Kennan, George. Tent Life in Siberia.
Kinglake, Alexander. Eothen.
1726968042021.png

Parkman, Francis. The Oregon Trail.
1726967971650.png

Twain, Mark. Roughing It.

The timeline is variable, starting in 1839; Bradshaw's Guides that concrentated on railway timetables, stations and a brief summary of the towns and cities they travelled through is worth a look.

One that I’ve always wanted to read but never seen a copy is The Travels Of Sir John Mandeville
It's in Penguin Classics.

A more reliable medieval account of long travels is of course Marco Polo's book, which everyone should be acquainted with.
1727047638563.png

To my list of 19th-century nonfiction I'll add Fanny Trollope's engaging Domestic Manners of the Americans. My North Dakotan reading group did not take offense.

1727047565301.png

A couple more good ones...

1727114491689.png

William Morris's Journals from Iceland -- yes, this is the same Morris who is a major figure in the history of modern fantasy (The Wood Beyond the World, The Well at the World's End, The Water of the Wondrous Isles, The Wanderings of the Wise-Wife). Get the Praeger reprint; there was a paperback edition in the 1990s or so that was criticized for its handling of Icelandic names, etc.

1727114456288.png

Thoreau's Maine Woods -- by the time of writing this, he had shed some of his "Transcendental" style that was so abundant, from what I have seen, in his Concord and Merrimack Rivers book, though I do mean to take a serious attempt at that one before long). I recall it as a pleasing and lively read.

Cover art for The Wanderings of the Wise-Wife (Ballantine Fantasy series) without lettering:
1727114661256.png

William Morris's Journals from Iceland -- yes, this is the same Morris who is a major figure in the history of modern fantasy (The Wood Beyond the World, The Well at the World's End, The Water of the Wondrous Isles, The Wanderings of the Wise-Wife). Get the Praeger reprint; there was a paperback edition in the 1990s or so that was criticized for its handling of Icelandic names, etc.
That last Morris romance title was a joke, btw. There's no such book as The Wanderings of the Wise-Wife -- yet, at least. I've thought of trying to write a story in the Morris manner someday. Probably too tall an order for me!

Anything by Twain. The Innocents Abroad is terrific.
Dickens’ American Notes for General Circulation is worth a read. I have a nice HB from the early 20th century.

I've enjoyed more than an hour or two planning a trip across the USA using Appleton's Railway Guide to the USA and Canada.
My repro is a lovely [faux] leather soft binding that feel great in the hand and perfect for travelling with.