Julian May

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
The Saga of the Exiles (Many Coloured Land, Golden Torc, Non Born King, The Adversary).
Wonderful books mixing fantasy and sci-fi 6 million years ago in Earth's Pliocene era.
Nobody seems to have mentioned them here so I thought I may as well - and recommend them most highly.

There were another set written covering first contact and the formation of a Galactic Milieu. They were ok but never seemed to capture the magic of the Pliocene books.
If you're looking for something to read, check them out.

I've had Julian May's work recommended to me by a few people, but I've never gotten around to reading any of it. Don't know why, as I've already documented my love of anything even vaguely suggesting time travel.
smile.gif

I read The Golden Torc but the story just didn't do it for me. I can't recall there being anything specifically wrong but I guess it just wasn't my type of thing.

Of course it was a long time ago so maybe I should give it another go.

Someone wanted to submit a review for alternative-worlds about Julian May covering all of the works - seems the whole writings go from millions of years in the past, to thousands of years in the future.

However, it was simply too general a comment on the author itself, rather than any individual novels, so I had to reject it.

I read the Saga of the Exiles several times in my teens and loved it. The Many Coloured Land is a bit confusing to begin with as there are so many disparate threads. However, once Mr May begins to draw the threads together, the story becomes better and better. In particular, I remember the characters of Felice and Aiken Drum were very strong. I would add my recommendation to those who haven't read these, :) though I confess that I never got around to reading his other works. :eek: This was mainly because of the long gap between publication dates. I got distracted and moved on to other authors.

Please don't laugh at me but I always thought Julian May was a woman :eek:

The following list includes only adult novels written by Julian May Julian May (b. 1931) is a science fiction writer, best known for her Saga of Pliocene Exile (British series title, Saga of the Exiles) and Galactic Milieu books. She grew up in Chicago, and became involved in science fiction fandom in her late teens. She sold her first professional fiction, a short story called "Dune Roller", in 1951 to John W. Campbell's Astounding Science Fiction

As you can see rune, you are correct. Julian May is a woman :)

I love these books!! I read them in my 20's, and again quite recently......only thing is, I have never been able to source 'The Adversary'.
I loved the idea of an Alien race being in control of things in the Pleocene, and especially the Firvulag shape shifters. Terrific stuff!!

Foxbat said:
As you can see rune, you are correct. Julian May is a woman :)
Rats! What is it with these women anyway? First they want equal rights, but they want men to still be courteous and gentlemanly towards them... now they're stealing our names! I'm reminded of the line from 'Life of Brian':

'What's the matter, Stan?'
'I want to be a woman and have babies. From now on I want you all to refer to me as Loretta!'

Well, it's something like that - I really must give the video a dusting down and brush up on my quotes!:) Anyway, I think it's most unfair that these girls are sneaking onto my bookshelves pretending to be men!

only thing is, I have never been able to source 'The Adversary'.

I replaced my dog-eared copy a couple of years ago. I got it from Amazon and believe that it's still available :)

Foxbat said:
I replaced my dog-eared copy a couple of years ago. I got it from Amazon and believe that it's still available :)
Ah yes.....I have only fairly recently (this year) begun purchasing from the net....it was necessary given that we moved to a remote location in Western Australia.
I will check it out, thank you.

Oh and, can I pick up a Golden Torc there as well?? :)

Oh and, can I pick up a Golden Torc there as well??

I haven't checked for a while but I believe they are all available. If not, there are probably a few second-hand copies doing the rounds :)

Sorry man, I was being stupid.....I actually meant a 'real' torc!!

I have the first three books.

Foxbat said:
The Saga of the Exiles (Many Coloured Land, Golden Torc, Non Born King, The Adversary).
Wonderful books mixing fantasy and sci-fi 6 million years ago in Earth's Pliocene era.
Nobody seems to have mentioned them here so I thought I may as well - and recommend them most highly.
Thanks Foxbat.. I had forgotten these books.. well on my upper level of what passes for consciousness anyway.. they were still there deeper awaiting a reminder! Massive imagination involved and very clever books I agree.. a real mouthful to read but well worth the effort..

Who knew she was a woman? Blimey you learn something every day here! :) As Mark said.. "What is it with these women anyway? First they want equal rights, but they want men to still be courteous and gentlemanly towards them... now they're stealing our names!" Bit of a cheek! I do like to know these things.. :D

Aiken Drum?

Mark Urpen said:
I read the Saga of the Exiles several times in my teens and loved it. The Many Coloured Land is a bit confusing to begin with as there are so many disparate threads. However, once Mr May begins to draw the threads together, the story becomes better and better. In particular, I remember the characters of Felice and Aiken Drum were very strong.
There is an song I use in my classroom called Aiken Drum. It's about a man who lives on the moon. His hair is made of spaghetti, eyes of meatballs etc. and he plays upon a ladle. Is there any connection to May's Aiken Drum?

Re: Aiken Drum?

mzarynn said:
There is an song I use in my classroom called Aiken Drum. It's about a man who lives on the moon. His hair is made of spaghetti, eyes of meatballs etc. and he plays upon a ladle. Is there any connection to May's Aiken Drum?
I don't remember any reference to the rhyme, but I do remember one character making a cryptic comment about Aiken reminding him of some historical figure, but not remembering who. It was very annoying because I thought the author would return to this and they didn't. :mad:

I am a fan of the books I mention below.
I really liked Jack The Bodiless trilogy. The big question in my mind is what series of books to recommend to a friend, or in what order to read them to get the best experience. Sure there is some slow spots but I loved getting to know some of the characters at length by reading all of the books.:)

I started with JtB trilogy, then the Surveillence/The Adversary ones etc. then on to The Pliocene Exile. I might have slipped a Pliocene in there earlier somewhere.:rolleyes:

I tend to be chauvanistic in my selections, but I really enjoyed these books. And I don't like fantasy (some elements) that much, but I enjoyed The Pliocene Exile/Golden Torc series.:eek:

Its been a few years since I've read any of them. Memory fades. :confused:

I will say I picked up something different/newer by JM in a bag sale once & it was 'aannnhhh".:p

best regards, M