A Dance with Dragons - Discussion - WARNING: SPOILERS!

Culhwch

Lost Boy
Okay, the day is almost upon us, so here is a thread dedicated to the discussion of A Dance with Dragons. This thread is intended primarily for those who have finished aDwD and wish to discuss it at length. I'd counsel steering clear if you're only part-way through. There will be spoilers aplenty here.

If you are wanting to discuss a specific scene, character or incident and wish to start a new thread - by all means do so, but please keep the thread title generic, and post spoiler warnings. If you haven't yet finished the book and start such a thread, keep in mind that it's probably highly likely that someone will come along who is further along than you and drop a bomb that may ruin your reading experience. They probably don't mean to be a prick, it's just that some people don't always think before posting. And besides, you're not king of the Internet - no matter how much you may wish you were - and your word (or plea) is not law.

Spoilers from here on out people. Don't say you weren't warned...

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I'm 25% through and all I can say at one of Tyrion's champions is "oooohhhhh" some of you are gonna be slapping yourself royally on the back :)

chapters even not champions - I must have been sleepy lol

Well damn. I thought this would already teeming. I just finished my first time through...
Quick reactions...

1) John Snow's not dead.
2) Drogon is going to eat Khal Drogo for breakfast.
3) I'm really disappointed we didn't get to see Tyrion and Dany meet.
4) Ramsey is lying about Stannis being dead. If not he'd already have his wife back.
5) Boaz, I'm sure you loved that bit about the mad king's lust for his hand's wife. More fodder for your favorite theory.

And most importantly, perhaps because I just finished...

6) The Kindly Man did send Arya off to go do wetwork for Lord Varys did he?

I totally agree with your post Illifer.

Such a huge book but because of the vastness of the story it seems to be rumbling along at a really slow pace for me, I really wanted something major to happen apart from Dani riding her dragons and a new Targaeryon nothing much advanced from the last book looking back

Arya's still training (still got a few pages to read though)
UnCat is still a roaming
Jon has trouble on the wall
Tommen is still on the throne
Dani is still in Mereen (kinda)

Oh I forgot Bran's story did progress a lot and I've a feeling Benjen could well be Coldhands

And all that build up with Quentyn Martell just to set the dragons loose?

A thought that just occured to me...
Old Nan told Bran, "The monsters cannot pass while the wall stands and the men of the night's watch stay true." The Wall still stands (for now), but the men of the night's watch killed their last lord commander, and just tried to kill the new one. Doesn't seem like a good sign...

I think a number of people will be really annoyed if Jon dies as well, I think this is away of ending his stint as Lord Commander and freeing him up to help the Targaeryens. I'd be disappointed if Aegon becomes king since he's appeared from nowhere while we've followed Dani from the start.

I've a feeling Dani will be a Khalessi again soon, the dothraki lead by a dragon riding Kalessi sweep in to clear away the attackers in Mereen :)

Also I've a feeling the greyscale is going to become important. Val won't go anywhere near Princess Shireen as she claims she is already dead and Jon Connington is suffering from it too. Wonder if it can affect the others if they try and take someone who has it?

While we're waiting for everyone to get to the end of the book and start analysing what we (really) know, does anyone fancy some Frey Bentos pie...?

Also, too: "Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" might be the best insult in the entire series.

I have a feeling there is going to be a whole bunch of Jon fanboy hate going on when people start finishing this in droves.

Anyway where does everyone think Davos was sent by Manderly ? I'd say it was Skagos but anyone have any other theories?

Has to be Skagos right? Cannibals, that dream about Shaggy Dog hunting unicorns. I don't see as how it could be anywhere else. Crannog men eat frogs not people.

The Jon fan boys can't be too mad can they? He's only going to he dead long enough for his watch to end. I just hope we don't spend half a book with him living in Ghost or something like that.

I'm looking forward to everyone's speculation re: what the hell are Varys/Illyrio really up to. Because I'm not buying "for the good of the realm" and "I want Littlefinger's old job" for even one instant.

I agree it pretty much has to be Skagos but why would Osha take him there of all places why run to an island of cannibals ?
It would be pretty awesome if he gets served up for a feast , scratch another Stark lol.

Illifer, Yes. My first posts back are straight to that point. I'm so glad you caught it. I whooped for joy when I read that very first phrase from Barristan.

Soooooo, where to start. Et tu, Bowen? Wow, since when did he grow a pair?!?! What was Jon thinking? He renounced his vows publicly!

I know Jon was not there for Brandon's capture, Rickard's arrest, Eddard's fall nor Robb's assassination, but all these Starks seem expose themselves to their enemies too easily. As soon as they do the honorable thing and send their loyal men away, they die.

I've got dibs on the name unJon. It's okay if he dies... Melisandre will get him up and moving before Bowen can burn him.

Connington. I like him. He is one of the main reasons I read this story. The same goes for Kevan. I almost cried when I realized he was the epiloge's POV.

Brienne the bitch? What?!?! Oh, no!

Ramsay is a monster. He makes Viserys and Joffrey look like rank amateurs. Some needs to kill him.... slowly. Someone needs to make Littlefinger, Cersei, and Tywin pay for Jeyne Poole.

I was stunned at how poorly Mance faced death and by how easily Rattleshirt beat Jon.

It turns out that Janos Slynt was a man to be treated like that. I consider that the joyous high point of ADWD. Although, the after knowledge that Rattleshirt got his was nice.

Penny? What to make of her... I don't know.

BFS. He's the man.

Drogon, Rhaegal, Viserion. Uncontrolled dragons are awesome! Smaug! Glaurung!

I do not think that Arya was one of Kevan's assassins. She has more to learn... and why would they send her to Westeros when they know she still has many people there that she wants to kill?

I was hoping Jorah would come back... and he did. But I want a Jorah POV. I want him to go after Lynesse.

Loras is fine. In the epilogue. Mace is mightily concerned with Margaery, but he claimed that his sons would retake the Shields. Since Mace only has three sons and one is a known cripple, that means Garlan and Loras. Loras will fight again... So I was most likely wrong that Loras is on his way to Mereen.

But what about Sansa? What about Brynden? What about Jeyne Stark?

And did Doran really send Ser Balon off without an army? Does he expect a stranger to hunt down Darkstar in the back hills and wastes of Dorne? Balon is a great archer and a good swordsman, but I imagine he's dead without support.

Quentyn... What was Doran thinking?

Where is Aeron? I was wrong... I thought he was going to die.

Okay guess I will get this going! If you have not finished ADWD:

STOP NOW!! SPOILERS AHEAD!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

I have to start with Arya (just cause she's my girl!)-

I KNEW she would not be permenaantly blind! There was not near enough of her to suit me, but I really didn't expect any so won't complain. She is moving right along in her training, seemingly much faster than the temple expected. Yet she is and will remain Aya of House Stark. When she leaves the temple for good her first stop will be on the steps to pick up Needle!

Jon. I really liked how Jon is trying to bring the wildlings into the fold, and suceeding for the most part. As he said, every dead wildling is another dead man to fight! I do not believe he will die, I like the idea I saw here that he will only die long enough for his watch to end! But let me say if he does, GRRM may need to be hunted down!

Dany- a little disappointed with her!! What a load a crap from her! To chain her only real children while tring to free everyone elses! Didn't like it, didn't buy it!! She redeemed herself (but only slightly) at the end. I guess she has had to learn everything the hard way but this took it too far IMHO. By the way I don't think Drogon will eat Khal Jhogo. The Dorathki follow strength, and nothing is stronger than a dragon right!!

Tyrion- My main man!! What a messed up journey that little man has had!! He will get to Dany I am sure of it, but it should have happened in ADWD! A bit too much of a messed up journey! He had better get to Dany soon! Somebody needs to set her straight!

Boaz, GRRM has definetly set the stage for your favorite theory! Tyrion TARG, TARG, TARG!!

A few complaints-

All the fuss over Quentin Martell, only to kill him off with no real addition to the story or apparent purpose!

Jaime and Brienne- WTF, WTF, WTF!! That's all I have to say about that!!!!

I have much more to say and will as time goes by! But I think i'm done for now! Will most likely start first re-read tomorrow!

Can't wait for more of you to finish so the conversation can begin! See you all soon!!

Thought I was done for the night till some of these posts came up so here I go again!

"Also, too: "Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" might be the best insult in the entire series. "

Love this! Agree completely!!

Boaz- Mance did not die badly-Rattleshirt did!! Illusion remember!!

Agree, don't think Arya was one of Kevan's assasins.

I don't think Doran actually means for Ser Balon to FIND Darkstar, just
endlessly hunt and maybe die?

I think Bowen may have had to get a pair from someone else! Don't now who
yet!

I really don't think Doran cares if Balon finds Darkstar, I'm of the opinion Darkstar aint the type to try and rationalise his way out of it he will simply put Balon down without breaking a sweat if he comes knocking.

I was stunned at how poorly Mance faced death and by how easily Rattleshirt beat Jon.

It was also Mance who beat the crap out of Jon too, and I wonder if his link to R'hllor makes him stronger. Victarion's healed arm is stronger than ever it was, it's not inconceivable that Mance would be getting some extra juice as well.

Which I suppose has implications re: Jon and his almost certain resurrection.