Black Company

littlemissattitude said:
Thanks for the warning, G., but I just checked the online catalog, and it looks like my library system has several of Cook's titles, including at least the first three Black Company books.
OH that is good news then, check them out and let us know what you think.. :)
BTW it's true that a lot of pulbic libraries can stock these books, I was thinking more in terms of someone wishing to purchase them brand new off the shelf as it were.

Yep, if you have the time Finvarre, you may as well read the last 2 books to find out what happens... :D

finvarre, I was planning on skipping all the books until the last one, and then all the main characters die, except for Shai'tan. That would be alright, for me at least. I don't think Jordan can write a satisfying ending now - it's going to be cliched, or it's not going to end, or it's going to be disappointing.

Why can't we have a discussion about Glen Cook on this board without the thread being highjacked by chat on authors with more representation here ?
:rolleyes:

Because everyone likes Glen Cook! We've all said that we like Glen Cook, and no one has said that they don't, so there isn't any argument going on.

Seems like we don't have the same opinion on all novels of the saga.

Murgen forever. :p

I was trying to find the short story by Glen Cook where he seemed to be practicing his style. The story was in a collection of dragon short stories though it was a fairly long one. I think the collection was called 'Dragons of Darkness.' My bookshelves are in a terrible dissarray so I can't put my finger on it. Anyone know the reference?

Leto said:
Seems like we don't have the same opinion on all novels of the saga.

Murgen forever. :p

Well, this seems an interesting opinion, Leto. But I'd have to read the last 2 volumes in order to know Murgen better. For me he was just a bore who stole the Chronicler's job from Croaker! See, I don't have to like Murgen in order to like Croaker, but if you like Murgen best, you had to like the previous volumes (where Croaker was the narrator) enough to read on till the 7th one where Murgen took his place:D .

OK, Brys, I agree with you this time. Skipping through the remaining volumes and reading only the final one is a good idea - with WoT, at least:rolleyes: . BTW, I believe it's NOT going to end, so no cliche there.

andycook said:
I was trying to find the short story by Glen Cook where he seemed to be practicing his style. The story was in a collection of dragon short stories though it was a fairly long one. I think the collection was called 'Dragons of Darkness.' My bookshelves are in a terrible dissarray so I can't put my finger on it. Anyone know the reference?
He wrote a sci-fi novel named The Dragon that never sleeps, maybe the short-story is a part of it. The title would suit him well.

Finvarre, I love Croacker but I love to see him ageing through someone else eyes too. And who state Murgen as narrator, also state Murgen's inlaws. (with at least one of them a great friend of the company sorcerers ;) ). The first 3 are my favorites, but not because Cook's plot or style was less strong after. Simply because my favorite cast either died (Silent, other sorcerer (which I won't spoil) or stayed behind, or simply aged. New cast had to blend into the company and it's not always the case.

OK, I tore apart my bookshelves and found it....no really, the book was on the shelf at eye-level. The collection is "Dragons of Darkness" edited by Orson Scott Card and the Glen Cook story is 'Filed Teeth.' One character is called Lord Hammer.

andycook said:
OK, I tore apart my bookshelves and found it....no really, the book was on the shelf at eye-level. The collection is "Dragons of Darkness" edited by Orson Scott Card and the Glen Cook story is 'Filed Teeth.' One character is called Lord Hammer.
I assume you're referring to the Ace edition of the early 1980s. That story forms part of the Dread Empire Series from memory. Not a bad read but Black Company is stiil my No. 1 Cook offering.....:D

For the Croaker fans amongst you he basically narrrates/chronicles the final book Soldiers Live.....:D :D

The final book brings home the harsh reality of war with interest but beyond that my lips are sealed...:p

October (and the first release of Soldiers Live here) is not so far away that I can't survive.

Just a quick question : is Soulcatcher in ?

Leto said:
October (and the first release of Soldiers Live here) is not so far away that I can't survive.

Just a quick question : is Soulcatcher in ?
UM... What can I say, Soulcatcher "lurks" a bit like GOLLUM really.... ;) , now my lips are really being sealed with extra strength DROOL...... :p :p

No drooling on her, go get her sister. You could wet my dear Croacker ! :p :D

The Black has a very offbeat style , it not for everybody . The closest writer to him in terms of story is Steven Erickson.