Awaiting Dragon Age

it definitely is looking Very Good.
Looks like a successor to KotOR and Baldur's Gate mixed with a Neverwinter Nights style of play.
A little concerned by the limitations that player Origins may place on your character. especially during character creation.
though the character customization tools should be awesome considering how good Mass Effects were and this is meant to use Bioware's best character creation and customisation tools ever.

Yes I have been following the game for years now so having it this close to release is exciting to say the least! :)

My favorite games are always from Bioware and I can not see any way they will dissappoint me with this one. Though the latest expansion for NWN2, Storm of Zehir I have to say I did not like it at all. So I hope none of what they did there makes it into Dragon Age.

David Gaider is the lead writer for the game/story of Dragon Age Origins as well :)

have to agree Rahl... Bioware (and by extension Obsidian- since most of the people there are ex-Bioware - KotOR 2 is my favourite game of all time, alongside Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall and Baldur's Gate 2) always make great games. I can't think of one that i've not loved.
I found Storm of Zehir very interesting. It was certainly VERY different to the rest of the neverwinter nights installments. I enjoyed the story, though i found it lacked that compelling desire to win through that other NWNs stories presented - particularly Mask of the Betrayer and the NWN2 main storyline.

Supposedly on this one they don't have the strictures they had on the others, so it will be very interesting and hopefully very enjoyable to see what they come up with.

me too.
definitely approving of the whole inter-party politics thing, that i have always enjoyed, which Bioware is promising. this would have to be one of the strengths of Bioware's RPGs - very few other RPGs have any inter-party interactions... and most that do are scripted a'la final fantasy.

Party interaction is a great part of their games, brings things alive. While Oblivion was pretty and fun to explore I didn't stay long, because it felt empty.

Bioware's games hardly ever feel empty, the party interaction and character interactions from romance to hatred bring their worlds alive, even without being able to explore like you can in the Elder scrolls games.

I'm really interested in the "origins" aspects of it. I think it will make a better and more enjoyable game. You have to admit that shoehorning any old character in the role they've laid out for your rise to heroism would be weak, so I'm glad they've provided a good and plausible path for several character archetypes rather than just place you in a single role at the start like BG did.

definitely a plus tsw. warrior, rogue, mage... human, elf, dwarf... peasant, noble (or forest, city for elves)... certainly gives a fairly wide variety of options for replay value alone... not to mention immersion into the role...
though i do enjoy taking on a psecific role at times. things like BG and NWN 2 where your role is there, but you get to tailor it to your style and class is great. The Witcher style where you are a specific Character can get boring (much as the witcher is an incredible game, it suffers from having to be Geralt of Rivia alone), whilst the story may be engaging, i often find myself plodding through to get to the next revelation rather than enjoying the character.

I agree, I much prefer creating my own character instead of playing a set one. I can get into the game more that way.

The origins stories are looking much more interesting and it looks like they are probably releasing a builders kit so that we can again have player made modules like NWN and others.

cool. this game is top of my must have list...even beating out Star Wars The Old Republic

Not seen this thread before but learnt about this game a few weeks ago.

It looks absolutely fantastic. I really hope it lives up to expectations.

If you haven't checked out their site recently give it a look again. They have completely redone it! I like it. They are also on twitter and they seem to be setting up a tabletop counterpart to their pc rpg.

Anybody read the prequel novel?

I am currently waiting impatiently for the system reqs, but they have not listed those on their site yet. They do have a lot of trailers and new info. I am seriously thinking of pre-ordering so I can get the in game items, I don't normally do that and I am not really sure if I will do that with this one, although the chances are getting better everytime they release new info about it!

I'd be getting it for the PS3 rather than PC, but I'm also considering pre-ordering. Had a browse of the prequel novel but it was £9 for a paperback which is pretty steep.

Not sure if the pre-ordering in-game items can be acquired in the UK.

i've learned my lesson regarding RPGs on PS3 vs PC... PS3 does them well (mostly - Fallout 3's worst version was the PS3 one) but the downloadable content for PC games just gives them so much more versatility - especially re: customisation and mods.

I've got a terrible history with PCs deciding to break or so on, and it's not in my bedroom so it's less convenient. The versatility would be nice but not a deal-breaker for me. I just hope Dragon Age isn't delayed, its release date is quite close to my birthday :)

Systme requirements keep going up for games - it a pain that with more 3D and graphics we get the more we have to upgade whilst often game content is not much beyond, or often less than it was for older games. (has any RPG managed to challenge Baldur's Gate 2 yet?)

I will wait and see for this game - sadly EA are in charge in part and they are renound for having not only poor beta testing of games but also for having poor to no post release support for the game. Even Spore - which was to be the big change in things and one of the fewer EA games to be released late - was a total flop once you started playing and now the latest expansion is looking like a 3rd person runaround game...

I will wait and see for this game - I have been spiked too many times in the past by EA released games.