Shae

Boaz

Happy Easter!
SPOILER ALERT... If you've not read ASOS nor AFFC you should stop reading now!

I was reading Tyrion's first chapter in ACOK today and a couple of crazy ideas popped into my head. I looked for a Shae thread but did not find one. So here goes...

What if Shae is Sarella?

Yeah, I know that Alleras is Sarella backwards. Yeah, I seem to remember that Arianne and the Sand Snakes seem to think that Sarella was headed to Oldtown. Yeah, I know that everyone in Dorne seems to think she's still alive.

Shae has black hair and eyes... She looks like Oberyn.

Sarella is on some secret business to promote Dornish interests and avenge Elia and then avenge Oberyn, too.

Sarella and Shae are the same age.

Varys, suspected of being a closet Targaryen loyalist, requires children who can read and write to spy for him. It seems to me that Doran Martell has lots of children playing in the Water Gardens. He freely lets Orphans, servants, slaves, and royalty all play together... mayhaps they study together... Doran is a proven Targaryen loyalist with known connections to Magister Illyrio, i.e. Varys' supplier. Shae and Varys get along famously.

(By the way, I consider the Orphans of the Greenblood and excellent source for recruiting Varys' little birds.)

What if Shae is one of Robert's bastards?

Shae is the same age as Mya Stone.

Shae has black hair and just like Jon Arryn said, "The seed is strong."

Shae seems to have a strong desire for court life. Mayhaps she is jealous of what she considers her birthright.

Why couldn't she be one of Robert's bastards, everyone else is.

What if Shae is Princess Rhaenys, Rhaegar's daughter?

She'd be about the right age.

Her coloring could be attributed to Elia and not Rhaegar.

She is the only non-Targaryen character to have the Targaryen "ae" in her first name. Why?

Tyrion obviously has a jones for all things Targaryen, why not Shae?

Targaryens were into incest, if Tyrion was Aerys' ******* then loving his niece Rhaenys/Shae would be only natural for him.

Obviously, I'm grasping at straws here. But I've been wondering who Shae is for ten years now.

Is Shae exactly what she appears to be? An opportunistice whore?

Why did she ask Tyrion, on his first night in KL, what his political intentions were? If she was just his doxy, why ask? If she was someone's spy, why not ask?

Who was she working for? Varys? Tywin? Doran? Illyrio? Walder? Roose? Olenna? Littlefinger?

I've surmised before that mayhaps Shae was planted by Tywin. Tyrion introduced Bronn to Tywin at the Crossroads Inn. He told Tywin that he and Bronn should get along famously. Then Tyrion has Bronn find him a woman. Bronn brings in Shae. Tyrion privately asks both Bronn and Shae whose woman she was before Tyrion's and neither of them give him a definitive answer. And why was Shae in Tywin's bed? Oh, I know why... I mean besides that... Why?

Who are the known spies at court? Lancel and Pycelle spied for Cersei. Pycelle spied for Tywin. Taena spied for both Cersei and Margaery. The Kettleblacks worked for both Littlefinger and Cersei. We've heard of cooks, stableboys, washer women, and other spying for Varys, Littlefinger, Cersei, Renly, etc... and they were spying on Eddard, Renly, Cersei, Robert, etc. But no one was specifically spying on Tyrion, the Hand of the Hand of the King?

Shae had to be working for someone before Joffrey's death and Tyrion's fall from grace. Who would benefit most from information on Tyrion's rule? Tywin, Cersei, Varys, Littlefinger, Doran, i.e. the usual suspects.

I'm pretty sure GRRM comes and reads Boaz's posts for ideas.

I am afraid you had more sails than cargo this time, Boaz. Sometimes things are what they seem, even in the world of G.R.R.M. Shae was just some opportunistice whore indeed with whores heart, not like that Alayaya-girl, who got whipped. I am glad G.R.R.M killed her (OK, OK it was Tyrion alright). The only thing interesting about Shae was her relationship with Tywin and even that more by the Tywin's side.What kind of psychological twist was on his head when he made his son's little flower-san his doxy. We need dr. Freud to answer that.

What kind of psychological twist was on his head when he made his son's little flower-san his doxy. We need dr. Freud to answer that.

No we don't. Tywin was the worst black-hearted b******d in this entire series, and everyone cheered when the vile man was stabbed while on his privy (Great scene, that. It will look great in film, if the HBO series makes it that far). He did that to remain true to his character, because he always hated Tyrion, and with Tyrion's fall from grace, he could finally shove the knife in, and twist. Shae was the twist.

Best piece of poetic justice in print.

Anyway, Boaz, Raul is right. More sails than cargo (nice expression, btw).

everyone cheered when the vile man was stabbed while on his privy (Great scene, that. It will look great in film, if the HBO series makes it that far).

Tywin was shot with a cossbow.....

And I didn't cheer. I LIKED Tywin. I like Tyrion more, so.....

Raul, good to see you in here! More sails than cargo, I'll probably be stealing that one and not crediting you... I have a female friend (no, really) who is a stand up comdedienne and she calls stealing jokes "joke rape."

I loved Tywin for the b****** that he is/was and I also cheered when he got his. I like to have my cake and eat it too.

Okay.... So no real takers on Shae=Sarella nor Robert+anyone=Shae nor Shae=Rhaenys. I suspected as much, but don't you guys have any thing to offer in return? Tell me Shae=Littlefinger's ******* or that Shae was Bronn's sister or that Shae is actually Lynesse Mormont nee Hightower.... or something.

On a related subject... Where do whores go?

Do they all go to Tywin's bed? I cannot imagine that Tywin would have wanted Tysha after what she endured, but who knows.

Do they all go to the dungeons of Casterly Rock? Is Tysha there? Was Tywin intending to send Shae to the Rock? Did Tywin find out that Joanna was unfaithful to him and he still keeps her locked up under the Rock? (Of course not, he'd have killed Tyrion if that had been true.)

All I know is that this Belgian Ale is really good tonight.

Okay.... So no real takers on Shae=Sarella nor Robert+anyone=Shae nor Shae=Rhaenys. I suspected as much, but don't you guys have any thing to offer in return? Tell me Shae=Littlefinger's ******* or that Shae was Bronn's sister or that Shae is actually Lynesse Mormont nee Hightower.... or something.

Shae is actually Renly in drag. It makes sense, admit it.

I'll never read "My Giant of Lannister" the same way again.

I'll probably be stealing that one and not crediting you.
For which crime you deserve to be decked. :rolleyes::)

As to your musings on Shae, I simply can't see why Sarella (or the other candidates) would want to adopt that ... er ... position. The downsides are simply too onerous when compared to the (very limited) benefits.

And I can't help thinking that someone who had gone to those lengths would put up a much better struggle - Shae put up none - at the end.

Shae is actually Renly in drag. It makes sense, admit it.
This makes total sense.

They both have dark hair. They both have sex with men. Each loves fine clothing and jewelry. They've never been sxeen together. One could go on and on.

Poor Tyrion. Or maybe, poor Renly.

If Tyrion is ever quoted saying "My giant of Boratheon" that would be the clincher :eek:

All I know is that Tyrion had better hope Shae remains dead.

I'm not sure, but I think necrophilia is just about the only ghastly act that hasn't been covered yet in ASOIAF. Or has it, and I just repressed the memory of it?

By the way, I've been assuming Shae is dead.

(As a once-through reader of the series-so-far, I can't recall whether her demise was mentioned in AFFC.)

She's dead. I believe he slit her throat.

There are plenty of other and more important characters in the series to keep us guessing for the next three books.

Pretty sure he throttled her using Tywin's chain of the Hand, which she was wearing at the time. Definately dead.

Last edited:
I read the throttling incident as a prelude to replying to this thread and have always assumed it was fatal. The last phrase of the relevant paragraph is poetic, albeit a bit strange**:
Tyrion slid a hand under his father's chain, and twisted. The links tightened, digging into her neck. "For hands of gold are always cold, but a woman's hands are warm," he said. He gave cold hands another twist as the warm ones beat away his tears.
And that's it.

** - Yes, I know he's crying because of his feelings for her, and her demise, but as a description of what is physically happening, it doesn't ring (not wring ;)) quite true.

This makes total sense.

They both have dark hair. They both have sex with men. Each loves fine clothing and jewelry. They've never been sxeen together. One could go on and on.

Poor Tyrion. Or maybe, poor Renly.

If Tyrion is ever quoted saying "My giant of Boratheon" that would be the clincher :eek:

Hey, I was joking, but you're starting to convince me!

I'm not sure, but I think necrophilia is just about the only ghastly act that hasn't been covered yet in ASOIAF. Or has it, and I just repressed the memory of it?

I wouldn't put it past Roose Bolton or his son...

Back