late bloomers

Do think it's common--or even possible--for someone to suddenly become a fan of SF or F late in life without a foundation of early exposure? I'm probably talking about serious fans and readers (like us); I know most people can't escape casual familiarity with SF through film and TV.

I might qualify as a late bloomer. I've alway loved books and have read many different kinds of books. SFF has been included there too, but it's only the last couple of years that I've begun seeking it out deliberately. I'm 32.

Having moved from Scandinavia to Ireland, I also now find a lot of books in normal bookstores, which would've been hard to find in Scandinavia without going to a specific SFF bookstore. Maybe that's partly because a lot of it is written in English, but since I'd rather read a book in English than a translation, if it's orginally written in English, I just see that as an extra perk.

With the big number of "classic" SFF-writers that I've never heard of before and most certainly never read, it can be discussed if I'm really an SFF-fan or not. I don't think it's that important whether I fit a label like that or not - as long as I can keep reading.

I like both Sci-fi and fantasy.

With the big number of "classic" SFF-writers that I've never heard of before and most certainly never read, it can be discussed if I'm really an SFF-fan or not. I don't think it's that important whether I fit a label like that or not - as long as I can keep reading.

Well, I think that many people who are fans of sff have tons of "classic" (or perhaps "formative" might be a better word in this context) writers they've not read... While I'm fairly decently read in the field, I know this is the case with me. But with the proliferation of sff books over the past 30 years or so, it'd be almost impossible for anyone who had a life other than reading to make any serious inroads in getting caught up.

Which is a long way of saying ... Yep. I think you're a fan!:p :D

Which is a long way of saying ... Yep. I think you're a fan!:p :D

Heh!

Looking at the list of authors who have their own sub-forums, it also looks like you have a broader definition of SFF than I'd expect, since you include both Stephen King and HP. Lovecraft, both of whom I like.

Stephen King, I haven't read for a long time, but I've fairly recently found myself buying collections of short-stories by HP Lovecraft.

By that definition, I have been a fan for much longer than I normally think I have, so I might not count as a late bloomer after all.

All of that confusion with definitions... I tried to search for an FAQ to find out how you define it, but didn't manage to find one.

But with the proliferation of sff books over the past 30 years or so, it'd be almost impossible for anyone who had a life other than reading to make any serious inroads in getting caught up.
I agree, but think of the fun you can have trying!:) I've often wondered if it would be possible to be hypnotized into forgetting everything you've ever read by an author, just for the pleasure of reading it for the very first time - again!:D

SF can be pretty addictive to a 14 year old male but I doubt it's addictive to a 40 year old. (Sorry can't speak for females)

SF can be pretty addictive to a 14 year old male but I doubt it's addictive to a 40 year old. (Sorry can't speak for females)

I wouldn't be too sure about that. It all depends on how flexible their thinking is, and how much they enjoy having their imagination stretched. And, if they hit some of the post-modernist stuff, how much they can handle the unconventional techniques. I've known more than a few to come to sf late that got quite addicted to it... just depends on what they hit; it's a pretty damned broad field, from "Doc" Smith's space opera to intensive inner-city stories such as Disch's 334; from nuts-'n'-bolts stories such as George O. Smith to prose-poetry such as Delaney. And that's not even counting what's been done in the last 30 years or so.....

I worked for a large book chain for about 10 years and spent most of my time turning on teenagers to "good authors". But there is also some cross pollination from other genres. I recommended Weber to Griffin fans. And Laura Hamilton to horror fans which led to Lovecraft discussions and dark fantasy reading. Currently there seems to be a trend from Romance to Fantasy through books like Irresistible Forces- a collection which includes Lois Bujold and Mary Jo Putney. Adults want to read quality books whatever the genre.

Back