Your top 3-5 favorite Science-fiction writers currently?

Great topic, Dave. In no particular order:

Iain M. Banks - Currently going through these in audio book format, Banks is without question my favourite writer. (Okay, this one is in particular order. :LOL:) His use of the English language was exquisite and he always showed a boundless imagination, dark and witty writing, he sublimed too soon and is sorely missed. Personal favourites are The Player of Games and Surface Detail.

Dan Abnett - Particularly the Gaunt's Ghosts series, which is superb. Currently going through my third re-read of the series.

Adrian Tchaikovsky - I've loved everything that i've read, so far. Particular favourites are The Dogs of War and some of his short stories, like Ogres.

Edmund Cooper - As a teenager, he is the author that i'd credit with getting me into Science Fiction. Before then, it was mostly tie in books.

Possibly Neal Asher as he's written more books that i've thoroughly enjoyed. But in truth, Douglas Adams for his Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy series. With the exception of digital watches, (which are still a neat idea), I think the series hasn't aged, at all. It's as funny now as it was in the 80's I adore this series and have read, heard and seen everything that i know of. Radio series, TV series, Movie, Audio books and audio drama. Like Banks, his humour and use of language was just brilliant. I read and enjoyed Dirk Gently, but it doesn't have the same spart of genius that THHGTTG has. RIP, Douglas.

Vernor Vinge
Cordwainer Smith
Theodore Sturgeon
Harlan Ellison
Phillip K Dick

David Weber -- #1 in Military SF
CJ Cherryh -- The Best Aliens
Robert Heinlein -- Great stores
Laurence Dahner -- Hopeful stories with a substantial thought of how a seemingly minor change in abilities would change the world.

*** The bad thing about this list is that only one of them is writing much these days, and then not at their peak.

How did I forget Martha Wells? I love the Murderbot.

Back