The August What-Are-You-Reading-This-Month-Thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Butcher's Princeps Fury (which was very good and makes me anticipate the next book even more).

Now I'm about halfway through Sorcery & Cecelia which is extremely charming.

Started The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Not sure how far I'll get into it, though, as I seem to be out of my reading stride at the moment (cue disgruntled frown).

Started The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Not sure how far I'll get into it, though, as I seem to be out of my reading stride at the moment (cue disgruntled frown).

Whoa, Hoops... Something you can't get into? :eek: Never thought I'd see the day.

I am thoroughly enjoying the second installment of Song of Ice and Fire, a brilliant read! In depth characters, a vast land and intertwining storylines, I couldn’t have asked for any more!

*shock, horror* I've actually just finished a Sf book

Chasm City by Alistair Reynolds

I actually really enjoyed it but did speed read the physics bits liek the Higgs effect lol

Woot!

A friend has lent me the two Oots (Order of the Stick) books with back story on the PCs and the villains. So I'm now whizzing through On the Origin of PCs, and then I shall move onto The Start of Darkness, both by Rich Burlew.

I loved that and the Moonstone. Despite a very slow paced Victorian style, Collins somehow manages to keep his books incredibly engaging and readable.

Just finished City by Clifford Simak. A lost gem.

A great one by one of the greats. Actually I finally read his Way Station (Hugo winner) this month. Another classic that can actually stand the test of time, save a small amount of cold war paranoia. But that's easily put aside for the sake of the story's more profound messages.

A great one by one of the greats. Actually I finally read his Way Station (Hugo winner) this month. Another classic that can actually stand the test of time, save a small amount of cold war paranoia. But that's easily put aside for the sake of the story's more profound messages.

I agree entirely. Way Station is a wonderful book, City even better. :)

Finished Night of Knives by Ian C Esselmont, and really enjoyed it, so much so (and thanks to the recommendations by members of this hallowed forum) I'm trying to trackdown The Return of the Crimson Guard in hardback. Sigh me and my hardbacks.

But putting that aside I have The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch to start now, and have seen so many positive comments about this that I'm looking forward to it immensely. That and it does seem to have short chapters.

I'll have to hunt down Way Station. I miss cold war paranoia, a piece of my childhood I can reclaim briefly in fiction...

Way Station has a cold war flavor by way of it's attitudes toward global issues, but not about cold war events per se. If you want a real cold war/alternate history read, try Not This August by C.M. Kornbluth.

Not This August - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A friend has lent me the two Oots (Order of the Stick) books with back story on the PCs and the villains.

There are OotS books? Right, they are going on the order list!

Just finished seeds of Earth by Michael Cobley. Pretty impressive, with chapter sizes that fitted perfectly into my lunch break. But it doesn't feel like much was achieved (it is a Book One in..), with nobody really overcoming anything (I know they beat the robot thing, but that seemed more like a subplot with a bit of a deus ex). Am looking forward to the next one however.

Just read Veniss Underground, by Jeff VanderMeer. I didn't get into it straight away, but I was enjoying it by the end. Interesting to read a novel written in first, second and third person (the latter is the strongest, IMO, but the rest does work).

But putting that aside I have The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch to start now, and have seen so many positive comments about this that I'm looking forward to it immensely. That and it does seem to have short chapters.

That is an awesome book Perp, I'm sure you will enjoy it. After my other half read it he cursed me for getting him into a series that hasn't finished yet.

Why does the name Jeff Vandermeer sound familiar?

Status
Not open for further replies.