DISCUSSION THREAD -- October 2024 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

For any of you as clueless as I was as to Retrofuturism, here's the Wikipedia entry on it Retrofuturism - Wikipedia

As to "optimism" as a theme, while we're not actually laying bets on it in the Staff Room, let's just say we're pessimistically resigned to seeing the usual assortment of unpleasantnesses (aka "variety of appalling bloodbaths") with optimism being comprehensively dashed to pieces. *sigh* Oh, it would be pleasant to be proved wrong from time to time...

I was scared of the genre, but decided to not over-think it, and just write. So, there's mine.
Good luck, everyone, CC

As to "optimism" as a theme, while we're not actually laying bets on it in the Staff Room, let's just say we're pessimistically resigned to seeing the usual assortment of unpleasantnesses (aka "variety of appalling bloodbaths") with optimism being comprehensively dashed to pieces.

I was sure I had given the space zombies the slip. First of all, they no longer showed up on my long range sensors. Secondly, I had seen the bridge of their starship and doubted it was possible to perform complex cross-galactic maneuvers using eight pushbuttons, four pilot lights, two of those rotary knobs from a 1970s tape recorder and a speaker that occasionally went "beep". But when I heard the sound of a chainsaw coming from the transporter room I realized I had been wrong.

@Laura R Hepworth .... Hope .... This is a story which has a kind of steampunk feel.

@THX1138 .... The Evolution of Optimism .... This is a story with an ending that I sure didn't see coming, but it did make me grin.

@Cat's Cradle .... Taking a Flyer .... This is a story which rejoices in the continual forward march of individual rights.

@Ian Fortytwo .... The Mice! .... This is a story that has a sense of inevitability about it as well as being optimistic in an unusual way.

I so wanted to write something funny. A milkman came to mind. However, once thought of, some things... well they demand respect.

Note - fluffy "Mad Max" bunny will make an appearence in the 300. More words with which to be silly.

I wanted to be the retrofuturist, although I see stone punk occurred to @Luiglin already (and in fact has its own TV tropes page). Never an original thought...

This genre seems to have oiled the creativity gears of the Chronosphere!

Many apologies up front: I don't know much at all about the various types of 'punk' literature, so I will be making up names as I go along (but not, I hope, disrespectfully.)

@Laura R Hepworth .... Hope .... A clockwork-punk foray into the world of politics and revolution.

@THX1138 .... The Evolution of Optimism .... This blend of atomic-punk, clockwork-punk and steampunk veers swiftly into the universe of Star Trek.

@Cat's Cradle .... Taking a Flyer .... A cheerful robopunk look at the future of the relations between humans and their technological slaves.

@Ian Fortytwo .... The Mice! .... An interesting, experimental-laboratorypunk look at the contribution of humanity to a future without humans.

@Starbeast .... Time & Space .... An optimistic, steampunk sashay into the everyday struggles of an author.

@Luiglin .... Renaissance Man .... A beautiful shared moment from history, looking hopefully towards the future - renaissance-punk?

@Guttersnipe .... Were the Moone Indeed Made of Greene Cheese .... A steampunk tale of the hubris of the British, their Empire, and the irresistible attraction of mouldy cheese.

@Stable .... Lithography .... Wahey, stone-punk!! A tale of striving and success.

@paranoid marvin .... They Paved Paradise .... Yes, they did, and then put up a parking lot, like they always do. I suspect this is pop- or folk-music punk.

@Laura R Hepworth - Hope - The text reminds me of a door to a world at war. Very good.

@THX1138 - The Evolution of Optimism - The machine replacing man in adverse situations. I liked it.

@Cat's Cradle - Taking a Flyer - A very good analogy about the crazy world we live in regarding work and time.

@Ian Fortytwo - The Mice! - I really liked this text. It reminds me of so many things that I got a little lost about what to write here. I think the main points are crowd effect and propaganda. Very good!

@Starbeast - Time & Space - Money moves the world regardless of time and space, and this is clear, with a touch of love. :-D

@Luiglin - Renaissance Man - Sweet, real, and fun. Congratulations on the sensational text.

@Guttersnipe - Were the Moone Indeed Made of Greene Cheese - I laughed when I read it. The worst part is that humanity isn’t prepared for this. I kept thinking about the repercussions in the world. S-E-N-S-A-T-I-O-N-A-L.

@Stable - Lithography - Complex text. I read it four times to understand its depth, but it brings me salvation, hope, and the mistakes of humanity.

@paranoid marvin - They Paved Paradise - Beautiful, touching, very good, and extremely real text. Despite all the messages we convey as writers, the world still hasn’t learned that if we continue this way, we won’t have a world.

@Luiglin .... Renaissance Man .... This story is a slice of life about someone I think I've heard of.

@Guttersnipe .... Were the Moone Indeed Made of Greene Cheese .... This is a story of opportunity gone wrong.

@Stable .... Lithography .... This story helps us to consider that truth that energy is where you find it.

@paranoid marvin .... They Paved Paradise .... A story that points us to the truth that optimism in one thing is always ill placed for another.

Back