College students used Meta’s smart glasses to dox people in real time

I had to look up what "dox" meant...

I'm not sure that "dox" is the right word for this. To Dox is to search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the internet, typically with malicious intent. Where is the "malicious intent"? Where is it being "published"? If it's already searchable then it isn't "private". It's simply technology. Once we all have a chip inserted directly into our brains then everyone will be consulting the internet 24/7/365. And advertisers will know exactly who you are when you enter shops, just like Tom Cruise in Minority Report. It's all "progress" apparently.

God the future is going to be absolute garbage.

I would guess the Dox part comes from the fact they are streaming video into the system to make the identification--that that does publish it somewhere in the net which does violate privacy. From that video and matching it with massive sources of information already available they can get identification and other information about the person they are streaming.

Then there might be other words for how they put that information to use.

I don't know. That feels different to the deliberate turning of the world into a William Gibson/George Orwell dystopia. I think it's hard for normal people to understand, but there are a lot fair number of folk out there who would actively like to live in some kind of tyranny, provided that they got to do some of the kicking.

Admittedly, I feel rough this morning.

When you attend a concert you do so anonymously.
If totally strangers just have to put on their internet-linked glasses with face-recognition and then address you with your first name and ask about your illness, how would you respond?
Even when they don't ask the idea they can, and some surely will, is horrifying.

If it can do that much digging around, it would seem the perfect tool for stalkers.
And could give rise to a whole new industry – Fake persona generation
Even if you can’t already, if you had the money you could probably hide behind fake ids and multiple layers of shell personas so nothing definitive of you can be found, or what there is mired in so much other stuff to be useless.
I could see a version of this being great on holiday.
You look around and the AI trawls for all the interesting facts it can find about buildings/artworks and the histories behind them.

If it can do that much digging around, it would seem the perfect tool for stalkers.
And could give rise to a whole new industry – Fake persona generation
Even if you can’t already, if you had the money you could probably hide behind fake ids and multiple layers of shell personas so nothing definitive of you can be found, or what there is mired in so much other stuff to be useless.
I could see a version of this being great on holiday.
You look around and the AI trawls for all the interesting facts it can find about buildings/artworks and the histories behind them.
Fake IDs such as “CupofJoe” or “Harpo” - it’ll never catch on

but there are a lot fair number of folk out there who would actively like to live in some kind of tyranny, provided that they got to do some of the kicking
Rather unwisely, they also expect that'll never be the ones being kicked.

As they say on the internet, "I never thought leopards would eat me!" says man who voted for the Leopards-Eating-People Party.

That party was almost sane compared to its breakaway faction, one of whose supporters said, "I never thought leopards would eat my face!" said a voter for the Leopards-Eating-People's-Faces Party.

That party was almost sane compared to its breakaway faction, one of whose supporters said, "I never thought leopards would eat my face!" said a voter for the Leopards-Eating-People's-Faces Party.
Was that Carol Vorderman by any chance?

Back