What we're reading in August...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know which one I would read first, Lacey...the Saxon series! Still, that is my favourite period in History.:)

Have just finished reading The Serpent Bride by Sara Douglass. I thought it was very well written and really enjoyed it.

Most of the books on the 'New Release Shelf' had only about 400 to 500 pages and too expensive, so I am now re-reading Ian Irvine's Song of the Tears.

Finished Alpha Centauri--or Die! by Leigh Brackett. Good stuff, althugh it hadn't aged as well as some of Brackett's other stories (People of the Talisman, for example). It was published back to back with Legend of Lost Earth by G McDonald Wallis, which I started but couldn't get into at all.

Now reading The New Space Opera, edited by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan.

The Crow - The Third Book of Pellinor, by Alison Croggon
Not bad, a bit derivative maybe......

Altered Corben - Richard Morgan

Its a very good book and the world,characters,hole cyberpunk/noir thing i like alot.

The world creeps the hell outta of me. Its so unnatural with people changing bodies like it was nothing and death is like yesterdays thing for most of them.

Finished Wylder's Hand. LeFanu has a rather provoking habit of misdirection at times, but I can forgive that as it was the style of a mystery of the period, and he casts the atmosphere so very, very well. Not nearly as rambling as parts of The House by the Churchyard, nor so given to humor (though there is some)... much more grim, overall, and (for those who like nineteenth-century writing) an enjoyable read.

I'm also well into the Ringel book, and I must say that I'd like to strangle the proofreaders and such here... The book itself (the writing, her insights, the sheer amount of fascinating information) is very enjoyable and I can see I'm going to have a lot more fun stuff to look up once I finish with this one; but the problem is in the compositing... partial lines repeated where the last word is chopped off in the middle and immediately (without a space) runs into what should be the first word of the text at that point... sometimes in the middle of sentences (with a change to a new line of text), sometimes at the beginning of a sentence (in which case it can be anywhere in the actual line of text). VERY annoying... and a grave disservice to an otherwise very interesting (and enjoyably written) book.....

I just finished book 1 of Michelle West's Sundered series. She continues to give me a consistently great read. This is the last of her finished series that I haven't read, and I'm trying to savor it.

Godslayer, Volume two of the Sundering, by Jacqueline Carey.. Should've arrived by now damnit. It's the lord of the rings from the bad guys perspective. Good stuff. I hope the good guys don't win.

Liz Williams, The Demon and the City. Enjoying the increased role played by Zhu Irzh in this book.

I'm reading Keeping It Real and Selling Out by Justina Robson. FABULOUS! Hard to define as SF or fantasy because they are both, and so much more besides. No one combines action, fun, humour, intelligence and stunningly creative inventiveness quite like Justina. Highly recommended.

I'm reading Keeping It Real and Selling Out by Justina Robson. FABULOUS! Hard to define as SF or fantasy because they are both, and so much more besides. No one combines action, fun, humour, intelligence and stunningly creative inventiveness quite like Justina. Highly recommended.

Is Selling Out the second book in that series? If so, will have to check to see if it's out here in the US.

Michael Stackpole's Cartomancy, the second in his Atlas series (not sure of the true title of the series). It's an interesting series in that he has created some unique twists. Lots of characters and switching of pov happens all the time and the story moves along at a pretty fast clip.

Now I'm reading Straight Into Darkness, by Faye Kellerman. Bought it several months ago and hadn't gotten around to reading it, but after re-reading the other Kellerman book, I decided to pick it up.

It's a murder mystery set in 1929 in Germany.

Field of Swords- Conn Iggulden

Gods of War - Conn Iggulden

The Last two books In The Emperor series. Its time to finish it so i can read one of my many library books.

I'm reading The Earthsea Quartet, and then i plan to move onto the last two books of the Bartimaeus Trilogy, The Telling Pool by David Clement-Davies, and then rereading the rest of my library - not that all of that will be done in August, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.