Book that Alternates Between First Person Narrator and Third Person Main Character?

dgackst

Human
Hi everyone,

I'm curious if anyone knows of a novel that is split between a narrator speaking in first person and a main character which is in third person. Ideally the genre would be sci fi or fantasy, but any genre known would be appreciated, if known. I know Princess Bride follows this format, but I'm curious if there are more out there.

To expand on exactly what I'm looking for:
The narrator speaks in first person setting the scene and background information about the main character or events surrounding the main character.
Then the book switches to the events itself with a focus on the character in the character's point of view in third person.
The book then switches back and forth between narrator and main character.

Any help finding a novel like this would be appreciated!

Sorry, @dgackst , I can't help you with the query.
But I thought that you might be interested to know that I've stood at the exact place that the picture on your avatar was taken from, and grew up walking those very fells.

efa092b9-5246-45c6-b1f7-840885d86560.jpg

Small Water (front), Haweswater (middle) and Ullswater, (back), in the north-eastern English Lake District. Born about 20 miles from this spot.

Sorry to distract from your query!

Not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but "Children Of Men" by P.D. James alternates between first person journal entry and third person, but it's always the same main character.

I can't think of a novel off the top of my head, but if it's of interest I did this with a fantasy serial for Kraxon -- I had a frame story for 11 of the monthly pieces in which a character talks directly to his friend for a paragraph at the beginning and in 10 of the stories also a line or so at the end, but the main part of the work is in third person as the stories are told The Tale of Shir Shaheen and the Caravanserai - Kraxon Magazine

Anyhow, I'll move this thread over to Book Discussion, since Book Search is really for members who are trying to find a book they've once read but can't recall author or title.

I have a feeling that the Jack Reacher books vary between 1st and 3rd person. Not within books though.

Sorry, @dgackst , I can't help you with the query.
But I thought that you might be interested to know that I've stood at the exact place that the picture on your avatar was taken from, and grew up walking those very fells.

View attachment 124269
Small Water (front), Haweswater (middle) and Ullswater, (back), in the north-eastern English Lake District. Born about 20 miles from this spot.

Sorry to distract from your query!
That is very cool and unexpected! I didn't grow up in the area myself (I've only visited while on vacation), but the area in the picture above was remarkable. As was the rest of England!