Your Favorite Fantasy Book(s)

SilentEagle

The Eagle Has Spoken
Hello everyone. I wanting to start reading books from the fantasy genre and I was was wondering if everone would mind helpping me out. Besides the Lord of the Rings and Earthsea books, what are your favorite fantasy book or series. The kind of a book I would like to start with would have adventure, romance, wizards, elfs, and also would be part of a series. Also if it would help I'm 29. Thanks in advance.

~SilentEagle

You could try Tad Williams series Memory Sorrow and Thorn. Though my favorites would be Hobb's series Farseer, Livship Traders, The Tawny man and George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire; in those, however, you would find less elves and wizards and whatnot.

I would definatly second Robin Hobb, she's really good for adventure and romance.

Terry Brooks Shannara series are good for elves and the like - not my personal fave i'll admit but he has a big following.

Also David Eddings The Belgariad is very good.

other faves of mine are J.V. Jones, Juliet E McKenna...I could go on forever but i'll stop at this point!

Hope this helps:)

Fantasy
Mark Anthony - Last Rune Series
Raymond E Feist - All of it!!! :D
Trudi Canavan - Black Magician Trilogy
Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth Series (though after the 4th book, it starts to get to be a pain)
Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials Series

Sci-Fi
Ursula Le Guin - The Dispossessed
Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man
Joe Haldeman - The Forever War

That's all I can think of for now... But just wait until rune gets here... There is one dedicated reader who makes the rest of us look like amateurs and will blow your mind with recommendations and suggestions!!! :D Prepare for information OVERLOAD!!! +++DANGER+++ ;)

You're 29? No offence, but expand your reading horizons. Seriously.I would recommend Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen". Starts with "Gardens of the Moon". Epic fantasy in it's truest form. Not really much romance, and no elves, but everything else you could ask for.

no elf, but wizards, adventure, romance and part of a serie ?
Try The Black company by Glen Cook, not your usual fantasy book but worth the read. NB: there's elves in his Garett serie but as I've just started it, I can't yet reccommend it.

The Master™ said:
That's all I can think of for now... But just wait until rune gets here... There is one dedicated reader who makes the rest of us look like amateurs and will blow your mind with recommendations and suggestions!!! :D Prepare for information OVERLOAD!!! +++DANGER+++ ;)
Thanks for the vote of confidence :D . I admit I am a terrible addict of fantasy reading and of horror/fantasy mix which gets described as Dark Fantasy (and getting a reputation too by the sounds :D :D :D )

Well SilentEagle, I'll give you recommendations of series I like or liked depending on if I've finished them :)

Completed Series -

Banned and the Bannished - by James Clemens - all the books published. Has elves, some imagitive magic, interesting (quite different characters). It follows a young girl who develops witch magic. Dont be fooled into thinking it may be immature, this is very gritty at times.

Tales of the Otori - by Lian Hearn - all the books are published. This is a YA's series but quite mature. I've only read the first book but have heard good things about all three. It's a series that follows a young man that has strange abilities. A Oriental feel to the plot too, plenty of sword fights and mystery.

Deverry Series - By Katharine Kerr - all the books are published. Quite an old series but still very good. There are elves in this series too and interesting magical use. Quite complex at times as there are numerous life times progressing through the plotline. One of the greats I would say.

Isavalta Trilogy - Sarah Zettel - all the books published. This is a series not many mention, but it's very good. A well developed world, good magical use with sorcerers. A bit of political intrigue here but not too much that spoils the plot (you'll learn I dont like politics in fantasy :) ). I thought this world was very different from anything I had read and quite imagative. A liked some of the strange creatures Zettel created.

Keeper Chronicles - Tanya Huff - all the books are published. This is mystery, magic and bags of humour. You'll laugh your socks off at this and get drawn into the mystery too. It's based on gifted Keepers who practice magic in every day world, and have constant battles with keeping the balance between good and evil. Some good characters, interesting twists on well known myths and mythical creatures. And the talking cats are hiliarious

Riftwar Saga - Raymond Fiest - all the books are published. I am sure lots of members will mention this series. It's got magic, wizards, strange creatures, wars. A brilliant series, and another of the older greats. I personally think Fiest wrote his best with this and hasnt done anything as well since.

Shannara - Terry Brooks - lots of different shannara series, each following different members of a long line of elves and characters. Some will question why I recommend this series. But for me it has everything :D You'll either love it or hate it.

The Black Jewels - Anne Bishop - this is a dark fantasy series, and all the books are published. I personally love this series. It's got romance, but with a dark twist. It's got magic, but with a twisted edge and there are some interesting characters and creatures. There's humour, there's misery and there's even close to the bone scenes.

The Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy - Robin Hobb - all the books for both series are published. Someone has already mentioned these, and I can 2nd that recommendation. The Tawny Man trilogy is better I feel than The Farseer trilogy. But you need to read Farseer Trilogy first to be able to understand the Tawny Man :D It's a series about a boy who finds he can bond with animals and his relationship with his wolf is just brilliant. It's touching, exciting and imagative.

The Word - Terry Brooks - all books published. Not many people mention this series, but I think it's pretty good. A dark fantasy, with battles between knights of the word against hell. Strange magic, unusual creatures and a witch called Fern smack in middle of it all :D

Prosperos Children - Jan Siegel - all books published. Not many members mention this author, but I think she is very good. This series is about a witch who comes into her powers at a young age and draws the unwanted attention from the fey world (some pretty unsavoury characters). Lots of magic, choas, unusual characters, even a dragon in one book :)

Series - ongoing

Dresden Files - Jim Butcher - there are few books already published for this series and I think each one betters the previous. It's a about a wizard called Harry Dresden who lives in the US and is the only practicing wizard among normal folks. Loads of mystery, plenty of humour, tense scenes, imagative magic, unusual creatures. I love it and have made a conscious effort to introduce a few members to this brilliant series :D

Harry Potter - J K Rowling - I dont suppose there is much I can say about this series, it's so well know. I think the first two books you may find quite young. However, by book three the series matures, the writing is better and the plotline is much more interesting.

Merry Gentry - Laurell K Hamilton - 3 books released so far. I've found the only members that read this series are fans of her Anita Blake vampire series. Personally I think this is better, (though I do like Anita Blake :) ) It focuses on the Fey Courts, so lots of unusual fey creatures and the main characters are Sidhe. A dark fantasy I would say, there is also a bit of sex in the plot, but it fits in well with the characters.

New Crobuzon - China Mieville - 3 books published so far. I can't rave on enough about this author. He has a visual writing style that I've never seen any other author surpass. His imagation will blow you away, it's astonishing. I will say though his worlds are very complex, but if you can stick with his books they are like nothing else you've probably read before. Forget elves, wizards etc. The creatures this author has created are very unique and some of his character's are fasinating. He touches on all kinds of subjects and some can make you cringe. The books are wonderful. He tends to write across genres so there is fantasy, sci-fi and horror in this series :)

The Barimaeus Trilogy - Jonathan Stroud - two books released so far. I've only read the first book, got the 2nd on my shelves. The first book introduces a young boy, who is learning to be a wizard. Now first thing will be Harry Potter, but this is nothing like that series. The lad gets knee deep in trouble and calls up Barimaeus (a demon) to help him. It's funny, it's tense, there's action. A very good first book and I've heard the 2nd is just as good.

The Braided Path - Chris Wooding - two books released so far. This series has an oriental feel to it, especially the world. I've read the first book which introduces us to a seedy world run by crazy Weavers who control the birth of gifted people. These gifts can vary from each person, and the first book follows a girl who can start fires. Her family is killed to get to her and she's on the run trying to outwit the Weavers. A very well created world, interesting and refreshing magic. This author is best known for his YA books, but this series isn't a YA series, it's dark and twisted at times with some great pieces of excitement.

The Last Rune - Mark Anthony - all books published. I've only got the first 5 books and have been putting off buying the last because I just dont want this series to end :D . This has wizards, dragons, witches, sorcerers, strange creatures. Battles between good and evil. It affects our world and another world that links to ours. The plot moves from each world and even back in time during one book. Very well written, brilliant characters. I got totally sucked into this series. Again not mentioned alot, but well worth reading.

The Tears of Artamon - Sarah Ash - two books published so far. The first book introduces a young man who finds out his father was dragon lord. He inherits the afliction and the plot follows his battle to deal with a war between his fathers people and another race, as well has try and keep his sanity and soul from the dragon element of his character :D A few members have raved about this series. I've still got bk 2 to read but have heard it's better than the first.

Women of the Otherworld - Kelley Armstrong - 4 books published so far. I discovered this series last year. I would say it's a dark fantasy series, especially the first two books. By book 3 it gets more fantasy based. The series first follows a young woman who is a werewolf. Dont be put off by the theme, it's witty, tense, dark, and intense. Very well written and enthrawling. Book 2 starts introducing witches, sorcerers, half human/demons and vampires so it gets pretty interesting. I'm half way through bk 3, it's focusing on a witche's battle against a Sorcerer group and I can't put it down :D

Stand Alones -

King Rat - China Mieville - an interesting twist on the Pipe Piper tale. It's grimy, humourous and very different.

War For The Oaks - Emma Bull - a young girl gets pulled into a war between the fey courts. A good entertaining book, not heavy going either.

Once - James Herbert - not many people mention this book, but I very much enjoyed it. It's a dark fantasy, some sexual nature to the plotline. A man returns to his roots after a bad accident and rediscovers the fairies folk that he'd forgotten about that live in the lands near his home. There's all kinds of creatures in this book, twisted magic too. A good read.

Children of the Shaman and The Glass Mountain - Jessica Rydill - these two books are to be read together. Children of the Shaman first, it introduces two siblings that have to go live with their astrange Shaman father. He is on a job to find out why villagers are being killed and they all get drawn into a battle to save their world against an evil invading race. Published as YA books but quite mature and very well written.

Snare - Katharine Kerr - this has an arabic feel to the world. It's well written, good characters, not the run of the mill creatures and a nice twist to the ending.

The War of the Flowers - Tad Williams - I personally think this is one of William's best books of late. It focuses on a young man who is hunted by the Fairies world and gets drawn into the War of the Flowers (the Flowers being Fairie families). Lots of colourful creatures and characters. Very visual world, diffent but familiar. Good fun too.

There are few others that I quite good, but these are my favourites. And before you ask, No I dont have a life :D :D :D

posted by RUNE:

The Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy - Robin Hobb - all the books for both series are published. Someone has already mentioned these, and I can 2nd that recommendation. The Tawny Man trilogy is better I feel than The Farseer trilogy. But you need to read Farseer Trilogy first to be able to understand the Tawny Man :D It's a series about a boy who finds he can bond with animals and his relationship with his wolf is just brilliant. It's touching, exciting and imagative.

i believe you forgot the Liveship Traders... I know that most ppl think that The Tawny Man is the finish of the Farseer series but if you dont read The Liveship Traders in between the two (as the order they were written) you won't FULLY understand the whole story. Plus I felt The Liveship Traders to be actually better than the Farseer series... she just gets better as she goes.

I love these topics b/c it's great for me to look at other suggestions too! :) But I would second reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, the first book is Wizard's First Rule and to me was absolutely amazing. For easier reads I would also suggest anything by Robin Hobb or Raymond Feist because each has a variety of books/series out there to enjoy.

And Rune, that must've taken you all morning to write and summarize, lol.

I would agree that the first in Terry Goodkind's series is good but he is definitely an author who doesnt know how or when to finish his series. As for easy reading... LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy would be far easier than Hobb. Hobb would not be light reading if you read all nine books... and I have to say that you CAN actually read ALL nine books and still be happy unlike the Goodkind series. Sort of like with Jordan... you start the series... but by book nine its like WTF. Not so with Hobb. GRRM... there's a good author too!

i would NOT recommend goodlkind as your first exposure to fantasy. his novels are fairly cliche and i personally was not a fan when i picked up his first novel.

robin hobb is excellent. even if you don't get through the entire series, her first novel "assasin's apprentice" has enough closure at the end to be satisfying. i personally feel however that her liveship traders series is her best. i would, of course, recommend reading her novels in the order they were written to get the full experience of the all encompassing story arch.

george r.r. martin is also great, but his books are long and he has yet to put out the 4th. none of the first three provide much closure so you're left with a cliff hanger unresolved.

one nice, long, wonderful book is mists of avalon by marion zimmer bradley. it's an arthurian story told from the perspective of women. an excellent novel that i would recommend to all readers.

keep in mind that authors that shy away from the tolkein races generally are the more creative of the fantasy genre and may i say the more interesting. i always enjoy more when someone can come up with a really innovative idea in the world of magic.

WoW, what a list there, Rune. Like Neon said, that must of taken awhile to put together. Now to decide on which book or series to begin with. Well anyways thanks everyone for your posts.

~SilentEagle

In addition to rune's nice little list there, and the other members' suggestions, you can add another older series by Katherine Kerr, The Deryni tales. Each book is smallish and well written so it is an easy series to read, might be a good starting point instead of tackling some of the larger and more in-depth series.

Happy reading!

When you have had enough of traditional fantasy, I'd suggest that you give "Last Call", by Tim Powers, a try. It is urban fantasy, which means it takes place in more or less the present day, but pulls its themes from mythology and legend, including the legend of the Fisher King. Then, when you've read that, read his "Expiration Date", which will not seem like it has anything to do with "Last Call". Then, after that, read "Earthquake Weather", which pulls the first two books together and completes the trilogy.

Just my two cents' worth.:)

Actually, the Deryni books are by Katherine Kurtz, not Katharine Kerr, author of the Deverry books. Easy to get the names confused, I grant, especially as both series are Celtic inspired fantasy -- though in my opinion Katharine Kerr is a much better writer.

(Not that I am totally unbiased, since Kit Kerr was kind enough to write a blurb for my book. )

Kelpie said:
Actually, the Deryni books are by Katherine Kurtz, not Katharine Kerr, author of the Deverry books. Easy to get the names confused, I grant, especially as both series are Celtic inspired fantasy -- though in my opinion Katharine Kerr is a much better writer.

(Not that I am totally unbiased, since Kit Kerr was kind enough to write a blurb for my book. )
Sorry 'bout that. I'd just gotten off of a 12-hour shift at work and it was late and I was tired. Thanks for the correction :)

Neon said:
I love these topics b/c it's great for me to look at other suggestions too! :) But I would second reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, the first book is Wizard's First Rule and to me was absolutely amazing. For easier reads I would also suggest anything by Robin Hobb or Raymond Feist because each has a variety of books/series out there to enjoy.

And Rune, that must've taken you all morning to write and summarize, lol.
It was time well spend :D

I didnt recommend Sword of Truth series becaues of the fact the first few books are quite good but then I found Goodkind really started to ramble :confused: It's a shame really because Book 1 to 4 are very good, and Wizard's First Rule is probably one of my big favourites.

hodor said:
posted by RUNE:

i believe you forgot the Liveship Traders... I know that most ppl think that The Tawny Man is the finish of the Farseer series but if you dont read The Liveship Traders in between the two (as the order they were written) you won't FULLY understand the whole story. Plus I felt The Liveship Traders to be actually better than the Farseer series... she just gets better as she goes.
I only read one book in the Liveship Traders series and it didnt appeal to me. I didnt feel I missed out much by going onto the Tawny Man trilogy and could follow that last trilogy quite easily.

Back