David Weber

chrispenycate

resident pedantissimo
Staff member
Supporter
http://www.davidweber.net/
A change of pace, here. Not just science fiction, but military science fiction. Yes, he’s doing one fantasy series, of which I have read two volumes an await the paperback edition of the third, a couple of collaborations and a shared world (with David Drake) but is best known for his “Honor Harrington“ books. (the starfield’s Horatio Hornblower) This series (conceived as a series, not a case of sequelitis) runs to eleven books in the main branch, at least four books of short stories, and has spawned two “twig“ series set in the same universe, and shows no symptoms of running out of steam.

Both technical details, spaceship drives and weaponry, and social and political (even religious) systems for each of the different foci are worked out in extreme details. This is hard sci-fi ; not hard in that there is esoteric science, but hard in that you can almost count the rivets, you feel you could rebuild it from memory.

Heroes in this series are heroes.(as are some of the villains- but many of them are convincing small minded, egocentric nasties) They’re not ordinary people who just happened to be in the right place at the right time, They’re not antiheroes, nor revenge-crazed berserkers They’re people who have chosen to risk everything, people who ovecome all enemies, including themselves, who only death can stop (and if some of these people have six limbs rather than four, that doesn’t reduce their heroism.

I may not agree with all the viewpoints set forward, in particular some of the ideals of patriotism, but that doesn’t stop any of the books being a good read – besides, some of the equivalents with the Hornblower mythos would be difficult without a bit of eighteenth century british mentality.

His collaborations include the moon being an extremely large spaceship (generating an empire), an empress’ youngest son facing up to incredible odds, a renegade space commando saving an empire in revenge for her family’s murder – all very undemocratic, suggesting that all men are not born equal, that some of them are more admirable, more physically competent, better people from birth. This is meritocratic writing, and anyone who thinks “it’s all my parents/teachers/social status’ fault that I’m not…“ needn’t bother to read them.

Since I've been a fan of Horatio Hornblower for years, I naturally had to read the Honor Harrington books and have enjoyed them tremendously. Baen is rereleasing The Path of the Fury in hardcover now. I liked that book wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to it. It's kind of a combination of fantasy with science fiction. Think it's time for a reread.

murphy said:
Since I've been a fan of Horatio Hornblower for years, I naturally had to read the Honor Harrington books and have enjoyed them tremendously. Baen is rereleasing The Path of the Fury in hardcover now. I liked that book wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to it. It's kind of a combination of fantasy with science fiction. Think it's time for a reread.
Along with a prequel (in fury born) I really liked the space drive used in "The path of the fury" removes all sorts of structural problems:D

chrispenycate said:
Along with a prequel (in fury born) I really liked the space drive used in "The path of the fury" removes all sorts of structural problems:D

Didn't quite get your post. Do you mean that the hardcover has a prequel added to it? Have you read it yet? Other than the space drive, how did you like the rest of the book?

murphy said:
Didn't quite get your post. Do you mean that the hardcover has a prequel added to it? Have you read it yet? Other than the space drive, how did you like the rest of the book?
You know what? I don't really know. As a Baen author myself (giggles. one article in a Grantville Gazette that'll probably only ever be electronic. Sounds good though, doesn't it? And the cheque's in the bank) I spend some time on their site (not because they give away free downloads of books, really it isn't) so I went and looked it up- The hardcover seems to be "In fury born", which is" In Fury Born is a revised and greatly expanded version of the original The Path of the Fury." Still, in electronic form they're bundling "In fury born" with "The path of the fury" (hell holds no Tisophone like an adman confused)

Yes, I enjoyed the rest of the book too; I've even reread it. The classic revenge/betrayal plot holds up well, even if one of the three dimentionalest characters is a computer, and the other (I believe) a demiurge. (I'm not quite sure what phylum furies come under)
And all I've read so far are the six chapters given away free to get us hooked; I can't get it till the paperback comes out, neither bookshelves nor wallet allow exceptions to that rule.:(
Have you read all the Honor Harringtons? I'm still looking for "War of Honor" and there's at least "At all costs" come out since then.:eek:

I had to go check my David Weber books. It's been a while since I read any of the Honor series. The last book I bought was Ashes of Victory, not the 2 books since then. I have read the Oath of Swords, The War God's Own and Wind Rider's Oath. Like to see more in this series. Also, the books written with John Ringo, March to the Sea, etc., all four of them. Then, there's the alternate history books 1633, with Eric Flint. Love that one.

Don't much care for the books he wrote with Steve White. I bought them, but quickly got bored.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I bought Path of the Fury when it first came out years ago. Like it very much.