What will happen to the series if George dies before completing it?

chongjasmine

I really enjoy the series, and wonder what will happen to it if George should pass away.
Will someone else take over the job, or will it be left unfinished?

He has stated previously that he wants all of his manuscripts burned upon his death so that there can be no successor. Personally, I hate that his writing is so captivating because I really dislike him as a person.

Will anyone be bothered? I suspect that his heritage will be "Oh, that bloke who never finished the Game of Thrones series". Besides, there's a long history of that particular clause in a will being ignored: Aubrey Beardsley, Nabokov and Kafka among others.

I really enjoy the series, and wonder what will happen to it if George should pass away.
Will someone else take over the job, or will it be left unfinished?

At some point after , another writer would be hired to compete the series.

My fees are reasonable...

I'm sure the example of Brian Herbert offers great hope for the kind quality replacement writer we can expect.

Personally I am done with it, read the books as they came out then waited and waited and now TBH just dont care

I wont buy it and wont rereead it, the TV series was enough and I am done waiting,

@chongjasmine The first response by @SurrealSisyphus expresses GRRM’s wishes. His view is that it is his story and so it is his to finish or no one’s.

I learned an important lesson from Peter Jackson’s adaptation of Middle-earth. As much as I cherish the source material, it’s a different story, and I do not need to be so emotionally involved. I’ve had to let go of the changes that were made, and my animosity for those changes as well.

Another lesson that I have learned was from the television show LOST . As fantastic as the story was during the first season, I am still bothered by the ending. I wish I had stopped watching after the first or second season, and just imagined my own ending. I would feel much more satisfied. I think that this is the case for Firefly. I can imagine the origins for Book, the future for Mal and Inara (and her health issues), and whether Zoe is carrying Wash’s child.

Regardless of whether the series gets finished, I have had 17 years of enjoyment posting on the Chronicles Network.

I would love for Martin’s journey to be a lesson for other writers, about how to stay focused, and not be distracted by epic success.

I'm not sure if GRRM has been distracted by his success so much as has bitten off much more than he could chew. He seems to me like a man who has rowed a very long way from shore, when he should have turned back a while ago, and now has a big journey ahead of him.

But otherwise I completely agree, especially about Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. I suppose sometimes no ending is much better than a rubbish ending.

I think GRRM made his story too big, forcing him to juggle with too many characters and storylines whilst also havng to deal with the aftermath of a time skip not taken. For example. I think (quick google not sure if correct) Arya is 9 years old at start of the novel, she is currently 11 years old as of ADWD. Now it seems to me Arya was to be trained as a faceless men and become a deadly assassin. No matter how clever you are, you can't be taking seriously, as the deadliest of assassins at age 11. All in all i think it has left him with some form or burnout. Like he can't get the motivation to knuckle down. or more accurately, he is having a hard time finding the forest amidst the trees, and is not making much progress even when knuckling down leaving him demotivated in the long run.

Meanwhile he is loving working on all the other stuff. Maybe cause there , he still got a clear overview. He sees the start, the ending and everything in between. Those projects may be a breath of fresh air from the fog that has become the main story.

Obviously all of this is my conjecture/speculation. I don't know GRRM. I might be entirely wrong.

In any case i've enjoyed the works he has put out. his books are amongst the best i read. Him not ending the story won't change that.
Obviously i would like to know the ending of a story. I guess that's human nature. I mean some people are fine with open endings to stories, but usually i prefer a form of closure from the stories i read. All in all, if GRRM doesn't finish, than that is what happens. I'm okay with it.

If he doesn't want other people to continue writing the story, then i'm naive enough to hope people won't do so. In truth i never enjoyed series in which other writers took over as much from that point onwards. You can tell the mind behind the story is not the same as the mind that wrote what came before. Though i'm holding out hope for some sort of quick synopsis on the ending from GRRM himself, if he ends up deciding not to finish the story (or life decides for him or myself - Hope i haven't just jinxed myself, as i hope to continue living for quite some time).

In some way you can argue we already have a rough view of the ending GRRM envisions thanks to the tv show. But the tv show went bad real fast once past the book materials, and it was clear the show writers couldn't resist twisting the story to their liking/viewpoints on life/modern society during the final couple of seasons.

Last edited:
Personally I am done with it, read the books as they came out then waited and waited and now TBH just dont care

I wont buy it and wont rereead it, the TV series was enough and I am done waiting,
This, except I didn't even watch the TV series.

My bookcases are filled with books that have been read and re-read to the point where the spines have so many creases in them that they are practically unreadable - old friends, that I know so well that I could recite the characters and the plot off the top of my head. But I still read them yet again.
The GoT books stand out like a sore thumb: pristine spines, and as shiny as the day they were bought. Very clever books, but I just can't engage with the characters on any level. And when I've actually started to do so, invariably they've been killed off, as much for effect than anything else, IMHO.

@Toby Frost what I mean by epic success is that Martin is forced to become a manager of dozens of aspects of merchandising. The man is a writer, an artist. I don’t think administering a marketing empire is his cup of tea.

@Koopa I agree. I think he’s artistic bent towards developing characters’ story arcs means that his characters go in many directions that he did not plan at the beginning. And now he has to bring those characters back together yet try and stay true to who the characters have become.

Today I suddenly thought about WoW. Not sure why, I stopped checking on progress several years ago and, sadly have pretty much given up on ASoIaF. But I thought I would see what, if anything, people were saying about it and came across this thread.

I don't think it is a case of IF he dies before finishing but close to 100% certainty. For sure I will not be buying or reading WoW unless he actually also finishes the series with ADoS but given its been 12 years since the last book and he is now 74 years old, I simply cannot see it happening.

I used to get annoyed at him for hooking me in with something so brilliant and then leaving me dangling whilst searching for more and more $ but I really don't care much any more.

I think mostly, it is this indifference that makes me sad.

He ain't finishing this series. The genesis of this failure predates the TV series and subsequent successes. Like many writers of epic fantasy before him, he simply couldn't deliver a satisfactory conclusion to this story. There was so much mystery and intrigue to unravel - so much hype to deliver on. If anything, the negative response to the final season of the TV series was affirmation. Yes the producers were dreadful but the seed of the story was probably the same.

I am trying to think of an example of an epic fantasy series that promised much but ended with a lot of meh. The one that stands out in my memory is the David Eddings series.

He ain't finishing this series. The genesis of this failure predates the TV series and subsequent successes. Like many writers of epic fantasy before him, he simply couldn't deliver a satisfactory conclusion to this story. There was so much mystery and intrigue to unravel - so much hype to deliver on. If anything, the negative response to the final season of the TV series was affirmation. Yes the producers were dreadful but the seed of the story was probably the same.

I am trying to think of an example of an epic fantasy series that promised much but ended with a lot of meh. The one that stands out in my memory is the David Eddings series.

David Eddings is basically a one note wonder .

It wasn't the best comparison but for some reason the one that always springs to mind when I think of the damp squib, anticlimactic finish to an epic fantasy series. Suppose this isn't limited to this genre. Sometimes authors rely too heavily on hooks, an air of mystery, the thick promise of revelation only to later deliver a pretty mundane explanation. I imagine the TV series Lost is a great example of this. I have to imagine because I stopped watching after the second season

It wasn't the best comparison but for some reason the one that always springs to mind when I think of the damp squib, anticlimactic finish to an epic fantasy series. Suppose this isn't limited to this genre. Sometimes authors rely too heavily on hooks, an air of mystery, the thick promise of revelation only to later deliver a pretty mundane explanation. I imagine the TV series Lost is a great example of this. I have to imagine because I stopped watching after the second season

I stuck with the series the 100 Right to end , It wasn't worth it. Every season got ever more bleak , depressing and nihilistic . This is one time when wish the Network had stepped in and put stop that direction for the show. The ending really sucked .

Last edited:
Sometimes authors rely too heavily on hooks, an air of mystery, the thick promise of revelation only to later deliver a pretty mundane explanation. I imagine the TV series Lost is a great example of this. I have to imagine because I stopped watching after the second season
As did I. But from what I've heard, the ending of Lost isn't what you'd call mundane, though opinion is very divided as to whether it's any good.

Back