A Fire Upon the Deep - Vernor Vinge

I don't know, a number of things can't be dramatized all that well.
I doubt that a movie can impart the same awe where Transcended are cencerned for example.

It would difficult to adapts.

I'm a bit of an Audiobook nut. I like reading and listening to get thru more great books, faster. I'll be posting the Chapter times and lengths for the entire Zones of Thought series so folks who like to read AND listen can optimize their time and enjoyment. I'll update this post with a link to the SFFChronicles posts shortly.

I'm a bit of an Audiobook nut. I like reading and listening to get thru more great books, faster. I'll be posting the Chapter times and lengths for the entire Zones of Thought series so folks who like to read AND listen can optimize their time and enjoyment. I'll update this post with a link to the SFFChronicles posts shortly.
That is an interesting approach and not one I have ever considered in my reading life. I look forward to seeing your results.

Optimising time for me involves going to bed a bit earlier to allow more time for reading before sleep, or reading a book on the train or plane, or deciding what books to take on holiday. I have always worked on the assumption that a book takes as long as it takes.

I wasn't that interested in the doggies TBH, I'd have liked another story based more in the big tech society with "the web of a million lies"

That is an interesting approach and not one I have ever considered in my reading life. I look forward to seeing your results.

Optimizing time for me involves going to bed a bit earlier to allow more time for reading before sleep, or reading a book on the train or plane, or deciding what books to take on holiday. I have always worked on the assumption that a book takes as long as it takes.
HitMouse: I'm posting the full Zone of Thoughts chapter times today. I finished them up last night. There are SO many items on my TBR list that I've come to the realization that I don't read as fast as I can listen. I'm guessing that is true for most of us. What I can say is I intend to start building a database of chapter times on here with the hope that the idea catches on and other see not only its direct value but the willingness to give back too. How great would it be if you could pull up any classic SF book and know if you got in in audio where you could pick up from your reading and listen for an hour or two. You just cleared 100 pages. :)

HitMouse: I'm posting the full Zone of Thoughts chapter times today. I finished them up last night. There are SO many items on my TBR list that I've come to the realization that I don't read as fast as I can listen. I'm guessing that is true for most of us. What I can say is I intend to start building a database of chapter times on here with the hope that the idea catches on and other see not only its direct value but the willingness to give back too. How great would it be if you could pull up any classic SF book and know if you got in in audio where you could pick up from your reading and listen for an hour or two. You just cleared 100 pages. :)
I will be interested to see how you get on. I have been reading SF intensively for about 45 years so I think I probably feel less pressure than you describe.

I will be interested to see how you get on. I have been reading SF intensively for about 45 years so I think I probably feel less pressure than you describe.
Hitmouse, I'm in my middle ages (my 50s) and have read alot of SF over the years as well. Years ago I made it a TBR project to read every book on a Top 100 best SF list. These lists change over the years, but mostly the top books stay the same. Recently I looked at a GoodReads SF list and it had a few books that I hadn't read. I've read two of them in the last month and would say that I'd have kept them off the list all together, but I think that is my age and history of reading alot of material from the 1960's thru today. I would argue that a Mote in God's Eye is far better then Hunger Games, but finding a Gen Z who's read Niven, much less the Motie series is far less likely then one that has read about Katniss Everdeen's journey. I think this a cultural effect from movies and TV influencing the book world. Speaking of Niven, I'm posting "A Gift From Earth" chapter breakdown tomorrow. We'll see how it gets on...:unsure:

I don't think I could stand audio book listening - except maybe in a very long car ride. I find listening to people reading things so slow. I can barely stand to watch instruction videos. I generally turn on the CC and raise the playback speed.