Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls
The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
The Witches of Chiswick,
and
The Dance of the Voodoo Handbag

Most intriguing titles, indeed!:D

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin

I really want to read the Forest book by Le Guin. The moment I saw the title I was immediately drawn to the book and wanted to read it. The same thing with the Moon one.

Man Plus (Frederick Pohl), simple yet apt.

The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas (Ursula K Le Guin) gives a really nice imagery that nicely sums up the story's central theme.

Was just about to post some Robert Rankin titles but others were quicker =) I'll just add that Nostradamus ate my hamster along with They came and ate us - Armageddon II: the b-movie are probably my favorite comical book titles of all time :) As for more serious titles And Eternity by Piers Anthony and Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds both look and sound good I think. Short and a bit mysterious, good stuff :)

David Langford's The Dragonhiker's Guide to Battlefield Covenant at Dune's Edge: Odyssey Two. Admittedly, it's a collection of pastiches...

not science fiction/fantasy

but

the mysterious edge of the heroic world by e.l.konigsburg

she won a newbery award for her first book in 1968, and a second in 1997...fascinating woman

Flow My Tears the Policeman Said
Now Wait for Last Year
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Tiger ! Tiger !
The Phoenix on the Sword

The Scarlet Citadel
The Tower of the Elephant
Jewels of Gwahlur
The God in the Bowl
Wolf in Shadow
Sword in the Storm
Damnation Alley
The Drawing of The Dark
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
So Long , and Thanks for All the Fish
The Dying Earth
Cugel's Saga
Emphyrio
The Big Sleep
The Deep Blue Good-By
The Moving Target
The Killer inside Me
The Man with the Getaway Face
The Hunter

I have been drawn to a few books based entirely on their titles I suppose...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett
You Don't Have to be Evil to Work Here But It Helps - Tom Holt
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse
View from a Bouncy Castle - Adrian Plass

Of course having read these authors once, any decision to read another of their books was no longer based entirely on the titles :)

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul - by author who has already been mentioned :D
All Flesh Is Grass and They Walked Like Men - by Simak, which meaning becomes very clear at the end
Some of Asprin MYTH books - Myh-nomers and Im-Perfections and Sweet Myth or the Mythery of Life
Also I like the names of Glen Cook P.I.Garret books - although they make it really easy to forget which book is talking about what :eek:

The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect by Roger Williams

Stumbled on this five years back when I was browsing the net and read halfway through it (I found it hard to read; he goes overboard with violence and sexual content, aside from that its really good). It is about singularity; machines becoming vastly more intelligent so much so that humans become obsolete...here I'm quoting from the "Jacket copy":

"Lawrence had ordained that Prime Intellect could not, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. But he had not realized how much harm his super-intelligent creation could perceive, or what kind of action might be necessary to prevent it. Caroline has been pulled from her deathbed into a brave new immortal Paradise where she can have anything she wants, except the sense that her life has meaning.
Now these two souls are headed for a confrontation which will force them to weigh matters of life and death before a machine that can remake -- or destroy -- the entire Universe."

Have any of you SF Geeks here read this? what do you think? I don't think its published in paperback format (too graphic perhaps? not because he lacks talent, I'm pretty sure on that...), nevertheless its its been done so online... and you can read it for free :) (I'm thinking of giving it another shot myself), here's the link: The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect

Cheer's, DeepThought

Last edited:
Had to move books so floor could be redone. What a mess. Here are some of the titles I like.

The Sowers of the Thunder by Robert E Howard
The City of the Singing Flame by Clark Ashton Smith
The Sundering Flood by William Morris
Child from an Ancient City by Tad Williams & Nina Kiriki Hoffman
The Thief of Always by Clive Barker
Prayers to Broken Stones by Dan Simmons
Lovedeath by Dan Simmons
And Afterwards, The Dark by Basil Copper
Mirrormask by Neil Gaiman
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The Warhound and the World's Pain by Michael Moorcock
The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray - Chris Wooding
Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury

I like:

45 & 47 Stella Street and Everything That Happened - Elizabeth Honey
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon

Everyone should read these books, even though they are written mainly for young adult audiences. Elizabeth Honey is an Australian author and her books are full of that wholesome, innocent joy that children have. Mark Haddon's book is an amazing book written from the perspective of an autistic boy, that is so much more than an investigation of a dog that died one night.

Time Patrol- Poul Anderson
Ender's Game- Orson Scott Card

These titles just engulf me; just by reading these titles it so makes we want to pick up the book and read more. Of course, I include my own book title: Enemies Among Us

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrmobie
The Book of Joby by Mark J. Ferrari
All of the titles in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin
The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

Tomorrow when the War Began
The Dead of the Night
The Third Day, The Frost
Darkness Be My Friend
Burning for Revenge
The Night is for Hunting
The Other Side of Dawn
All by John Marsden. The underlined ones are the ones I think are the best.

The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory
Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn
Last tale of the Otori by Lian Hearn
Freak The Mighty by W Rodman Philbrick

The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Murakami
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
A Wild Sheep Chase

In fact I used to think a number of Murakami's titles seem strange because they were translated from Japanese, but I gather Murakami speaks good English, so he knows what he's doing.