Fantasy: Untitled (as of yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mera'din

This is a novel I've been working on for a few weeks now. I've made more progress on it than any other attempt at a story in the past, and I have a good feeling about it so please be gentle in your critique. Feel free to comment on any grammar/spelling/consistency mistakes as you read. I'll post the story chapter by chapter, adding them every once in a while. I've already written up to chapter 8, so there's plenty of content coming.

=============================================

Chapter One

West of the Cirenthel Mountains, a delicate breeze cut through the scattered clumps of trees laid randomly across the plains of Leuss. Leaves of orange and red detached from their branches, following the lure that was the wind. They flew in all directions, spiralling upwards then gently floating down, only to once again be caught in the swirling current. The color of the trees suggested a change in season. Summer was being left behind, leaving room for fall to make its appearance. An azure sheet had been blanketed across the sky, merging with the bright orange flow radiating from the globe that rested halfway above the horizon.

A series of small hills rose from the earth, forming a crescent shape that encased a quaint house. The breeze bent the grass in waves as it surpassed the hills and met the home behind them. Plain white curtains fluttered softly inside an open window that allowed the cool morning air to penetrate the household. A leaf that had remained captured in the wind was carried through the opening. It came to rest in the hair of a young man who lay asleep.

The invading leaf stirred the youth, and his eyes slowly fluttered open. Crow d’Auru yawned, shutting his eyes once more from the sun’s persistent shine. He reached up to his sandy brown hair and retrieved the leaf that had woken him. Still adjusting to the light, he held it before him. When it came into focus, he blinked, as if it were out of place. He had not fully realized until now that autumn was no longer approaching, and now rested outside his home and all over Leuss. The relaxing summer days would not return for another year, he admitted to himself reluctantly.

Letting another yawn escape his lips, Crow swung his legs out from beneath the quilt his father had made him, and sat up on the edge of his bed. He stretched his muscles, shivering despite the fall warmth, partly from the cold boards beneath his feet, and partly from the breeze that left strands of hair strewn over his eyes. After standing, he reviewed his appearance in the mirror across the room. His hair was a mess, and as always, his pale green eyes stared back at him. Those had always caught him a fair bit of attention. Most people were born with blue or brown eyes. Only once every few years had a child been born with green eyes, or so his father had told him. He still wasn’t sure whether he did so to make Crow feel unique or different.

It wasn’t until he began thinking of his father that he realized the usual smell of eggs and bacon he had grown accustomed to each morning was absent. Curious, Crow threw on a clean linen shirt and a pair of faded cotton pants before exiting his room. As he had expected, the house was silent. Nothing in the kitchen had been moved from its place the night before, and the shutters in the den were still shut. He made his way through to the back of the house, not necessarily worried, but still unsettled. When he came to his father’s room, he paused, listening through the thick oak door. For a few moments, it was as silent on the other side as the rest of the house. Finally, Crow heard blankets being ruffled, accompanied by the soft squeaking of a bed. He sighed in relief, unsure of what exactly had had been expecting. His hand found the brass door handle, but before opening, he tapped softly on the hard wood. Again, his father stirred, and he heard a hoarse response that sounded like, “Come in, Crow.”

The door swung open, and crow found himself looking down at a pale, sickly imitation of Balen d’Auru. Despite his appearance, his father was smiling, the same one he wore every day. Whether it was forced or not, Crow was unsure.

“Father, are you alright?” Crow inquired, kneeling next to the bed with a concerned expression. “You don’t look too well.”

Balen dismissed the state with the wave of his hand. “Nonsense. I’ve just caught some bug going around the village. I’ll be up before morning’s done, with a little rest.” His voice sounded strained. “Before that, even, if you’ll ride down to Arren and fetch some herbs from Emlain.” Arren lay less than twenty minutes south on horseback. It could be called Crow and Balen’s home, since they went there every day for food and other supplies. They were friends with the majority of the friendly villagers, partially because Balen was the village’s tailor, and a good one at that.

Crow stood, no longer worried. “Of course. I’ll be back in an hour, less if Emlain doesn’t have to prepare the remedy. What’s ailing you, so I know what to request?”

With a grunt of effort, Balen pushed himself into a sitting position, readjusting his pillow against the headboard. “A bit of a fever, I think, and a terrible headache.” He massaged his temples with his hands as he spoke. “She’ll most likely suggest hare’s breath, or leafsoul. Here,” He reached over to his bedside table and pulled open a drawer, removing three silver coins from a small leather drawstring purse. “This should cover the cost of the medicine, and a little more. See if Allaron has any black thread she can spare, and use what’s left of that to buy a spool or two, if she has. I’ve got to finish Tiemlo’s coat before he leaves for Esereth in a few days.”

Nodding in assent, Crow took the coins. He hugged Balen, then, after donning his boots from his room, left the house and headed for the stable where his nearly all black mare, Artag, was just beginning to feed on a bale of hay. The horse had champion legs and ran like the wind blew. Crow saddled her, and a few minutes later, was trotting down the dirt road that led to Arren.

The air had become more still, and the day’s heat became more evident as Crow made his way south. Each year summer seemed to last longer, carrying its weather late into the season. He did not have to ride long in the warm conditions before he topped a large hill and found himself gazing down at Arren. The village was full of activity. A group of children played a game that only they seemed the understand in a garden at the edge of town; a plump young woman hung dripping clothes from a line to dry; a small collection of elderly folk sat lazily on a porch, smoking pipe tobacco and conversing in cheerful tones. Arren was his home, and had been for as long as he could remember. Balen had once told him how they moved out of Taius to seek a quieter home. Crow had been young, then, and remembered nothing the busy nation his father had described to him.

Heeling Artag on, Crow rode into the village. He passed the tavern and inn, where Tiemlo’s wife, Amerra, leaned over the balcony, admiring the day. She waved to him with a smile, and he called out hello. The general store, a story shorter than the inn but nearly half again as wide, sat next in line, and Crow directed Artag to the front, where he dismounted and tied the reigns firmly to a wooden post. He fed the mare a sugar cube then made his way inside.

The store was quiet in the mornings, usually gathering most of its business late in the afternoon. A dozen or more rows of shelves filled the large structure, supporting various foods and other items that were purchased from Esereth and the other larger cites and towns in Leuss. He found the threads quickly, but could locate the spool Balen required. Hopefully a shipment would arrive that week, or else he would not be able to finish Tiemlo’s coat in time. Crow was about to leave the store when he heard Allaron’s melodious voice from behind. “Couldn’t find what you were looking for?”

Crow turned around to see the tallest woman he believed he would ever see. She stood behind the counter, nearly a head taller than he, and he was considered tall among Leussian men. She was handsome rather than pretty, but she carried a beautiful voice that had pleased more than one Arren resident each festival. Perhaps that was what had managed to persuaded Shael, one of the most attractive men in Arren, to marry her. More than a few girls still felt contempt against her for stealing him away. “Aye,” he approached the counter. “When do you expect the next delivery of thread spools?”

Allaron shrugged. “Next week, I’d say, although I suppose I can manage in three or four days if it’s urgent. For Balen, I assume?”

He nodded, reaching into his pocket for the silver. “It is urgent. Would it be better to pay you now? Or when would be the best time to return?”

The tall woman seemed about to speak, and then paused for a moment. She seemed to be thinking to herself. Finally she spoke, “Does it have to be particularly good quality? Or will any sort do?” The questioning look on Crow’s face hinted that he was unsure. “Well, if not… hold on a moment. She retreated into the back of the store, and returned a few seconds later, wrapping a long black thread around an empty spool. “I was planning on using this for a dress, but I don’t have a time limit like Balen usually does.” When crow tried to pay Allaron for it, she shook her head defiantly. “No charge. It’s not coming out of inventory, and you and Balen have always been loyal customers. Be sure to give my regards to your father.”

As graciously as possible, Crow accepted the gift and with a quick goodbye, left the store. He untied Artag’s reigns and began his ride farther into the village. He passed many houses, greeting several people, including travelers who were just making their way through the town. As he rode past the blacksmith’s forge, Mërth Be’elmin exited the large opening in the front, sweating profusely and breathing hard. The rhythmic sound of a hammer on metal echoed from inside. The blacksmith probably had his apprentice, Loman, working until every muscle in his body ached.

“Hail, Crow!” Mërth called out him through his labored breathing, wiping a thick layer of grime from his forehead and smearing it on his apron. “What brings you back to Arren this early? Surely you and Balen haven’t already eaten through so much of the food you purchased yesterday that you can’t even make breakfast.”

Laughing at the thought, Crow brought Artag to a halt closer to the smith. “No, father’s just grown ill since last night. I’m just here to see Emlain about a remedy.”

“Sick, you say?” The sinewy man stroked his grizzled chin in thought. “If I remember correctly, Jayla and her daughter Elliel have fallen ill, and Tanco as well. Seems to be some sort of sickness spreading through here. My bet would be that it’s from one of those dirty beggars who come through here every so often.”

“Aye, that’s what father said.” Crow looked around the village. People here rarely got sick in masses, and he didn’t want to risk catching anything. Still, he enjoyed speaking with friends, no matter how often he saw them. He gestured with a nod of his head to the forge where the ringing continued its periodic tempo. “What’s got you and Loman working so hard?”

Mërth sighed heavily, looking very tired all of the sudden. “We received an order from Esereth yesterday for fifty new blades.”

Crow’s jaw fell. “Fifty?” He managed to voice the number, and it still seemed surreal. Esereth’s defensive force, the Llumin, consisted of several hundred highly trained swordsmen. They rarely accepted newcomers, and even they were given new swords made by a hired blacksmith from the city. Ordering from Mërth was no surprise; his skill was unquestionable. But fifty new blades seemed excessive for even a city smith. After regaining his composure, Crow inquired further, “What could the Llumin want with fifty new swords? That would have to mean they’ve ordered just as many, if not more, from other blacksmiths around Leuss, if they’re coming to a small town like Arren for aid.”

“You’re asking the wrong person.” Mërth seemed ready to continue speaking, but a loud crash from inside the forge startled both of them, and an even louder curse followed. The smith bid Crow farewell and raced back inside. “What did you break this time, you steel-headed fool?”

It was all Crow could do to suppress a chuckle, although no one would have heard him. Loman was rather clumsy, a trait no blacksmith wanted. The fool was so determined to be just like his mentor though, that Mërth could not turn him down. Crow heeled Artag back into the road, the sounds of the apprentice’s explanation trailing behind him.

A few minutes more ride brought Crow to the front of a building separated from the rest. It was a timid little house, with an almost ancient appearance. Crow dismounted and tied up Artag before knocking on oak door with wistful clouds and other bizarre shapes and forms. A muffled “Come in” escaped from inside, and Crow turned the knob. He was immediately overwhelmed with a variety of incense, the noxious fumes tantalizing him and drawing him in. No one but Emlain herself could stand the mix of aromas for very long, and sure enough, Crow found the Healer seated on the floor at a low table, pouring over dozens of parchments containing notes. Various small plants and weeds of all colors surrounded her. “Ah, Crow! Good morning to you, boy. To what do I owe the pleasure so early?” Her bright blue eyes, although in reality normal sized, appeared nearly three times larger behind her thick-rimmed glasses. Added with her frayed hair, and wild, almost artificial smile, and she seemed virtually inhuman.

His eyes watering from the heavy smoke, Crow made his way to the table and seated himself on the opposite side. It was all he could do not to cough. “Good morning Emlain. I’ve just come to see you about a cure for my father. He’s caught some sort of illness.”

Emlain nodded, and she began sorting through her papers, looking for something. With all of the sheaves spread out across the table, she no doubt had been looking for some time. “Fallen ill? With a fever and a headache, looking all ghostly and such? Yes, yes... I’ve been hearing about such a sickness for the past day or two. Jayla, Embla, Megrür… all with the same conditions.”

“Tanco too, according to Mërth,” Crow added. “Is there any way to prevent myself from catching the illness as well?”

“Poor Tanco Feild?” She went on, ignoring his question. “The cobbler, right? I always assumed him to be some sort of hermit, what with the little time he spends out and about in the village.”

Crow rolled his eyes, not worried whether the Healer would take offense. The eccentric woman was always making unjustified assumptions and claims; she was good at what she did, though, and every so often she managed to give some good advice. Arren appreciated her, despite her odd qualities. “Well, what sort of herb have you given to the others?”

“I haven’t yet,” She muttered under her breath. “Ah, here it is!” She withdrew a sheet of parchment from her pile. Crow had trouble reading its contents through the haze in the room. “I’ve been searching for this for some time now, the perfect concoction for this recent wave of poor health.” Before Crow could ask what it was, she hushed him with a quick hand gesture, looking at him as if he were a naughty child. “Feverfew is an old remedy passed down to me from my aunt, who received it from her mother, who received it from the daughter of Gehelbane herself!”

As she reminisced, Crow sat patiently, watching Emlain work. She gathered several herbs and plants, picking off leaves here, severing stems there. “Gehelbane, now she was a true Healer. She could Heal anything but death itself, or so my Aunt Illari told me.” She tossed everything into a bowl and began grinding it into mush with a round-headed stone. “Pity how she died, though. Fell ill with a most deadly disease traveling through the Cirenthel Mountains. It was easily curable though, and she wouldn’t have had any trouble doing so if those desolate mountains carried all of the ingredients. If I remember correctly, she was only missing the spores of mushroom that’s native to Taius.” She appeared extremely heartbroken for a moment before regaining her composure, turning her attention back to the potion before her. “Just a few more times around…” The leaves and stems had been reduced to a dark purple mush. Her wrinkled hand placed the stone on the table and retrieved a white stone vial from the shelf behind her. Unstopping it, she let two drops of some yellowish liquid fall into the bowl. Several wisps of smoke floated up from where they had hit, and the room was suddenly filled with a pleasant fragrance that momentarily rid Crow of the irritating incense.

With a satisfied smile that didn’t look too different from her typical one, Emlain distributed the contents of the bowl into ten stone vials. She tossed one to Crow, who just barely managed to catch it, and placed the others on the shelf. Crow found the silver coins in his coat pocket and set two of them on the table in front of the Healer. “Will this be enough to pay for it?”

For a moment, Emlain stared at the coins as if she had not expected payment, but that passed almost immediately and she snatched the silver tokens up off the table. “Well, feverfew requires several leaves from calendula, and that alone should cost two or three silver, but I suppose I’ll let it slide this time.” Crow was not sure whether she was bring serious or simply her old peculiar self. “I’ll wish your father recovers quickly, Crow.”

“Thank you Emlain.” He opened the door to the fresh air outside, and took as deep a breath as he could. The clean smell of Arren was much better than the intoxicating aromas brooding in the Healer’s home. Tendrils of smoke still leaked out from the base of the door and trailed behind him as he made his way back to Artag. He thought he could hear Emlain talking to herself about Gehelbane’s accomplishments.

Finally, I can get back to my father, he thought as he mounted his steed. He had been in Arren nearly an hour now, and Balen would be expecting him home. Hopefully the medicine would take effect quickly, so that he would not need to rest all day.

On the way back through town, Crow saw fewer people, but still acknowledged those he did. Ablian, a friend of Balen's; Jurdan, the local entertainer and storyteller; he even spotted Genrich, a peddler who visited Arren often. To all of them he called out hello and waved, and they returned his greeting. Crow realized how glad he was that he lived near such a friendly atmosphere.

As he drew near to the inn, his eyes fell upon a horse stationed at the front. It was a gorgeous steed with a white coat that was so near to silver. Crow's brow creased and he slowed Artag's pace to better examine the creature. No horse he had ever seen was clean cut or smooth as the one he gazed at now. Attempts to see the rider through the windows failed, and he eventually sighed and gave up. He quickened his horse's step, eager to get the feverfew to Balen.

The ride back seemed to take longer than on the way there, but twenty or so minutes after leaving the village, Crow was unsaddling Artag in the stable. Sweat glistened on his forehead from the rising heat as he entered the house. "Father, I've got the medicine!" He shouted.

"Ah, good boy." Balen appeared from the kitchen, carrying a cup with steam rising from its contents. He took a delicate sip before speaking again. "Gray tea. Always good for a headache. Come; let me see what Emlain has prescribed." His face looked more colorful than it had, and Crow felt relieved that the illness was nothing serious.

"Of course." Reaching into his coat pocket, he retrieved the stone vial and handed it to his father. "You were wrong, by the way. Emlain prepared you some feverfew."

"Feverfew?" Balen looked puzzled. "I haven't heard of using that for a headache and fever ever since leafsoul was discovered. I thought feverfew was weaker. Oh well, I suppose a Healer would know better than I." He unstopped the vial and tipped the open end over his tea. The purple concoction swirled around in the gray liquid and dissolved almost immediately. Balen lifted the cup to his lips and took another sip, cringing in distaste. "It tastes worse than leafsoul, I know that. Well, Crow, I think I'm going to take a nap and let this cure time to take effect. Make sure you get your chores done before you go running off." He added the last part when he saw Crow reaching for the door handle. "I don't think you need me to remind you more than once." With that, Balen retreated to his room, leaving Crow in the doorway looking insulted.

=============
End of Chapter One

Okay, first off, I’m reading this piece were I your editor. I try to point out grammar things, sentences that don’t ‘flow’ (indicated simply with flow) and things that I just notice. I’m not sure about everything, so you can sted everything you want, of course ;) Here we go…

He sighed in relief, unsure of what exactly had had been expecting.
*the first had should be he?

"Father, are you alright?"
*I’m never sure, but isn’t it all right ?

A group of children played a game that only they seemed the understand in a garden at the edge of town
*[…] to understand […]

He passed the tavern and inn […]
*Isn’t an inn the same as a tavern?

Not something wrong, but something that came in mind. When were sugar cubes invented? I tried to search for it, but couldn’t find anything about it. It seems so obvious to me, but I have no idea of they had sugar cubes in the time when the story plays. Just a (weird) thought.

[…] but could locate the spool Balen required.
*couldn’t. Also, isn’t it weird that Crow says ‘Balen’ instead of ‘his father’?

She was handsome rather than pretty, […]
*Isn’t pretty a synonym for handsome? Or am I missing something obvious?

"Hail, Crow!" Mërth called out him through […]
[…] called out to him
Also, Mërth is almost unpronounceable, or so it seems to me. How would you spell it in phonetics?

It was all Crow could do to suppress a chuckle, […]
*flow

Crow dismounted and tied up Artag before knocking on oak door with wistful clouds and other bizarre shapes and forms.
*[…] knocking on an oak door […]

Good morning to you, boy.
*Not critisims per se, but I think the term ‘lad’ is more often used than ‘boy’, because Crow seems like a young, but already strong lad. I happen to think a boy is really a five or six year old kid.

[…], appeared nearly three times larger behind her thick-rimmed glasses.
*Question:do you have any time reference when this plays? (See also sugar cube).

With all of the sheaves spread out […]
*Sheaves or sheets?

Crow had trouble reading its contents through the haze in the room.
*And also because his eyes are tearing because of the dense smoke.

She could Heal anything but death itself […]
*Capital?

Last, have you put any thought in the names of your characters? I don’t say they’re not good or pretty or whatsoever, but I had a look today on the Arda Encyclopedia, when I saw that most any name Tolkien thought of, had a meaning. Just a thought, not critique.

Dialogue: Uour dialogue is pretty good. My only point is that nothing happens when there is dialogue. (made up) Example:
"How are you feeling, Crow?" Balen asked.
"I feel fine, father, though the ride to Arren in the burning sun made me a bit tired. But that's nothing to worry about"
*Prsonally, I think the same words work better when you put it like this:
"Crow, Balen said, "How are you feeling?"
"I feel fine, father," Crow replied, "The ride to Arren in the burning sun made me a bit tired, though. And he swept some sweat from his brow, "But that's nothing to worry about. He added with a smile.
*You see what I mean?

Conclusion: Very nice story, I'd love to be your main editor ;)

I really like the small town atmosphere in this story - for a moment I'd forgotten Arren was a fictional town! Also, I like the characters here, as you do a good job making them realistic. Oh, and you did a wonderful job foreshadowing in a subtle fashion the seriousness of the disease (I'm assuming that's where this is going, anyways).

One suggestion, though - the whole 'examining oneself in a mirror' has been kicked to death in so many stories...maybe you should have the father comment on his messy hair, and one of the female characters comment on his green eyes. Just a thought.

I loved the pace in this, very much to my style. Slower than you usually find, descriptive, and full of atmosphere. The small-town feel you were aiming for has been captured beautifully… I was walking through the village with Crow! And your gentle, almost unnoticeable build of the ominous story ahead, well, I wish I could achieve that myself.

Really – well done.

I would have liked to see more metaphors and similes perhaps, the beginning felt like it was begging for one to me, well before “The horse had champion legs and ran like the wind blew”.

And only one line gave me problems: “Added with her frayed hair, and wild, almost artificial smile, and she seemed virtually inhuman.” ‘Artificial’ and ‘virtual’ both seemed to lack depth of description to me, and felt like they created too much of a modern feel for what you’re trying to create? Whadya think?

As for grammar, you’ll need someone more adept than myself – all seemed fine tome.

Great piece.

I’ve got a post named “Kaput: Chap 1 Part 1: The First of War”, if you fancy taking a shuftie?

Marky Lazer said:
He passed the tavern and inn […]
*Isn’t an inn the same as a tavern?

Possibly; not all tavern's were inns, and this one has the two in the same building, but run as two separate businesses.

Marky Lazer said:
Not something wrong, but something that came in mind. When were sugar cubes invented? I tried to search for it, but couldn’t find anything about it. It seems so obvious to me, but I have no idea of they had sugar cubes in the time when the story plays. Just a (weird) thought.

Maybe you're right. The sugar cube just seems like a neutral item to me, as if it could fit into nearly any time (Ice Age excluded).

Marky Lazer said:
[…] but could locate the spool Balen required.
*couldn’t. Also, isn’t it weird that Crow says ‘Balen’ instead of ‘his father’?

Well, considering this is neither him speaking or thinking, I didn't think it was necessary to use "his father" every time the story referred to him.

Marky Lazer said:
She was handsome rather than pretty, […]
Marky Lazer said:
*Isn’t pretty a synonym for handsome? Or am I missing something obvious?

Pretty is used more for women, and handsome more for men. So, I felt it was a good way to describe that Allaron appeared a little 'manly'.

Marky Lazer said:
"Hail, Crow!" Mërth called out him through […]
Marky Lazer said:
[…] called out to him
Also, Mërth is almost unpronounceable, or so it seems to me. How would you spell it in phonetics?

It would be pronounced MEERTH. The ë is pronounced EE. I'll probably add a pronunciation guide after a few chapters, just to make sure that people are saying the names right.

Marky Lazer said:
Good morning to you, boy.
Marky Lazer said:
*Not critisims per se, but I think the term ‘lad’ is more often used than ‘boy’, because Crow seems like a young, but already strong lad. I happen to think a boy is really a five or six year old kid.

I think you snatched this line from the scene with Emlain; because Emlain is obviously one of the older villagers of Arren, I felt that she would view Crow as much younger and possibly inferior.

Marky Lazer said:
"[…], appeared nearly three times larger behind her thick-rimmed glasses.
Marky Lazer said:
*Question:do you have any time reference when this plays? (See also sugar cube).

This one, you probably are right about. I'll no doubt end up changing that and removing the glasses. It was something I didn't notice until after I had already completed the fifth chapter.

Marky Lazer said:
"With all of the sheaves spread out […]
Marky Lazer said:
*Sheaves or sheets?

A sheaf is a stack of papers.

Marky Lazer said:
"She could Heal anything but death itself […]
Marky Lazer said:
*Capital?

It isn't explained yet, but most villages have a Healer who Heals the villagers from ailments and illnesses. It's capitalization isn't for any other reason except it is an 'ability' the Healers have.

Marky Lazer said:
Marky Lazer said:
Last, have you put any thought in the names of your characters? I don’t say they’re not good or pretty or whatsoever, but I had a look today on the Arda Encyclopedia, when I saw that most any name Tolkien thought of, had a meaning. Just a thought, not critique.

To be honest, I really just come up with my characters' names out of thin air. Obviously "Crow" had some English background, but other than that, they don't have any meaning that I'm aware of. I'll be creating names that have background with the True Tongue, a language I'm creating for the story.

Marky Lazer said:
Marky Lazer said:
Dialogue: Uour dialogue is pretty good. My only point is that nothing happens when there is dialogue. (made up) Example:
"How are you feeling, Crow?" Balen asked.
"I feel fine, father, though the ride to Arren in the burning sun made me a bit tired. But that's nothing to worry about"
*Prsonally, I think the same words work better when you put it like this:
"Crow, Balen said, "How are you feeling?"
"I feel fine, father," Crow replied, "The ride to Arren in the burning sun made me a bit tired, though. And he swept some sweat from his brow, "But that's nothing to worry about. He added with a smile.
*You see what I mean?

This is another thing that's crossed my mind more than once, but only after I've finished writing. It's something I really need to work on, and I plan to improve on it.

Marky Lazer said:
Marky Lazer said:
Conclusion: Very nice story, I'd love to be your main editor ;)

You're welcome to critique any part of the story you like :)

Thanks to all of you for your contributions; I didn't expect such generous responses. I'll be sure to post up Chapter Two later tonight, perhaps along with a pronunciation guide for the names of some of the less-pronouncable names, like Mërth.

For some reason, my last post contains a series of randomly place [*quote] tags, and it won't let me edit it because it says I'm not allowed to post URLs, even though I fail to see a link anywhere. Sorry about double-posting twice; I'll try not to do it again, but you don't need to worry about it. I'm not here for a high postcount.

I though you would pronounce it more as: Me-èrth, because other wise the dots on the e (don't know the term in English) seem rather useless...

I also want to say that not all my comments are right or better than your original sentences, it are just thing I wonder about and things that stand out. Again, keep up the good job!

Chapter Two

The rest of the morning and early afternoon kept Crow busy with a variety of chores. He let Eold, their cow, out of the stables and into the fields for exercise after he had milked her. The two horses besides Artag, Brace and Esse, each got their turn riding in the fields with Crow.

After the animals were tended to, he checked on the small garden they kept behind house. He had to chase a cluster of rabbits out of the carrot patch before watering the plants that looked dry. After picking some of the ripe vegetables, he headed back inside where a sinkful of dirty dishes needed to be scrubbed and dried.

Crow finished his work in good time. The day was still young when he stepped back outside. Normally he would be having lunch with Balen by now, but because he was sick, Crow decided to head into Arren for his meal. Artag seemed pleased to get out of the stables again, and nuzzled Crow's cheek as he was being saddled. It didn't seem long before the large collection of houses came into view over the large hill. Activity in the village had remained fairly slow, but Crow could clearly see travellers on the road into and out of Arren.

As he entered the town, Crow looked outside the inn for the mysterious horse he had seen that morning. He felt somewhat dramatic, reacting to the appearance of a clean horse. Dozens of passersby came and left every week, some of them in the same day. A single white horse meant nothing. Even still, he seemed a bit relieved when there was no sign of it.

Crow led Artag up to the entrance of the inn. After tying his reigns to the wooden banister of the porch, he opened the large door and stepped inside. The common room of the inn served as the tavern as well, and was thick with the stench of tobacco. At least half a dozen pipes were continuously being puffed, from the two men in the back discussing their wives just a little too loudly to the quiet man seated at the round table with four others, cards and coins scattered over its surface. Some of them looked up as he entered; one or two even waved to him. The most obvious greeting came from the stout old man behind the counter, running a damp cloth through a large glass. "Hail, Crow." The man set the glass down and gestured for him to come over. "I was wondering when I would see you in here next."

Crow moved towards him, smiling and greeting him, "Afternoon, Tiemlo. How's business?"

"It’s been unusually slow for this time of day, but I suppose it'll pick up once it gets later into the evening." Tiemlo seemed to relax, losing some of the professional air he required to keep the tavern running smoothly. "How's your father these days? I haven't seen him in quite some time."

"Fallen ill, like many others today. You've heard about that, right?"

"Aye. In fact, I think I may be coming down with something myself. I had a terrible headache when I woke up this morning. But who knows, that could have just been from all the ale last night." He let out a hearty guffaw at his joke. "But that's terrible news, about Balen. Think he'll finish my coat by next week?"

"I'd be sure of it." Both were silent for a few moments, the vigorous cheers and disappointed grumbles from the men playing cards the only sounds in the tavern. Curiosity finally got the best of Crow, and he said, "Tiemlo, did you by any chance see who owned that beautiful white steed that was here earlier today?"

"White steed, you say?" The tavern owner seemed lost in thought, pursing his lips and staring into space. "Well, I don't often get to see what sort of transportation my customers get, being stuck inside serving drinks and all. But if it belonged to anyone, it was probably the tall fellow who came through here, dressed in a fancy white-and-gold coat. He didn't say much, but he did ask about everyone getting sick. He had a mug of ale, paid, and left. Mighty good tipper, that one. Carried a sword with him, too."

Crow was ready to continue the conversation when from a stairwell behind the counter came Amerra, looking very pale and miserable. Tiemlo follow his gaze. "Amerra, are you alright?" He strode to her, placing his hands on her shoulders. "You don't look well."

The woman shook her head. "I'm not sure... just half an hour ago I was fine, but then I suddenly got this terrible headache, and I feel so ill." She blinked slowly, and started to sway before gripping Tiemlo's arms for support. "I need to lie down for a little bit. Take care of the inn while I'm asleep, will you Tiemlo?" She steadied herself before beginning her route back upstairs.

"Of course I will. You go rest and feel better, Am." He sounded confident, but Crow could see the worry evident in his features. When Amerra had disappeared up the stairs, Tiemlo turned to him and said, "Crow, will you please run down to Emlain and get Amerra some medicine? I would do it myself, but I'm going to have a handful watching the tavern and the inn." Crow nodded. "Good--here's some coin. Please, hurry back." Genuine concern was plain in his voice as he handed Crow the payment.

"Don't worry; I'll be back before you know it." Crow had had more responsibility placed on him than this before, but he still felt honored that Tiemlo would place his wife's well-being in his hands. He bid the bartender goodbye, and then rushed out the door. Artag stood waiting for him, and was eager to finally rather than trot. They were at the Healer's home in no time at all. Crow halted Artag in front of the house and didn't bother to tie him up before hurrying inside. The house was exactly the same, the bizarre plants and herbs, the overwhelming aromas, and even Emlain. He found her sitting exactly where he had left her that morning.

"Look, boy," Emlain began immediately as she saw him, "I don't know what your father may have taught you, but normal people don't appreciate others simply barging into their homes." Crow had to resist the temptation to laugh at Emlain for considering herself normal. "Now, what is it you need this time?"

"Do you have any more feverfew? Tiemlo sent me to get some for his wife."

Emlain shook her head. "I'm sorry, Crow, I've already made and sold all that I can. It seems everyone is falling ill. Very strange, very strange... however, I can prescribe some leafsoul. Not as quick, but it should still do the job. Tastes better, too." She retrieved a tiny glass bottom from a shelf and gave it to Crow. "You can have that one on the house--of those I have ample amounts."

"Thank you," was all Crow said before he turned and left as quickly as he had arrived. As the Healer had said, Crow noticed on his way back to the inn, everyone was getting sick. The only people on the streets were travellers making their way through town. Arren seemed empty without the familiar faces.

A few moments later, Crow re-entered the tavern. There were now only two men playing cards, and they were the only remaining people in the tavern. Crow moved towards the counter as Tiemlo exited the stairway. The bartender gave him a worried look before coming over to him. “Well, you were certainly quick about it.” Crow was unsure whether his pale features were because he had caught the illness or because his wife had.

“I told you I would be.” He produced the bottle and coins from his coat and handed them to Tiemlo. “Emlain didn’t charge for it. It’s leafsoul, by the way.”

Tiemlo nodded. “I thought as much. Thank you.” Crow watched as he ascended the stairs once more. Crow waited for close to ten minutes, looking around the tavern, observing. He was hoping that Tiemlo would reappear so that he could buy a meal, but he didn’t.

A loud outcry caught Crow’s attention, and he whirled around to see one of the card players stand angrily, knocking his chair over. He then swiped the cards and coins off the table with the length of his arm and stomped out of the tavern, leaving a very bewildered opponent behind. Such scenes were common here. An arrogant player bet too much and lost both his money and his temper. Crow sighed; he was still hungry, but assumed that Tiemlo would not return to the bar for some time due to his wife, so finally he decided it was best to just return home. Hopefully Balen would be awake and feeling better.

He departed from the tavern with his stomach grumbling and images of food at home dancing in his mind. Artag seemed to share the same urge, for when Crow approached him, the horse nuzzled the pouch at his belt that he kept feed in. Crow stroked his mane and gave him what he desired. Then he mounted and heeled Artag towards home.

The sun was descending now, sending glorious orange rays through the tufts of clouds floating in its path. The heat was replaced with another cool breeze and Crow felt himself become a little more cheerful with the pleasant weather.

Crow arrived home as the afternoon faded into evening When Artag was safely with his companions in the stables, he entered his home through the back door. The house was dark despite the light shining through the windows. Balen’s door was still closed. Slowly, Crow tip-toed to his father’s room and peeked inside. A body lay on the bed beneath the quilts and blankets, motionless except for the rhythmic rise and fall of breathing. Crow was relieved that Balen was alright.

Silently he navigated to the kitchen, where he prepared a light dinner of bread and sliced cheese, taking a few candied acorns from the jar on the counter. It was satisfying, but he knew it would not last.

With his belly somewhat full, he returned to his room. It was nearly dusk, and he was tired. In a few short minutes, he lay in the darkness, his shutters preventing what little light there was outside from invading his privacy. He had not been to bed so early in over a year, but he enjoyed the time to think. Ultimately, fatigue overwhelmed him and he dozed off. The last thought that ran across his mind was that of a gorgeous silver horse.

I don't have a lot to comment on this.

[…] garden they kept behind house.
*the house?

sinkful
*I don’t think that’s a word.

As he entered the town […]
*As he entered town ??

Dozens of passersby came […]
* passers-by

The common room of the inn served as the tavern as well, and was thick with the stench of tobacco. At least half a dozen pipes were continuously being puffed, from the two men in the back discussing their wives just a little too loudly to the quiet man seated at the round table with four others, cards and coins scattered over its surface.
*This sentence doesn’t flow and needs rephrasing.

[…] the vigorous cheers and disappointed grumbles from the men playing cards […]
*I’m not sure when playing cards came into existence, I do however know that gambling with dice was very common in medieval times.

Artag stood waiting for him, and was eager to finally rather than trot.
*I think you missed a word after finally.

[…]at his belt that he kept feed in
*food?

Crow arrived home as the afternoon faded into evening When Artag was safely with his companions in the stables, he entered his home through the back door.
*when shouldn’t be capitalized and a ; after stables rather than a comma.

One thing I would suggest for chapter three, is getting on now. Something needs to happen to keep the readers' attention.

"Finally *gallop", but re-reading that, it doesn't sound right.

I used "feed" on purpose, although it might not have been the best choice.

In your last comment on the story, there's just a period missing after "evening". Then it all works out.

And I already have all the chapters written through nine now, so any suggestions you have won't be seen to take effect until then. But yes, Chapter Three is where the story takes off. I'll post it up this afternoon.

Chapter Three

Crow wasn’t sure what time it was when the noise from inside the house woke him, but the pitch dark in his room indicated at least a few more hours remained before dawn. He sat up inquisitively, his eyes quickly adjusting to the little amount of light available. Again he heard the noise, but this time he concluded it was coming from Balen’s room. He hastily adorned a loose pair of pants and exited his room.

The house was ominous this late, made all the worse by the odd shuffling sound from his father’s room. Crow slowly moved towards the door, and it cracked open without a sound. Inside he saw his father’s indistinct form on the bed, thrashing wildly. Crow immediately raced into the room. “Father? Father, what’s wrong?” When he did not respond, Crow tried to suppress his erratic movements with his own body. After a few moments his efforts had calmed Balen somewhat.

Crow could see well enough to notice his father’s face was twisted in pain and sweat drenched his brow; his teeth gritted and looked pale enough to have seen a ghost. Placing a hand on his forehead made Crow gasp, as massive heat radiated from his flesh. What sort of illness is this? he questioned himself as he gazed worriedly at his father. Balen’s suffering was obvious. Either Crow had to stay and watch him until he was well enough to awaken, though he was not sure how long that would take without a remedy, or he could risk leaving him alone to go see Emlain. What am I going to do? He struggled with the choices, unsure of which would be better for Balen.

For what seemed like an hour, Crow waited by Balen’s side. His writhing had subsided a bit, reducing his movements to momentary jerks and moans. During this stage, Crow hurried to the kitchen for a damp rag which he laid over his father’s forehead. It seemed to help.

After more deliberation, Crow finally concluded he would make a run to Emlain for help. He took some silver from the bedside drawer, and, when he was convinced that Balen was alright for the moment, raced out of the house.

Artag whinnied as he burst into the stables. His saddling was rushed and in no time at all, he was carrying Crow down the dirt road at breakneck speed. Galloping as he was, it too less than ten minutes to top the final rise into Arren. Crow was surprised to see an abundance of lights flickering in one area of the village. As he came closer, he realized that they were gathered around an area secluded from Arren. Soon he could hear shouts and cries resounding from the mass of people surrounding the entrance to the house. Several of them were yelling angrily while others either wept or talked among themselves.

“Healer!” One man shouted over the rest, “We demand you explain what this illness is!” He waved his torch violently. “Show yourself, Healer!” Others joined in his command, hollering for Emlain to come outside. When she did not, the uproar increased. More villagers were joining the crowd, some of them confused, and others looking very sickly.

Crow forced his way into the throng, searching for someone he knew. He spotted the back of Tiemlo’s head and directed Artag around those in his way. Two or three people shot him livid glances before returning their attention to the house. When Crow reached the bartender, he placed a hand on his shoulder, “Tiemlo, what’s going on here?”

The man turned to him, his cheeks red and his eyes streaming tears. “Amerra’s dead, Crow. She’s dead.”

Shock gripped Crow and he had to tighten his hold on Tiemlo’s shoulder to prevent himself from falling off of Artag. Amerra, the owner of the village inn, the woman who used to sneak him sips of the tavern’s new ales, the woman who had taken the blame for him after he had set fire to a rug in the inn, was dead. “Dead? Burn me, Tiemlo. Was it from the sickness? Has anyone else died?”

Tiemlo nodded slowly. “A few… burn me, why did it have to be here?” His sorrow finally overcame his ability to speak, and he buried his face in his hands and wept.

Realization finally struck Crow. If this is sickness is deadly… father! He wanted to race back home, but wouldn’t change anything if he didn’t return with medicine. Fighting the urge to turn back, Crow guided Artag around the crowd to the back of Emlain’s house. His steed clambered through the Healer’s garden. He dismounted and bolted inside.

The house was dark save from the torchlight flickering in from out front. Everything seemed out place—papers scattered over the floor, vials and jars turned on their sides. In one place, Crow noticed a tendril of smoke trailing up from where some acidic potion was burning through the floorboards.

Crow made his way further into the house, first checking the room in which he had been in earlier, but when he did not find Emlain there, he continued to her bedroom.

“Emlain?” He whispered as loud as he dared, for fear the angry villagers would hear him and find no more reason to stay outside of the house. “Are you in here?” He came to a halt as he opened the door and found the Healer lying at the edge of her bed, twitching and staring blankly at the ceiling. Crow rushed to her side and lifted her into his lap. “Emlain! Are you alright? What’s wrong? Emlain, wake up!” He placed a hand on her forehead to find it as hot as Balen’s had been. “Oh no, oh no…” He feared she was dead, but even more he feared that his father could no longer be saved.

Suddenly the Healer stopped moving, and her eyes fell upon Crow. “Crow? Yes, I… I think I’ll be alright. I just…” Her words faded and she stared past Crow, the vacant look in her eyes appearing once more. Then she began twitching again, and her eyes rolled into the back of her head. Her convulsions became more violent, her limbs nearly striking Crow several times. He tried to restrain her like he did with Balen, and after a few moments, she calmed down once more. Pale foam trickled from the side of her mouth. She lay still for time, and Crow thought that perhaps she had finally died. Then her head shook, and her eyes found Crow yet again. “Oh, dear boy…I should have recognized this sooner.”

“Recognized what, Emlain? Please, my father will die if you can’t help him!”

The Healer shook her head. “I tried, Crow. I’m sorry, but there is no cure for this.”

“No!” Crow shouted, anger rising in him. He suddenly understood how the villagers outside the house felt, having their friends and family suffer with no way to ease their pain. “No, there has to be something you can do! Emlain, please!”

“I’m sorry, Crow…” Her eyes rolled back in her head once more, and she screamed. She screamed louder than Crow had ever heard anyone scream before. She threw her hands up and clawed at her head as she lay there shaking and trembling. Crow cried out as tears rolled down his cheeks. He felt so helpless, holding a dying woman in his arms. His screams joined hers, and he cursed the world. Then Emlain’s shrieks grew faint, and she shuddered. Her arms went limp, her eyelids closed, and she ceased to live.

Crow thought he could hear footsteps and voices approaching, but they seemed so distant. He kept staring at Emlain’s body, wishing for it to be untrue. Father. Even when one of the villagers ran into the room and began shaking him and shouting something, it felt like he was outside of his own body, watching the events through a hazy screen. Father. They were looking over Emlain’s body and searching the house. Father.

“Father…” Crow muttered.

“Burn me Crow, you’re alright!” Mërth was standing over him. The smith kneeled and gripped Crow’s shoulders. “We thought you had lost your mind! What happened here, Crow?”

“I… I don’t know.” Crow stood woozily, his balance slightly off. “I have to go see my father.”

“Your father? What’s wrong with Balen?” Enlightenment gleamed in Mërth’s eye. “Burn me; he has the illness doesn’t he?”

Crow ripped himself away from the blacksmith, a difficult task considering his muscular arms. Then he raced out of the room with Mërth’s shouts mingled together with the surprised cries of others fading behind him. To Crow, it seemed only a minute before he hurled himself off Artag and sped inside. He navigated to Balen’s room and threw open the door.
[FONT=&quot]
In his father’s room, stood an enormous man in shining silver armor that glinted in the moonlight coming through the open window. It was in this light that Crow saw the armoured stranger pull the blanket all the way up over Balen’s still form. The sight of this drained Crow of what little will he had left, and darkness enveloped him.[/FONT]

I'm definitely enjoying the story. I'm actually feeling a fair bit of sympathy for the characters who have the plague - the victims aren't "faceless", so I'm hoping Crow finds a cure.

The only thing I would suggest is that you merge chapters 2 and 3, as both chapters are rather short, and chapter 3 picks up exactly where chapter 2 left off.

Oh, and this:

Her arms went limp, her eyelids closed, and she ceased to live.

That sounds a little stilted. It would be more dramatic if you said something to the effect, "She went limp in his arms, her eyes glazed over. The Healer was dead."

Well, here's chapter four. Thank you for your comments, Azathoth. I considered combining Ch. 3 & 4, but the beginning of Ch. 4 seems to set a new atmosphere than Ch. 3 ends with. I'll keep this thought in mind, though. Enjoy :)
=================
Chapter Four

Lost in his mind, Crow saw many things. Memories of his childhood years spent playing games with his father and avoiding the many girls of Arren danced around his consciousness, and he watched them all from an omniscient point of view. They were nothing but happy memories, and they pleased the part of Crow that was still partially aware of being alive.

He did no know how long he was unconscious, but when he finally awoke, he was lying outside underneath thick wool blankets and the sun glared down at him from its peak. His body and mind ached. As hard as he tried, he could not remember what happened, and the attempts just made his head feel worse. When he tried to sit up, a thousand daggers pierced his mind and he was forced to lie back again. He closed his eyes once more.

Then he heard something. It was loud and unclear, like a voice heard under water. His eyes opened to find the sun blocked from his view and large shadow standing in its path. Terror overwhelmed him, and he quickly began flailing his arms and legs at the figure over him. But then the noise became clearer, and through the agony in his mind he recognized it as a voice. “Boy, if you don’t quit thrashing around, I’ll knock you out again!”

Although it was against his instincts, Crow ceased his movements. The effort to move around so much was causing him great pain. The fear in him increased as he thought, Burn my soul, I’ve caught the illness.

“No you haven’t. Calm down and take deep breaths.” The voice was deep and commanding, so Crow did as he was told. With each breath the pain in his head subsided and helped him think. He remembered holding a dying woman in his arms; seeing his father in his bead, unmoving. Father…

“Your father is dead, boy. Burn my soul but you should be too.” Then the shadow moved and Crow’s view was flooded with light once more. “Now sit up slowly.” He felt a gauntleted hand grasp his and begin pulling, and with the aid of the stranger, he sat up with little excess pain. “Good. Now I need to ask you some questions.”

As his eyes adjusted to the bright afternoon, Crow suddenly recognized where he was. The field he was in was bordered on one side by a dense thicket of trees and the other by a series of hills, behind which sat his home. His eyes fell on the stranger.

A tall man kneeled next to him, adorned in silver and white armor. A pure white cape was attached around his neck by a golden brooch in the shape of a sun. On his chest was engraved the same symbol. His face bore the scars of many battles, and he seemed ready for war even now, with his other hand resting on the hilt of the blade at his side. A look at his eyes showed Crow that his, too, were pale green.

“Who are you?” Crow winced at the effort to speak and clutched his head in his hands.

“Don’t speak right now,” the man instructed, “You need to conserve your strength, what little you may have right now.”

Don’t speak? Then how am I to answer his questions? Crow thought. He wasn’t altogether sure if he should answer them in the first place, but he decided that if he wanted to know more about this stranger, then he might as well. Besides, the current situation didn’t lend him too many other options.

“Think your answers, boy, and I’ll hear them.” At first, Crow simply nodded. Then the absurdity of the man’s statement struck him, and a puzzled look crossed his features. The stranger noticed this and said, “Don’t worry about how. I’ll answer your questions in due time. Now—what was wrong with your father?”

Crow thought about it, and wondered if the man could “hear” him coming up with a response. Finally, he thought out his answer, giving emphasis to it so his questioner would recognize it apart from everything else. He was sick. He had caught some illness of plague that many more people in Arren had as well.

“I see. Now, what were the symptoms?”

Fever, headache… I think that was it.

“Alright. Who was the first person to exhibit them?”

I… I’m not sure.

“Did you at any point feel these symptoms?”

Other than the headache I have right now, no. Should I have?
“Are you aware of who occupied Leuss and the Cirenthel mountains six hundred years ago?”

My father mentioned something about people who could use a sort of magic, but I thought it was just some sort of fairy tale.
The man frowned. “It wasn’t a story.” Then he stood and stared off into the distance. “How are you feeling now?”

Better. It was true. The pain in his skill had diminished to a mild headache.

“Good.” He stood in silence for a few moments, contemplating. When he said nothing, Crow felt it was safe for him to begin asking questions.

Who are you? What do people who existed hundreds of years ago have to do with all of this? What is this plague that is spreading everywhere? Why did it kill them? Will it kill anyone else?

“One at a time, Crow.” Crow decided not to question how the man knew his name. “Firstly, my name is Durai Melfara. The ‘illness’ your friends had was not an illness. Their minds were being tortured, and their bodies were reacting as they should have. If my predictions are correct, then everyone in your village will be dead within a few days. The same is true for nearly the entire population of Leuss.”

Terror swarmed Crow. Everyone dead. How… how is that even possible? Everyone he knew had been in Arren, and the thought of them all going through the same agony that Emlain and his father had made him feel sick. He turned his head to the side and vomited. So many people dead. How? How!

His thoughts must have been loud to Durai, because the armoured man winced slightly. “I’m still not completely sure about that. We have our suspicions, but nothing is certain at this point. However, the only people affected by this will be those who carry the blood of the magic users in their veins.”

How can you know all this? Who are you really? Crow was sure that if he were speaking, he would be shouting. It took all of his effort not to open his mouth and do so.

Durai sighed and bowed his head. “I cannot explain that to you now, not until I know more myself. Just know that I am part of an association that has been expecting this for some time.”

“And you did nothing?” Crow could hold back no more, and Durai did not try to stop him. “You’ve known about this and did nothing to stop it? My father is dead. Dead!

Suddenly Durai knelt aggressively next to Crow, meeting him face to face. “There was nothing we could have done, boy! Do you really think that we would have let thousands of people die if we could have prevented it? You are a fool if you do! We had no idea when it would occur, just that it would!” His hardened face seemed to toughen more as his cheeks burned red and his green eyes bore into Crow. He hoped the man could not read his thoughts now. Finally Durai withdrew, returning to where he stood a few moments before.

Crow’s head ached from all the shouting. After the pain had subdued a little, he sent the man his thoughts once more, How can you hear what I think? Are you a magic user?He felt it was a good question, especially if it would calm the two of them down. Durai did not respond, though. Crow waited patiently, but after a few minutes, he sent the question again. Once more, Durai said nothing. Can you hear me?,he thought. Finally he spoke, “If you’re not going to answer my questions anymore, then I don’t see why you’re even still here.”

Durai’s head turned towards him. “What was your question? If you were thinking it, do not be angry that I did not hear. I cannot always read peoples’ thoughts, and when I can, I hear only the important ones, the ones given prominence, and only for a short time.”

Stunned, Crow lowered his head. “I asked if you were a magic user because you can read people’s minds.”

The armoured man laughed, catching Crow by surprise. “No, I am not a magic user. I am, however, a descendant of one.”

“Then why are you not in danger? You don’t look ill to me.”

“I am in as much danger as those villagers, as much as you.” He gestured toward Arren over the hills. “But I’ve yet to feel the symptoms. According to you, you do not feel them either. Care to explain? I thought not. I know as much about why you and I have been spared as you do.”

“So why is this happening? You’ve been expecting it, haven’t you? Then you must have some clue as to why it is happening.”

“Again, of that we are unsure.” Durai shaded his eyes from the light as he examined the sun’s position in the sky. “For now, we will remain ignorant. Time passes without care for us, and we cannot delay any longer than we must.”

“What are we to do then? I will not abandon my friends in Arren to their deaths! There must be something we can do to save the ones who are still alive.”

Durai shook his head, a solemn expression on his face. “By now, every descendant will have already begun to feel the effects, save those lucky few like you and I.”

It was a fate that Crow found impossible to accept. How could this be happening? Balen, Tiemlo, Mërth. All of them gone, along with thousands of others. “Then we are supposed to let these people die for nothing?”

“For now, we’ll make contact with my allies in Esereth, which hopefully has not fallen under chaos because of this epidemic. From there, we will do what must be done.”

Although Durai’s voice was sure, Crow didn’t know whether or not to believe him. He tried to soothe his own voice as he spoke, but there was still a slight tremble, “I have to see them. I have to see my father and my friends before we go.”

Again, Durai bowed his head. “You’re not going to like what you see, Crow. It’s not a simple headache and fever that’s killing these people.”

“I don’t care!” Crow’s eyes glistened. “I have to see them! For proof and for myself.”

The armoured man sighed. “As you wish. I’ll warn you again, thought: the villagers are not dying peacefully. You saw the way your father reacted. That was only the beginning.”

Durai did not know that he had held Emlain in his arms while she suffered through the torment. Regardless, he was determined to see them one last time before leaving. “Your warnings are meaningless. If we are going, then let’s go. I don’t want to waste any more of your precious time.”

“No,” Durai placed a hand on Crow’s shoulder as he tried to sit up. “You need to rest. If you try to get up now, it will only make things worse for you. It would be better to wait until after most of the effects on the villagers have passed, anyway.” Durai began to make his way behind Crow, where the beautiful white mare stood tethered to the limb of a tree. “I’m going into the village for food. Rest, Crow. You need it.” Then he mounted and took off disappearing over the hills.

As soon as Durai was out of view, Crow shoved off the blankets and stood quickly. Sure enough, moments after he was on his feet, a splitting headache tore through him. It was only relieved when he lay back down, but stars still danced before his eyes. Regretfully, he followed Durai’s advice and closed his eyes, letting the weariness of recent events take hold.

On chapter 3:

First, I want to make clear again that things I’m telling are merely suggestions. Maybe sometimes my ‘corrections’ are not good at all. When I’m doubting my own correction I will put ‘???’ behind it.

Crow wasn’t sure what time it was when the noise from inside the house woke him, but the pitch dark […]
*darkness ???

Crow wasn’t sure what time it was when the noise from inside the house woke him, but the pitch dark […]
*Doesn’t pitch black mean any light at all?

He sat up inquisitively, his eyes quickly adjusting Crow wasn’t sure what time it was when the noise from inside the house woke him, but the pitch dark.
*This doesn’t flow.

[…] looked pale enough to have seen a ghost.
*I think it works better if you’d say something like: and his face looked pale as if he had just seen a ghost. That’s stronger.

Placing a hand on his forehead made Crow gasp, […]
*This doesn’t read well. Something like: When Crow placed a hand on his forehead, it made him gasp, […]

During this stage, Crow hurried to the kitchen for a damp rag which he laid over his father’s forehead.
* […] rag, which […]

Galloping as he was, it too less than ten minutes […]
*took

*About Crow entering the house: it seems a bit unlikely that no one before him entered the house of the Healer when they are so mad and demand an explanation.

[…] she ceased to live.
*That sounds very nice for an important person like a Healer. She didn’t die, but ceased to live. Nice one!

*What’s with the phrase, “Burn me;” ?

In his father’s room, stood an enormous man in shining silver armor that glinted in the moonlight coming through the open window. It was in this light that Crow saw the armoured stranger pull the blanket all the way up over Balen’s still form.
*First you use armor (American), then you use armoured (British). I think you should use either American or British English.

*It’s rather obvious that Balen will have this mysterious disease and that his condition will worsen. What if he will be working in the garden for a while; things seem to be good again, and then, in the night it weakens?

*It still is a good story, but not as good as the first two parts. It looks like that has been a tad bit rushed. A few sentences don’t flow or miss words to work, or are too long, or are made to difficult. Some lines I had to read two times and that is not good in a story. Please, take a look into this again.

*I also just thought (no Balen is likely to be dead), where is Crow’s mom? Is he now about to become an orphan?

For some reason, Microsoft Word has it's Spelling & Grammar check set to the English (UK), so when I was going over it, I must have not hit 'Ignore' when it came to "armored".

Crow's mother is an issue that is covered in a later chapter.

He did no know how long he was unconscious, but when he finally awoke, he was lying outside underneath thick wool blankets and the sun glared down at him from its peak.
*laying

[…] like a voice heard under water.
*You can’t hear a normal voice under water, I think you should change voice into shout.

[…] seeing his father in his bead, […]
*bed

On his chest was engraved the same symbol.
*That reads awkward.

He hoped the man could not read his thoughts now.
*Why? What is Crow thinking?

Are you a magic user?He felt it was
*space behind the question mark.

*Again you use armor and armoured.

I’ll warn you again, thought:
*though ???

*This is a good ‘explaining chapter’, though a bit boring. Maybe to spice it up a little bit, Crow asks how Durai got those scars on his face. Re-tell the battle where he got this big scar, or something.

For the rest, no comments. Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.