October 2024 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge -- READ THE FIRST POST!!

En retard à la fête

Like a thin ghostly serpent, the mile-long cloud of steam hovered above the metal packhorses, snaking into London.

We hunkered in the Abbey, as a dank gloom shrouded our good city, the heart of the Empire - upon which, the sun would soon set.

When news arrived that our defeat at Waterloo… was greatly exaggerated.

Marines in Southampton?”

“Seems Wellington’s late to the party!”

The bell rang, with tears we sang, “Better late than never!”

The Early Optimist

Ms. Clarabelle Greyman’s Audio-graph 1912 14th April 23:40

Day 4.

Today I watched as the blades propelled the IAS Titanic across the sky, the other ships look so small on the ocean as we soar above them.

Steam powered blimp is what the call her. A bastion of hope for the future. World smaller now. Its also toxic optimism. But it’s contagious. One can’t help but wonder what tomorrow will bring.

World peace...

I'm not being too optimistic: An elevator pitch for the crossover everyone secretly wants:

As they neared the Gray Havens Frodo asked "Gandalf, what was Sauron like? Y'know... before?"
"Optimistic. Joyful. He said... if he could only whisper his plans, they would change history ”.
Doubt momentarily clouded his face.

Much later:
Miles Dyson, microelectronics engineer, titled a design sheet: 'Skynet'.
Behind him shadows deepened slightly. In his subconscious a gnawing voice whispered: "Like this..."

Earlier again:
Temporal displacement fields dissipated. The T-800 strode into Bree…

Last edited:
The Weight of Brass and Sky

The dirigible hissed steam and slipped moorings, polished brass catching wan amber light. The city’s sprawl fell away, clockwork dreams and obsolete streets dissolving into the metallic tang she’d mistook for progress.

“Free as birds,” she murmured, gripping the railing.

“Birds?” he snorted. “Slaves to instinct. We’re the wind.”

The sails filled and snapped.

His hand found hers.

“The wind,” she agreed, eyes ahead, the promise of clean skies erasing all they’d been.

Light Up!

"Everyone needs one!"

While TV talked, I rolled the tobacco in my automatic, steam-powered cigarette rolling machine. I strolled onto the porch with a fresh pack. TV followed, yapping. Jetpacks were still my favorite next great thing.

I passed my pack to Laura and the teens, making sure little Susie didn't snag one.

"Light up!"

TV said, "That's right!"

Happily puffing away, we wondered about the next great thing, hopeful for the future.

Back