One book to get started

For something modern (relatively speaking) - Consider Phlebas, Iain M. Banks
i'll second deepthought on this. Banks is a great place to start. Phlebas, or Player of Games.

my sf-lit introduction came through an inherited batch of EE Doc Smith Lensman books - cheesy and older than my dad, yes, but ripping yarns nonetheless.

I think its the opposite. People need something timeless,with broad appeal to become SFF fans. Hamilton's 1000 page SF isnt something a newbie should read.

Not saying there are current ones are timeless,broad appeal. They dont have the rep classic works of SF has

It depends. Peter F. Hamilton's The Reality Dysfunction is now considered something of a classic: it's been out for nearly thirteen years, it's absolutely festooned with reccomendations (there's three or four pages of rave reviews in the front cover, including from authors like Iain Banks, Colin Greenland, Stephen Baxter, Gregory Benford and David Langford) and it's jam-packed with great ideas set in an imaginative and colourful universe with a page-turning plot told extremely well. I'd recommend it to a newbie without a problem. It may be 1,200 pages long in paperback but those pages will fly past a lot quicker than books half its size. Hamilton is simply a damn fine storyteller, which in SF is rarer than in fantasy.

So that would be my reccomendation, especially if you like things like Battlestar Galactica. For other types of SF, Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon is well-recommended for cyberpunk-style detective fiction and Christopher Priest's The Prestige is an excellent example of character-driven SF set in the past.

See, the problem is that I don't really know what I'm looking for. I agree with the poster that suggested staying clear of TV show tie-ins, I know enough about literature to know that I really need to read 'proper' books!

I mentioned the BSG tie-in because I love the whole man / machine angle, and the blurring of the lines between humans and cylons. There are also lots of religious and spiritual overtones about the meaning of existence, God and origins. Does that help at all? (Probably not...)

Sorry, I didn't realise this thread had a second page ;) Yes, that helps. Hamilton or an Alastair Reynolds would be my recommendation. For Reynolds I'd probably suggest Galactic North, a short story collection which shows many of the different aspects of his universe, including his interest in what makes a human human, and where the human factor ends when cybernetic implants are introduced. His main Revelation Space series of novels also brings in a purely mechanical race who aren't tremendously well-disposed towards humanity and the reasons for it are intriguing once they emerge in the second and third volumes.

He did say he was "reasonably intelligent" :)

...And presumably is therefore able to make his own mind up regarding what's well written and what isn't. Having read Dune originally in my teens and twice since, I disagree strongly about it not being well written.

Also, Ian, Revelation Space is one of the last books I would steer anyone new to Sf towards, much as I love it... too much like throwing someone in at the deep end.

I would be tempted to recommend 'timeless classics' as has been suggested previously, and let people find their way from there -- Flowers for Algenon, Simak's Way Station or City, Clarkes' Rendezvous with Rama or Fountains of Paradise...

Since Paul has moved across from more visual SF, perhaps, for something a little more recent, Bujold's Vorkosigan books, Weber's Honor Harrington books, Cherryh's Chanur series or Haldeman's Forever War...

Still, wouldn't SF be boring if we all agreed with each other? :)

I'm just getting my wife (a confirmed Tolkien, Pratchett, Stephen King reader) onto some of my sci fi books. (Then perhaps she won't mind me picking so many second hand books up....!!)
The first book I got her onto was " I AM LEGEND" by Richard Matheson (kind of crossover)
Now I have her reading "FOUNDATION" by Asimov (gentle intro to spaceships, gadgets, concepts etc.)

For you I would recommend in order:
1984 by George Orwell assuming you haven't already read the "classics" that cross into sci fi
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester, timeless tale in a sci fi setting
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card, excellent all round, will be considered a classic for sure.

There is sooo much out there to discover. You WILL find stuff you like. Have a great time discovering it.

Christopher Priest's The Prestige is an excellent example of character-driven SF set in the past.

I've just finished reading "THE SEPARATION" by Mr Priest. How bloody good was that? I was still thinking about what it "meant" a week later. Really top notch writing.
As it was the first of his work I'd read I saw info about "THE PRESTIGE" on his website. I watched the movie over the weekend and it was one of the best films that I've seen for a long, long time.

*Spoliler*
Obviously he has a thing about doubles and twins, seems to be a major theme of his throughout his work..??
Considering that, is it worth reading other works, or am I now in possession of too much insight?

...And presumably is therefore able to make his own mind up regarding what's well written and what isn't. Having read Dune originally in my teens and twice since, I disagree strongly about it not being well written.

Pfft. I've read it more times than that. And most recently only last year. And I still think the writing in it is mostly bad :)

Also, Ian, Revelation Space is one of the last books I would steer anyone new to Sf towards, much as I love it... too much like throwing someone in at the deep end.

As his first novel it's a good intro to his universe. I don't think it's difficult or a hard read - especially not to someone predisposed to liking sf.

Since Paul has moved across from more visual SF, perhaps, for something a little more recent, Bujold's Vorkosigan books, Weber's Honor Harrington books, Cherryh's Chanur series or Haldeman's Forever War...

No, not Harrington. Please.

Still, wouldn't SF be boring if we all agreed with each other? :)

This forum would certainly see a lot fewer posts...

See, the problem is that I don't really know what I'm looking for. I agree with the poster that suggested staying clear of TV show tie-ins, I know enough about literature to know that I really need to read 'proper' books!

As for what I read now, I actually don't read novels much - I do read a lot of books connected with my job. I'm also currently doing a part-time MA. The point being that reading a supposedly 'deep' book doesn't really faze me because (with bragging) I'm reasonably intelligent. So, there's no need to 'wean me' with books that are written for children ;)

In that case, the ones I suggested certainly should fit (as should many of the other suggestions here). Each of these has been read and praised by those outside the sf fan base, as well as those within (each of them has won awards within the community, for instance); each has been viewed as a worthy contribution to general literature, for that matter.

As for the religious element, either A Canticle for Leibowitz (Walter M. Miller, Jr.) or A Case of Conscience (James Blish) would fit the bill -- both are quite intelligent examinations of fundamental religious issues, and both -- though coming from quite different camps -- treat the entire idea with respect as well.

Flowers for Algernon (Daniel Keyes) has proven quite popular with both readers of "mainstream" and sf, which is one of the reasons I suggested it. It's a beautifully written novel (one can say the same for the original short story as well), with a great deal of depth both emotionally and intellectually. I'm rather dubious of the idea of not suggesting a book because it doesn't fir the stereotyped preconception of sf, if for no other reason than a great many of the best books in the field step far outside that straitjacket. It is sf, but not space-based nor techno-based. It takes one extrapolation of (medical) science and explores its effect on an individual and those surrounding him. A very poignant book, all told.

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang is a bit difficult to sum up, save that it tackles (or rather, tackled, as it was published in the 1970s) many of the major issues we're faced with today, and does so with both grace and style. Kate Wilhelm is an exemplary writer in many ways, and this book has also long since transcended the genre itself.

As for the Dozois anthologies -- I merely suggest them as a single-volume concentration of a wide variety of newer material. The same with the Hartwell (though it must be admitted the Dozois volumes contain much, much more).

As far as the futuristic, space-based (as well as having a fair amount take place on Terra), but intelligent adventure novel full of ideas, I'd agree wholeheartedly with The Stars My Destination (Alfred Bester). A pyrotechnic performance, but one which has remained a classic since its first publication. Then again, I'd also suggest several of John Wyndham's books as well....

Pfft. I've read it more times than that. And most recently only last year. And I still think the writing in it is mostly bad :).

Someone has to say this: Then why do you keep reading it?

I agree with what Connavar said, as it appears you prefer more modern styles to what went before. That does not mean that the writing is "bad". I can recognize good writing, but not necessarily like the style. Personal preference should be above that kind of black or white categorization. I think that everyone can agree that Dune and Foundation are classics of SF that are worthy of any SF reader's perusal, to see where the genre was in the 1960s and where it has come from.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Robot books (never mention the I, Robot movie, please. It was horrid. Just horrid), which of course later tie in to Foundation. Daneel Olivaw has to be one of the most interesting android characters ever invented in SF. And the whole Spacer vs. Earth thing was brilliant, and is a theme that has been echoed in SF ever since. Also, they are just plainly a fun read, along with the Foundation books. This fits in with the man vs. machine that Paul said interests him. I suggest Asimov's Robot series, starting with the short stories contained in I, Robot (which is so dramatically different from the movie that they should not have shared the same name).

Simmons' Hyperion/Endymion is a personal favourite of mine, but it is heavy going at times for the newbie. An intelligent newbie would have an advantage.:)

Read up a bit on the different types of SF and it might be easier for you to decide on what kind you would like to start with and ergo easier for us to give you recommendations. :)

Here, check it out at wikipedia.

Someone has to say this: Then why do you keep reading it?

Because the universe Herbert created overshadows any flaws in the prose. And because I first read the book when I was about 13, and I always feel like that 13-year-old when I read it.

I agree with what Connavar said, as it appears you prefer more modern styles to what went before. That does not mean that the writing is "bad". I can recognize good writing, but not necessarily like the style. Personal preference should be above that kind of black or white categorization. I think that everyone can agree that Dune and Foundation are classics of SF that are worthy of any SF reader's perusal, to see where the genre was in the 1960s and where it has come from.

Er, no. I prefer good writing to bad. The age of the book has nothing to do with it. One of my favourite non-genre novels is Lawrence's Durrell's The Alexandria Quartet, published between 1957 and 1960. Asimov's writing is just plain bad, and Herbert's writing is much better in The Green Brain (which predates Dune) and The Santaroga Barrier.

Simmons' Hyperion/Endymion is a personal favourite of mine, but it is heavy going at times for the newbie. An intelligent newbie would have an advantage.:)

Had you read Canterbury Tales prior to reading Hyperion? Did not having read it spoil your enjoyment of the book? What about all the references in it to Keats' poetry? See, if you can read a sf novel and miss all the literary references and inspirations, why can't someone else read it without prior knowledge of the sf references and inspirations?

Er, no. I prefer good writing to bad. The age of the book has nothing to do with it. One of my favourite non-genre novels is Lawrence's Durrell's The Alexandria Quartet, published between 1957 and 1960. Asimov's writing is just plain bad, and Herbert's writing is much better in The Green Brain (which predates Dune) and The Santaroga Barrier.

Agree with you entirely about The Alexandria Quartet, Ian; wonderful, wonderful stuff, and The Santaroga Barrier has always been one of my favourite Herberts... But I guess we'll have to agree to differ about the standard of writing in Dune.

Because the universe Herbert created overshadows any flaws in the prose. And because I first read the book when I was about 13, and I always feel like that 13-year-old when I read it.

And so you can stay up to speed so you dont get nailed at any of the Dune forums we visit, right? :p

Greenslaves predates Dune. The Green Brain does not.

Flowers for Algernon is fantastic. a writing style that really takes the reader on a journey and leaves an indelible impression at the end.

I have it in the collection The Hugo Winners edited by Azimov

so that book, although quite old, would be my recommendation to a fellow Brit.
I would also recommend keeping an eye out for repeats of The Outer Limits on the TV as that is much closer to classic SF

As others have said, pretty hard to give you "the one book". I'll give you one I wish I'd started with (SF now, not Fantasy):

Firestar, by Michael Flynn.

Relatively realistic SF that occurs in a very near future setting, and while it continues as a series, each book is a story in its own right. Just my opinion, and lord knows I lean more to fantasy most of the time.

My personal bias, as all here will know, is for The Stars, My Destination by Alfred Bester, otherwise know as Tiger! Tiger! It's a short read and has elements of a good adventure yarn. It's dated, but still good nonetheless. Dune is a great book, but has layers to it that may make it difficult as a first read. So far as more contemporary works are concerned, I would recommend Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks. It is simply a good SF yarn. Revelation Space is a good book, but it suffers the problem of a lot of SF in that the action gets a bit convoluted and at times hard to follow.

So much for avoiding a huge long list.

I can add my name to recommendations of Dune and Consider Phlebas.

As well as that, I suggest Neal Asher's The Skinner - some nice kick-ass sci-fi with an awesome storyline and concepts that is nonetheless not too complex to follow.