What do modern-day readers want from books? (and other thought-provoking questions)

Re: What do modern-day readers want from books? (and other thought-provoking question

I want the author to go for my jugular.
I hate authors who consider plot development synonymous with shootout,life- threatening situations('Hollywood syndrome')
Prose should be unobtrusive,effective,subordinate,and generate the mood
A bit of restraint in the cover art
I hate authors resorting to the old 'deus ex machina'
I hate authors repeating/stealing ingredients from other author's novels(bestseller syndrome).
I will love any author who can create a believable,consistent universe/suspend disbelief(which is an art all by itself)
I love authors who show they have their characters well woked out,with no funny lapses into out-of-character thoughts or actions.

Re: What do modern-day readers want from books? (and other thought-provoking question

Sadly, HSF, you must have a pretty restricted reading list these days then!:(
I'd agree with all those criteria, though, except for the cover art one - some of the best books I've read have had lurid covers, and some of the worst have had elegant, restrained ones. The old saying really is true, you know!:D

Sadly, HSF, you must have a pretty restricted reading list these days then!:(
I'd agree with all those criteria, though, except for the cover art one - some of the best books I've read have had lurid covers, and some of the worst have had elegant, restrained ones. The old saying really is true, you know!:D

Pyan,you don't know the half of it.My strict Amish upbringing,my substance abuse,my low IQ,my bad English,my baboon George,the voices in my head,the axe murderer next door,the ill-fitting T-shirts,all a conspiracy to let me read less than I want.
Do you mean to say that SF/Fantasy/ Horror literature is ridden with sloppy writing,plagiarism,lack of inventiveness,authors cresting a wave,purple prose,needless verbosity,and general ignorance of what constitutes good writing?
Surely not!

Man i wish i were like those people that have alot of books waiting to be read cause sometimes i get an monsterous strong urge to read a good book.

I had ordered several books from the library and was about just to pick them a but they closed earlier than i thought today thanks to bloody easter so i cant have my books before TUESDAY, thats FIVE LONG DAYS :eek:

Re: What do modern-day readers want from books?

I am amazed at how many piles of books are mounting up in living rooms accross the world! I feel a bit cheap now, I get them from the library, and only buy a book if it's a keeper.:D Plus, you tend to read more when you know they'll be going back soon, or else you have to pay a fine:eek: Although, money doesn't seem an issue for some, I would be pawning the books for baked bean money if it wasn't read within six months.:) Or keep the new stuff and clear out the old. Recycle your read!

Money doesnt seem an issue for some :(...... thats exactly thats the reason i couldnt get the first teen books i wanted from the library today. They were with selfish people that didnt care about the fine and had the books gathering dust in thier house.
Lucky me i buy the books of the writers i am a fan of. So far i own 3 fantasy books and they are all Gemmell. Its hard to try the other guys when you cant borrow the books, on a student's cash you cant just go and buy ten books at once.....

Right i only have to read Assasin's Apparentice cause only cause my little sis high school had it in.

Sorry for the rant i am alittle annoyed by people that dont care to return the books.

Hey, rant all you want! Not taking a book back is very rude in my opinion.
I don't have a big bookcase full of fantasy, when I moved I gave hundreds of books to charity. I remind everyone at Christmas that I read a lot and they buy me shoes:confused: My other half thinks books are clutter, so I get around it by reading quick and exchanging quick.:) I would secretly love a TBR pile!;) Charity shops are good for books too-always worth a look! (It's not all M& B on their shelves!)

That reminds me,i just remembered a shop like that it sells alot of books for pennies.

Sorry, just started reading the thread so have a comment about the initial debate.

I agree that even 'True Greatness' is subjective. Just because it could be 'defined' by a (subjective) set of criteria, decided upon by a (certain) group of people does not mean there can be objective Greatness; it's too abstract a concept.

To me, a Great author is one that I enjoy reading, would read again and makes me think. There are lots of others that I might consider to be skilled, successful, interesting, etc.

P.S. I would class J K Rowling as a successful author.

Re: What do modern-day readers want? (and other thought-provoking questions)

First, what makes an author "great"?

Second: Is our trend towards instant gratification moving towards book as well?

Third: Are we moving away from writing in which the writing itself is as important as the plot?

1.) I read literary novels, and I read dark urban fantasy novels. I am also in the book business, and my novels are a combination of both. So what I look for in a novel is usually not what makes a novel a "hit" on the charts or the ones that win big awards. I love a book if it gives me a good ride. I like thorough character development. The book can have a plot, but I don't mind at all if the plot is character-driven, and the plot moves forward as the character is developed. What I don't want is a plot that moves so fast and at the expense of the characters that I am choking for air at the end, and I have no idea what motivates the characters. I also want the author to have a love for words and the arrangements of words that translate an idea to the reader in an awesome way. I want consistency, meaning I want all of the above factors to remain consistent in every book the author writes, regardless of the plot or theme or storyline. This makes an author great in my eyes. Okay, I want a lot. And you may have guessed by now I start more books than I finish.

2.) If a book doesn't dazzle me in the first 50 pages I won't finish it. My time is too valuable. But that doesn't mean it has to grab me in the way most publishers think you have to grab the reader, meaning shocking action upfront in the first sentence of chapter one. I mean it has to grab me by exhibiting all the factors I mentioned above. And unfortunately our society is moving toward instant gratification, I think, in the book market as well. Many agents will now tell you to throw away the first few chapters of your book and start with the action, then work your way back. That is instant gratification in the book market without a doubt! A shame, but the way things are progressing, because the book busines is no different than any other type of business. It is all about money now. I'm not saying making money and selling lots of books is a bad thing. But to do it at the expense of quality writing is. That is why I often look at small press books, because those are the ones that seem to be bucking this trend. Sadly, they aren't in most bookstores, but you can find them on the web.

3.) Yes, I think so. It is still important in many literary novels, but also in some genre novels. I think there are many good writers in the fantasy genre. But when publishers push plot as the end-all for a money-making book, I think the writing will suffer. Just being a novelist, I know you will slow the pace of the plot down if you add too many details, even if they are relevant to the story. And beautiful writing always slows the plot down. So it is a dilemma in our society for sure, and getting worse every day. Someone at another forum just recommended a book to me that she said was so poetically written she just loved it. Of course I got it and started reading. But by page 80 I had to quit. There was nothing poetic about the writing...in fact it bored me to tears. And I thought she must not know what poetic writing sounds like to think this is poetic. And that is the danger. When plot is more imporant than the words people won't be able to recognize the beauty of a well-written sentence anymore. And that is a shame.

First, what makes an author "great"?
Think there are too many ways of using the title great especially when dealing with books. So I'll supply 3 answers:

A 'Great' author is simply one with a lot of books that become definitive- Agatha Christie would be a good example,

A 'Great' writer is one who can create quality prose that builds detailed worlds and atmosphere in a way that still have meaning many years later- Dickens would be good example

A 'Great' storyteller is one that brings fascination by the nature and pace of the story, even when describing quite mundane things- Robert Heinlein or Doc Smith

The three 'Greats' are not necessarily vested in the same person. Heinlein for example is an awful writer but a great storyteller

Third: Are we moving away from writing in which the writing itself is as important as the plot?
I fear it is the opposite. Writing is far more important than plot or story.
I read the 2002 Booker prize winner, for 500 pages the hero does little more than get up in the morning and go to bed at night. No story, no plot, but beautifully spelt.

That said there appears to be a difference in modern writing styles depending on which side of the pond you are. From the US the tendency seems to be towards persistant short sharp sentences and paragraphs. The UK side the move is towards longer lugubrious prose. Both trends, in my opinion, are wrong- Good writing needs both.

Personally, I look for a book that gets on with the story in all its various plots and doesn't feel a pressing urge to go into irrelevant digressions or descriptions. I do not need two pages about rose bushes, stone walls or grey clouds- Tell me they are there, I can imagine the rest.

I do not need two pages about rose bushes, stone walls or grey clouds- Tell me they are there, I can imagine the rest.

Well put!

Sometimes i get very angry at some writers for doings things like that for many pages without it making a difference in the story.

I'm not sure the popularity of such authors as Rowling means much of anything for society. The same debate over Stephen King has been raging for years- are his books really art? Japan has had the same debate over whether the emerging dominance of manga is an indication of a decline in their society.

If people read to take a load off their minds, what does that indicate? That they're tired of thinking, or that their jobs are already demanding a lot of their brain power? And is this phenomenon of popular but not stellar writers really new? When novels first emerged, they were treated as "low art", inferior to poetry. Then some great writing came out, but pulp-style novels are still with us.

As far as appreciation of art in general society- a lot of people will always be rather immune to it, education or no. There will always be a segment of humanity that questions and observes the world around itself and creates art, though the mode changes and isn't always appreciated at the time.
I look down the Westerns aisle at our local store and it's still dominated by L'Amour, Zane Grey and Max Brand, the latter two are long dead and weren't considered great art in their time, nor now, and yet they hang on and still sell.

...Writers of fluff do not get studied in academia year in year out; writers of fluff are not still in print 100 years later.
Define fluff.:D Some of it is still in print, and it was considered fluff then. Was the general estimation wrong? And academia studies everything, constantly questioning its own understanding. Tolkien was largely considered fluff not worthy of study at a university level, and yet I've seen classes offered since the movies came out. It's an ambiguous area where lessons are drawn out and references to other great works are brought in. Tolkien then becomes a springboard for more philosophical discussion. Almost all writing, given sufficient popularity, could become fodder for the mill of the mind. I suppose you could even use Eragon as a university course, given the right teachers. Is the book an end of itself or a means to an end?

Some slots of greatness are filled with great works, and many more are filled with stories that happened to be in the right place at the right time. Because it was of value to you, you introduce others to it. Would another story have done the job? Probably, but it so happens you were introduced to one, rather than the other, and passed it along. So in a way popularity does matter. There's a sense of nostalgia and enjoyment that wants to be shared, and it's dependent upon what's available or popular at the time.

Was Sherlock Holmes considered art in his own time? And is there art in what's out there now, and we're just missing it? I'm of the opinion that there is a lot of potential in most novels (though there is some unsalvagable garbage out there), and that the other factors of popularity determine which rise to art and which are forgotten.

One common thing all books with a long shelf-life have is a good original story. How many times have Shakespeare's plays and Dicken's novels been re-interpreted. Romeo and Juliet as West Side Story, The Tempest as Forbidden Planet, for example. You cannot do that with Harry Potter.
Well, they weren't original stories. They were GOOD stories, rehashed ad nauseum, and these were the best versions. That's one thing Shakespeare didn't do- create his own storylines.

There is something in the "spirit of the age" that both lets us see something in older works, but also a certain blindness to greatness about us, or even greatness in the past- that's why authors come and go. Even discerning people go through phases of appreciation and understanding, in which they may denigrate works that they later have to re-evaluate.

And some lowbrow books are loved because they are lowbrow- people love the pulpy quality of them, and if people have all read the same pulp author, it builds common ground between them.

Sorry for the rant i am a little annoyed by people that don't care to return the books.
Perfect time of life to discover the "classics"- every thrift store has nearly a complete set (see conversation on books bought but never read), and they sell them for dirt cheap, and I mean dirt cheap. Get some of those classics in while your mind is still young and fresh and exploring the world!:D (Yes, I know many find they don't understand them until much later, but I still think it's a good idea.)

Many agents will now tell you to throw away the first few chapters of your book and start with the action, then work your way back. That is instant gratification in the book market without a doubt!
It comes and it goes. They've been cutting straight to the chase for the better part of a hundred years now. But being that books are being read by working people now and not aristocracy with lots of free time, I guess it makes a difference.

A book that takes you somewhere different to what you have read before.
I'm interested in blended genres. The classics for me signify changes in writing that were significant. If you were to look at the changes in writing style the forerunners become the classics.
JK Rowling and realistic fantasy settings/Grecian thread.
Anne Rice and the southern style vampires.
Stephen King and his adventure/horrors
CS Lewis: the application of maths to fantasy
Rowan of Rin/Deltora Quest: puzzles/fantasy setting.

Sometimes its a blending done in a unique way.
Sometimes its timeless. Lord of the Rings has so much depth in its blended aspects that they're still writing books about the book.

I'm fascinated by a short story called The Ugly Chickens...the extinct dodo...layer upon layer of things to think about in that story. Do you find yourself imagining things ahead or outside of the story or other stories with the same character in them ...

And yet, does it speak to the heart...you know these characters...you've seen this...its as real as it is not...and the words become part of your vocabulary for describing things in a way people never thought to describe them but ring true.

And the whole writers at play: the style element...Robin Hobbs exerpts from documents written and Stephen Kings playful digs at Koontz and brief mentions of similar things in novels...Terry Pratchett weaving in similar threads and ideas in different ways ...

I love books. I have the stuff that I like reading for the moment as well. But great writing is the stuff that I can't help revisiting and rereading. Its the books that other people write about. Its the books that become part of our culture as well.

I think a writer who can be called the greatest should have the ability to find something that most people can see but cann't realise and give it to the reader to think and to discuss.
Of couse,writing style is important,but can we just aspire after it and neglect the idea(sorry,I could not find a correct word to describe my meaning.)? My answer is no!
I used reading a book named 'hong lou meng',it enlighten me a lot. Maybe you guys could read this book. It's absolutly a miracle.