Cannot find a 1990s/early 2000s story about (ultimately erroneous) biological differences between Catholics/Protestants/ alternate history

Listenet

Hi
I am looking for a story I found in a book anthology over 20, maybe even 25 years ago:
A 16th-century scientist discovers that the blood of Catholics and Protestants is biologically different under the microscope. This discovery is treated as a scientific fact for centuries, fueling divisions and influencing major events in history, much like race or ethnicity might in our world. The religious and political implications of this discovery echo through time, shaping societal structures and justifying religious segregation.

One hunch I had when browsing through all TOCs of Dozois' anthologies was this story in the ninth anthology:
Ian McDonald: "Fragments of an Analysis of a Case of Hysteria"
It might be it or it might be not, but I cannot find any summary (or bootlegged pdf) on Google, and thus cannot check.

Does anyone recognize author and title of the story I am searching for?

Hi
I am looking for a story I found in a book anthology over 20, maybe even 25 years ago:
A 16th-century scientist discovers that the blood of Catholics and Protestants is biologically different under the microscope. This discovery is treated as a scientific fact for centuries, fueling divisions and influencing major events in history, much like race or ethnicity might in our world. The religious and political implications of this discovery echo through time, shaping societal structures and justifying religious segregation.

One hunch I had when browsing through all TOCs of Dozois' anthologies was this story in the ninth anthology:
It might be it or it might be not, but I cannot find any summary (or bootlegged pdf) on Google, and thus cannot check.

Does anyone recognize author and title of the story I am searching for? It sounds like him.

Ian says it is one of his - from an anthology of Tales of the Wandering Jew commissioned by Brian Stableford

He’s a great writer who often explores dual natures (we Norn Irish have such confused cultures!) and well worth exploring more of

Last edited:
"Fragments of an Analysis of a Case of Hysteria" is indeed a story by Ian McDonald but it's not the story the querent is looking for.
It's also in the ninth edition of the world's best science fiction - I have it.

The McDonald story is about Jews betraying each other to the SS to avoid being sent to the death camps

Hi

Does anyone recognize author and title of the story I am searching for?

Could it possibly be "Three Hearings on the Existence of Snakes in the Human Bloodstream" by James Alan Gardner? It first appeared in Asimov's, Feb '97, and I remember it from an anthology I have called "Galileo's Children". I managed to find a copy online in text form here.

Could it possibly be "Three Hearings on the Existence of Snakes in the Human Bloodstream" by James Alan Gardner? It first appeared in Asimov's, Feb '97, and I remember it from an anthology I have called "Galileo's Children". I managed to find a copy online in text form here.
Oh good find, it fits very well with the original question - well done

Back