Why is Winter Always Coming?

JoanDrake

Does anyone know if Martin plans to explain why the seasons vary like they do? Has he hinted at it? or mentioned it somewhere? Or is he going to just let that go as unimportant? It vexes me because I can't figure out ANY way it could happen in reality without side effects that would not let human life, (or possibly any life) evolve.

I know, I know, you have dragons and a 700 foot ice wall that doesn't collapse or even melt and it's all magic. But the story started out without a lot of Wizards and Sorcerors and the idea was that magic didn't really have that much effectiveness any more. Then you say it controls the seasons? WTF

Last edited:
I heard the seasons had something to do with the white walkers.

Magic permeates everything, but it isn't overt fireballs and walls of lightning. It's a subtle thing, for the most part.

People live their lives in their own worlds. Farmers don't care about magic any more than lords, because it's a subtle thing and far beyond their every day experience. You don't see a load of magic, despite how much there is in the world, because it's not an everyday experience. We see the world through the characters.

THE Other is Al Gore. He keeps predicting climate change. Since he invented the internet, he should know.

theories suggest Magic as a reason, as well as a possibly unstable orbit for the world.
Life is resilient once it exists... fragile at times, but resilient when established. Whether magic or astronomy are the reason, there's no reason humans - a species capable of living in virtually any environment encountered on Earth, and recall there are parts of Africa where "Winter" is a non-factor as its always blindingly hot, and parts of Canada, Alaska and Russia where Summer, if it comes, is a blip - couldn't evolve. Also, who's to say humans even evolved on the world Westeros is upon.

I think there's a couple of factors to consider. One being that it's Martin's fictional world. He creates certain structural facts about that world that serve his story. They don't have to make sense with our world because it's not the world we live in. They only have to make sense within the confines of the story. Summers and Winters will be as long as they need to in order to serve the story of A Song of Ice and Fire. Accepted on face value that way, the long seasons are no different than having dragons and wargs, wights and red magic. It's all part of the canon of Martin's world.

The second thing to take into consideration is that I don't think the term "season" means the same thing in Martin's world that it does in ours. Recall that they make references in the books to "light Summer snows" and that sort of thing. In most of the Global North we think of seasons as the four distinct times of year with generalized weather patterns. Winter is cold, Spring is warm, Summer is hot and Fall is cool. Those nations even define the start and end times for the rest of the world (e.g. March 21st is the "official" start of Spring...what does that even mean?)--even if the weather doesn't cooperate. How long into Spring was it still snowing in the South? And Wyoming got a late snowfall just last week.

To put that in perspective, where I live in the Philippines, they don't define their seasons that way at all. April and May is considered "Summer" here, as that is the hottest time of year. The next season is not Fall, but Rainy Season, starting in June and lasting until sometime between September and November. Rainy Season is also referred to as Winter here. And that time between November and March is referred to as "High Season". That's when the weather is less hot, but without as much rain. It's called High Season because that's when all the tourists come, but also because that's when a lot of construction and other business gets accomplished...without blisteringly hot temperatures or monsoons to interfere. A season of high economic activity either way, thus "High Season". People in Southeast Asia prepare for Rainy Season much the way Starks prepare for Winter. You always know it's coming, and you try to get things in order before the weather makes it impossible for you to accomplish things.

So rather than think of seasons as fixed, defined and regimented weather patterns, think of it as a way to explain a generalized set of circumstances.

I think Summer in Westeros is simply the times when weather is most pleasant and economic activity is high. Think of those times you've had a "mild Winter" where you live...and I think that's what Martin would call a "Summer Snow" in Westeros.

I do think The Others have a role in the seasons of Martin's world however, I'm not sure to what extent. Most people in Westeros believe The Others died out centuries ago. But they've had bad Winters in living memory of the characters we know. So either The Others have been stronger all this time and the people of Westeros simply unawares (totally a possibility) or they have less an impact on actual weather than we think.

My two cents.

Over the past few years, I have begun exploring on the Internet, regarding a song of ice and fire. I’ve come across a number of people on YouTube, including Preston Jacobs and AnAmericanThinks. They are convinced that all of Martin’s fiction over the last 50 years belong to the same universe. He has a collection of short stories, revolving around a character named Haviland Tuf. The stories are gathered into a volume titled Tuf Voyaging. There is a derelict space ship of mind, boggling, size and power. That views all life on one planet as hostile. It unleashes seasons, storms, and biological warfare to kill hostile activity.