Main Stanley Kubrick Exhibition - Melbourne

GOLLUM

Hi all...:D

The Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) in Melbourne last night opened with the help of actor Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange), Stanley Kubrick's widow, Christiane Kubrick and Kubrick's brother-in-law Jan Harlan the exhibition, Stanley Kubrick: Inside the mind of a visionary filmmaker for the first time since its original appearance 2 years previously in Germany.

This exhibition primarily aims to provide people with the opportunity to see behind the scenes of Stanley's movies, and to witness the creative process and detailed thinking he put into each project.

The exhibition celebrates the life and career of one of the twentieth century's most influential directors who created such films as 2001 - A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange. It basically plots Kubrick's early career as a magazine photographer, following his progression to iconic and influential filmmaker.

Over 1,000 pieces of iconic film history from the personal collection of Stanley Kubrick, some never before seen, will be on display tracing Kubrick's near 50 year career through installations, film stills, sound, light and music.

The exhibition will also feature original props, models, costumes, reconstructed set pieces, cameras, technical equipment and extensive working and research documents including his work on the film Napoleon which never reached celluloid.

I look forward to visting the exhibition in the next few days and encourage any other members in Melbourne to do so, especially if you have an interest in film and the film making process.

I'm never quite sure how to feel about Kubrick's work.
On the one hand he did make some of the most striking films of the 60's & early 70s but I just feel that his main accomplishment seemed to have been that he wasn't very prolific!
I'm not saying that you have to had made x number of films to be considered a true great, I just think having a larger body of work allows people to get more of an insight into you talents and whether or not you just 'got lucky'.
I'm not saying this as a slight to Kubrick - I love & have several of his films, I just think if any British director deserves the label visionary it's Hitchcock. :)

That's perhaps a relevant point you make but there's also another school of thought which applauds quality not quantity. Of course that's not to imply that Hichcock wasn't a great director, IMO he was.

Obviously he's not made as many films as other noteworthy directors but then he apparently poured an awful lot of time and effort into the films he did make, let's not forget that. So perhaps that in itself was a reason for his lower output than other artists.

Anyway I for one am looking forward to checking out this exhibition. I hope to post a report on it here for anyone interested....:D

Back