Avoiding Racism in Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with a significant portion of this. I think it shows a deep misunderstanding of Tolkiens attitudes and his underlying motivations. The conclusion that biological based traits are always rooted in some sort of racism would seriously limit creative output.

The idea that Fantasy would be improved if we could change Tolkiens writings, we end up with a morally grey story. Tolkien was clear in his High Fantasy that good and evil exist, and are represented in biological form, although the redemption of the Orc is an interesting topic, more so than a concept of Orcs being a stand in and in universe representation of Tolkiens racism.

Anywah, I'm not sure we can discuss this here without breaking some of the Chrons rules, but I did find this to be a well written piece and wish you all the best with your midterms or other endeavours!

This is a seriously interesting topic, especially the way it highlights that writers can - without realizing it - transpose damaging cultural archetypes into their stories.

Unfortunately, much as I'd love to see something like this discussed in terms of fantasy fiction, chrons isn't the place to do it as it will inevitably lead to discussion on the subject of racism, rather than it's application in fiction - and we're just not geared up for that sort of thing as it will simply create fiction within the community. Hence @clarissajaneen why we have a general ban on discussion of social politics as well as politics 9and religion!) on the forums.

Perhaps a more constructive discussion could be generated by tackling the subject from the opposite end - how to build more interesting fantasy races. Anyway, thread closed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.