Anne Bishop

GOLLUM said:
HMMM...must get a copy of Dreams Made Flesh from my local bookstore next time I'm in town.

Not sure it would appeal Gollum, I think Bishops books are written for women :D The male characters are definately written from a womans point of view ;)

rune said:
Not sure it would appeal Gollum, I think Bishops books are written for women :D The male characters are definately written from a womans point of view ;)
Aw so like when did that ever stop me?....:p

Thanks for the insight but I might still take a peak mate...:D

It is interesting that you should also find a connection between these two trilogies. I tend to stumble across authors and in this case I thoroughly enjoyed reading both Anne Bishop and Jacqueline Carey. I also find the strong feminine theme very compelling.
I have just discovered this forum and I was wondering could you recommend any other authors that might appeal in the same way? Thanks in advance

elvet said:
I'm almost finished the last book in the Black Jewels trilogy. I really like the strong feminine message and the smattering of eroticism. It kind of reminds me of the Kushiel books.
Does anyone have any info on Anne Bishop's other books, and how they compare to her trilogy?
It is interesting that you should also find a connection between these two trilogies. I tend to stumble across authors and in this case I thoroughly enjoyed reading both Anne Bishop and Jacqueline Carey. I also find the strong feminine theme very compelling.
I have just discovered this forum and I was wondering could you recommend any other authors that might appeal in the same way? Thanks in advance

Well, I don't have a lot of fantasy under my belt yet, so I don't have a lot of experience to draw on. Liveship Traders (Robin Hobb) has many strong female characters, but no erotic undertones as in Bishop's books. I've read one of Sara Douglass' books - Threshold - and though the central character is female, it's more romantic than sultry.
I'd be interested in hearing if there are other recommendations from the members. Maybe starting a new topic in general discussion might reach more forumites.

Well, it's hard to say what would appeal 'in the same way'. I can't think, off the top of my head, of any books that have the strong adventure/fantasy theme, strong female protagonists, eroticism, and a romantic thread throughout. Take a few of any of the choices, and I could probably match something up, but the erotic/romantic female-lead fantasy isn't something I can come up with an easy match for.

For good epic fantasy with strong female characters, Michelle West's Sun Sword series comes to mind. For more erotic sci fi/fantasy, the early Anita Blake/Meridith Gentry serieses by Laurell K. Hamilton might interest you, but I'd say the stories are a little less complex, especially when compared to the Kushiel books.

And for good old-fashioned romantic space opera, Sharon Lee and Steve Miller write very enjoyable stuff I can't say enough good things about. =)

As for Anne Bishop's other books, I enjoyed Sebastian (seemed like quite an original storyline) but her Pillars of the World series wasn't as good, in my opinion. The evil clergyman bent on destroying all magic bit is just too overdone, the characters just too one-dimensional, for me to really feel any attachment to anything. Maybe others had a different experience, but I'd stick to the Black Jewels books and Sebastian if I were you.

As for the gender preference question... well, I know two other guys who love the Bishop books (as well as the Lee & Miller stuff) but we're all hopeless romantics and have a soft spot for stories with happy endings. Who knows? Next month you could find me wallowing in Harlequin romances. If you do, please slap me with Dostoyevsky until I come to my senses. I'd least like to keep a little dignity. =)

I think Sebastion was a good start to her new series. Im really looking forward to the 2nd book as i tend to find her series improve per book :D

I just finished reading Sebastian, and I have read her other two series. I enjoyed them alot, she is very good a world building and character development.

I really liked The Black Jewels Trilogy. As for Dreams Made Flesh, the writing wasn't as good of quality, but it was nice to find out what happened after Black Jewels.

I've also read Sebastian, but it had too much cheesy romance in it for my taste.