The Hunger Games **spoilers for Catching Fire and Mockingjay**

I don't think it's saying anything very profound about us or our society. I can't believe the premise of watching kids kill each other on TV, as set up in the book, could ever come to exist. I can just about see us sliding to that point if the audience was encouraged to support one contestant and the other was thoroughly dehumanised, but in this case they are all presented to the audience at their best advantage. This would humanise them too much. If society really degenerated to the point where its members would then be happy to watch the contestants kill each other, I don't think it would have survived.

I'm not so sure - Kids fighting in a cage in front of baying adults is happening now. Give it a few more years and prehaps our perception of what is 'real' may in fact lead to something like this. 12 year old gymnasts compete in front of huge audiences where one slip can break their careers before they hit puberty in some cases. Mix it up with some branding and a bit of sponsorship, give a face to love, but remember that it becomes tribal with the fact that districts are either gaining or losing out with victory or defeat and bingo, you've got the future. Or at least, one possible dark future.

the sequels aren't as great (katniss turns whiny), but they're still good reads. And the original is just absolutely fantastic.

haven't read the other comments on here, because i'm currently working my way thru the 3rd book and am worried about spoilers.

but so far, it's been a fantastic read! i thought it was a trilogy, tho? i kno the movie is coming out soon, which i'm def going to see. =D

With the movie coming out, I decided to read the book and see what it was all about.

Yesterday morning, I started reading and was immediately apprehensive about the first-person present tense. I flipped to a few random spots in the book to see if it was all going to be that way, and it was. I had to go to work, but I went back to it at lunch. I stayed up way too late last night, and this evening I just finished the book. It's going to have to be one heck of a movie! :D

It's interesting, though, how there is no detail whatsoever about the technology that makes it all work. If this had been my story idea, I would have been utterly paralyzed trying to figure out how they do the arena and the cameras can pick up every moment, and how they manage to drop the gifts so precisely. I would have given up on the story entirely at that point. The author manages to convey a whole world of technology without ever explaining anything more than a feeling of "it's there, trust me" -- and I don't feel shortchanged. That's definitely something!

I don't think we're that far away (psychologically, not time-wise) from this scenario. Experiments prove that people are willing to deliver supposedly lethal electrical shocks to other people just because a guy in a lab coat tells them to; people of all ages will stand by and let others get beaten to death rather than intervene; just last year, hundreds of people stood on the beach and watched a man drown himself in the ocean, and even the first responders who were present refused to go in and save him in neck-deep water because they "weren't trained" in that sort of rescue. Sure, there are miracles of heroism every day -- but there are also hideous examples of man's inhumanity to man. Package it as reality TV, and people wouldn't blink an eye. And if the general population stood to suffer punishment if they didn't go along with it, as in the book, or gain great rewards if their representative won, well, bring on the bookies.

I hope the sequels are as good -- but now I'm not holding out hope.

My 17 year old daughter staged a personal protest when all of her friends were going to see the opening of Hunger Games, the movie. She stayed home and indulged in a marathon re-read of the Twilight books.

She said something along the lines of "I refuse to be pressured into this hype of tripe."

I'm not sure what that means. Probably just a chip off the Jaundiced Eye.

With the movie coming out, I decided to read the book and see what it was all about.

Yesterday morning, I started reading and was immediately apprehensive about the first-person present tense. I flipped to a few random spots in the book to see if it was all going to be that way, and it was. I had to go to work, but I went back to it at lunch. I stayed up way too late last night, and this evening I just finished the book. It's going to have to be one heck of a movie! :D

It's interesting, though, how there is no detail whatsoever about the technology that makes it all work. If this had been my story idea, I would have been utterly paralyzed trying to figure out how they do the arena and the cameras can pick up every moment, and how they manage to drop the gifts so precisely. I would have given up on the story entirely at that point. The author manages to convey a whole world of technology without ever explaining anything more than a feeling of "it's there, trust me" -- and I don't feel shortchanged. That's definitely something!

I don't think we're that far away (psychologically, not time-wise) from this scenario. Experiments prove that people are willing to deliver supposedly lethal electrical shocks to other people just because a guy in a lab coat tells them to; people of all ages will stand by and let others get beaten to death rather than intervene; just last year, hundreds of people stood on the beach and watched a man drown himself in the ocean, and even the first responders who were present refused to go in and save him in neck-deep water because they "weren't trained" in that sort of rescue. Sure, there are miracles of heroism every day -- but there are also hideous examples of man's inhumanity to man. Package it as reality TV, and people wouldn't blink an eye. And if the general population stood to suffer punishment if they didn't go along with it, as in the book, or gain great rewards if their representative won, well, bring on the bookies.

I hope the sequels are as good -- but now I'm not holding out hope.

Hmm! As good? I'm not sure, but they are certainly good. The big change in them is that the focus slowly shifts from strictly a personal agenda to a more "national" agenda. There are some things that you will find surprising, but there never is any working out of the technology. As you say, "It just is."

The Hunger Games is nothing new. This post-apocalyptic near future world seems the same as every other... actually, it seems a very simplistic model. The plucky teenage heroine has been done many times before... not as much as the teenage boy, but it's been done enough. Rags to riches. Local kid makes good... even against Big Brother. It seems improbable to me that a totalitarian government that it that brutal, corrupt, uncreative, and two faced could survive a decade let alone generations.

Now the characters are all familiar, so much so that they're almost caricatures. The author delves into the protagonist's continued dealings with personal loss... but the exploration of the theme of social justiced seemed heavy handed. The game itself has been done many times before.

Against all better judgement, I liked The Hunger Games. The first person narrative put a much more personal and realistic twist on the teenage savior story. That made me sympathetic towards Katniss... and I know I'd have disliked her if the story was presented in the third person.

The neverending setbacks and stress on Katniss is staggering. By telling the story though the first person, the author puts the reader directly into Katniss' shoes... I, for one, felt her pain, frustration, hatred, and complete mistrust of everyone.

I don't particularly like Katniss, but the sorrow of her life is real and I felt sympathy for her. I felt much more sympathetic to the people around Katniss. Peeta, Rue, and Thresh were much more likable to me. It was painful to read of Katniss' efforts in accepting and rejecting relationships with them.

I cannot put my finger on the reason, but The Hunger Games is a page turner. There is never a good place to stop... each chapter ending begs to immediately continue into the next chapter.

But I don't know that I'll be reading the sequels... until my niece turns thirteen or so.

If you ever finish the next two, you'll see that it's far from a 'rags to riches' story. It's actually quite depressing :p

I read these at the request of my girlfriend. Not my usual thing, but I enjoyed them. Fast-paced, quick reads that you really can't put down. I give all three books high marks.

I also started reading them because I was going to go see the movie and wanted to see how good of a job they did on it. But unlike DZ, I didn't even notice it was in present tense, because I was so taken up in the story!! But I'm reading Catching Fire right now, and it's a little more noticeable

My daughter has just forced me to read this and I thought it was superb, a real page turner!
I my case it was my son, but now I need to finish them.

The first one was very good, the second not so much and I'm not certain about the third since I have it, but haven't read it.
I disagree, I think Catching Fire is better than The Hunger Games. I can't read Mockingjay until my son finishes it himself.

The Hunger Games is nothing new. This post-apocalyptic near future world seems the same as every other... actually, it seems a very simplistic model.
Yes, the basic premise is like a lot of things - Running Man, Rollerball. However, she does have a knack of making cliff-hanging chapter endings, and springs unusual turns of events at you that you would be hard to guess.

BTW it reminded me more of Stephen King's The Long Walk than Running Man.
I have ordered both only just a few hours ago along with RoadWork which are all available in one paperback. ;)

haven't read the other comments on here, because i'm currently working my way thru the 3rd book and am worried about spoilers.
I'm also three-quarters through the 3rd book now. I won't add to the spoilers, except...
the sequels aren't as great (katniss turns whiny), but they're still good reads. And the original is just absolutely fantastic.
I just can't agree. The Hunger Games was a good YA book, but the trilogy as a whole, and most especially Mockingjay together become a very powerful Anti-War story. Even on a par with The Forever War.
Katniss was an interesting herione, reluctant and intelligent, even if she did seem paranoid -- and perhaps for good reason -- at times.
Yes, a typical reluctant hero, but "whiny" and "paranoid"? The rebels are all in mourning, not to mention Post Traumatic Stress. And some have even been Brainwashed. Is it any wonder that they don't make the best decisions. And Katniss does become a real leader rather than a puppet figurehead, though it takes her an exceedingly long time to figure out why she is so important and to take control of her destiny.

The book titles are clever too. Catching Fire has a number of meanings, some that aren't even understood until the third book. And who is really the Mockingjay (given that they only 'parrot' what they hear?)

I may have some more comments when I'm finished.

Dave,

I think you are asking the wrong question. I don't believe that in the end "Mockingjay" stands for a person. It is not a who, but rather a _____________ . (Parson leaves his answer blank remembering that this could be a spoiler.):D

I found the ending muddled, but then they are all damaged goods, those who are left.

I can't believe Katniss voted yes!!!
I believe she wanted to see if Coin would really go through with the idea before she made her decision.

I think you are asking the wrong question. I don't believe that in the end "Mockingjay" stands for a person.
Yes, true of course, but I was just thinking of Peeta earlier in the book, contrasted against the Mockingjays she teaches the Hanging Man song to. They are all just puppets, including Katniss herself.

...there is no detail whatsoever about the technology that makes it all work. If this had been my story idea, I would have been utterly paralyzed trying to figure out how they do the arena and the cameras can pick up every moment, and how they manage to drop the gifts so precisely.

The lack of explanation of the technology never bothered me, though I can see why it might. I thought the parachutes were dropped from hovercraft, though I accept now that they were a little too accurate. Other things didn't seem too far beyond our present technology, though some were odd - a street opening up to devour people - it was difficult sometimes to know which was a dream and which was real. (It was difficult for them too though.)

I found the ending muddled, but then they are all damaged goods, those who are left.

Yes, true of course, but I was just thinking of Peeta earlier in the book, contrasted against the Mockingjays she teaches the Hanging Man song to. They are all just puppets, including Katniss herself.

I would agree that the ending was a bit muddled. But in some sense that is much more true to life than the neat endings we expect. Life is muddled, but it can still have a sense of overcoming and a better future.

But the Mockingjays were able to rewrite their script, and in that sense everyone of the heroes was a Mockingjay.

Just finished the trilogy. My thanks to my granddaughter for telling me I just had to read it and for the comments here that further intrigued me. I thought it was excellent and I agree totally with Parson about the end, not neatly tied in a bow but then when does life work out that way?

I also agree with Dave that this trilogy became a powerful antiwar statement but perhaps even more a call for us to take a long hard look at how we treat our fellow humans today. The view can be downright disturbing.

I have started reading this series (on to Mockingjay) and I am having a hard time putting it down. I only started reading it after watching the movie, as I had been hesitant on reading them due to the hype about it from people I know who had raved about the Twilight series, but I am pleasantly surprised at how good they are.

When I was in high school we did unit in English about post apocalyptic/dystopian Earth, where we read books like "Z for Zachariah" and "Children of the Dust" I can see that this may eventually end up in the school curriculum also.