Stabs in the dark for Winds of Winter Launch

Pedro Del Mar

I am content
Hello fellow Martin fans,

I know it's way, way, way too early but how about we get started on a thread to guess when The Winds of Winter is released?

I'll start with August 2015

No real reason other my gut tells me so.....

Any other guesstimates...........

I'm going with 15th March, 2014, cos I believe in miracles!

July 20, 2013 because it's my birthday and it's the only thing i want (hint hint grrm)
:)

July 2, 2013
July 20, 2013 because it's my birthday and it's the only thing i want (hint hint grrm)
:)
Now this is optimism!
Sadly GRRM said in a recent interview it wouldn't be out before 2014. My optimistic feeling estimate would be Autumn 2014.
But I don't like to think too much about it because that way madness lays, like a lot of readers now this is the first time I've had the unkown wait and no more books to read.

As I was only two months out (or ten months on my first try, which was a year earlier) for the announcement of ADwD's completion, I was going to keep to the same day and month for TWoW's release, but put it in 2015 (as I'm an optimist).

However, I doubt the book would be released so soon after that year's TV season, so I'll move it back a month. So:
8th June 2015

UK Publishing Dates (as far as Wikipedia is concerned)
AGOT August 6, 1996
ACOK November 1998
ASOS August 2000
AFFC October 17, 2005
ADWD July 12, 2011

TWOW December 10, 2016

My conservative estimate based on the current trend. I don't see the show catching up to TWOW at its current pace of two seasons a book (ACOK and ASOS at least), though he might need to bang the 7th book out faster than he might like (2018). Also, it is called The Winds of Winter guys. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This thread goes to show one thing and one thing only:
It's a gathering of a bunch of optimists. Bullies the while lot of you.
Leaving me as the sole pessimist... . When your appointed day comes and goes, when your launchday dreamdate shatters i will be there to point my finger and laugh MUHAHAHA. Optimists...., recepts for disaster.

Apparently the book will be about 1500 manuscript pages in length, of which he has 400 done right now, but only 200 in a finalised state. So:

Christmas 2015.

2013 is flat-out impossible. Late 2014 is highly optimistic indeed. 2016 is certainly possible.

UK Publishing Dates (as far as Wikipedia is concerned)
AGOT August 6, 1996
ACOK November 1998
ASOS August 2000
AFFC October 17, 2005
ADWD July 12, 2011

TWOW December 10, 2016

He was really in the zone back then wasn't he? A new classic every two years. I wish he had started the series in 1986, I'm pretty sure we would have a finished epic today.

I hope for a 2014 release, with ADofS in 2017.