Cool cat hep talk

He mentions Cloud Nine in the song - I think I posted a clip somewhere in Chrons where he was doing the twist in the Cloud Nine Dance Hall.

I remember my mother giving it "shush!" when I was a kid because she didn't want to miss his hep cat dialogue.

The Fonz must have copied him for coolness (and the comb movements)

I remember watching Grease in the cinema with my first wife, the dancehall scene began...
"Wow look, it's Kookie!"
She was like "Who?"

All of the terms sound familiar to a California Boy; though my age was expressed in a single digit at the time portrayed. I was never familiar with that Sunset strip TV show, and that looks more like my parent's generation; though many of the terms lingered for another decade, or so.

I speculate that the dialogue sounds stilted A) because it was deliberately exaggerated for comedic effect, in that there are too many terms packed into each sentence; and/or 2) The Actors came from a straight-laced, Midwestern Millieu and the jive doesn't groove as well as it would among Hep Cats bopping to Cool Jazz down at the smokey bohemian coffee house. Dig?

We are way too busy grooving to need bedroom walls, man.

grooveme.jpg

A short YouTube clip:-
The intro to 77 Sunset Strip and then some Kookie talk
It reminds me of Airplane "I can speak jive"

It was cool show, ive see a few episodes . Then in the last season of the show ratings were falling so what happed was Jack Webb of Dragnet fame was brought in as executive producer. He got rid of most of the cast except for Ephram Zimbalist jr and the show quickly tanked in the ratings and was cancelled.

June 1960 "Sad Sack and the Sarge" Harvey Comic (bought in the local Woolworths). I'd have been 8 or 9 when I first read it. I thought this new character "Hi-Fi Hoffman" was ever so cool and exciting....

1729591569890.jpeg

Attachments

• 1729591018321.jpeg
    1729591018321.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited: