Who's reading what? September's selection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting in on Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.
You know this is probably my least favourite of Neil's books. Of course it's still good but falls short IMO from American Gods, Graveyard Book, Coraline, Stardust, Neverwhere or even his lesser known works like Interworld and Angels and Visitations.

It will be of interest to see what your opinion is on this one... :)

Should have said I'm finishing up with Kobe Abe's classic Woman In The Dunes. A very good "horror" read that shows you don't have to be armed with a plethora of devices to deliver a truly surreal-like nightmare quality to one's reading experience.

Apparently the film, which received a Cannes Jury prize and was nominated for academy awards is a classic in horror cinema.

J.D. what can you tell us about this film?? If by some chance you haven't seen it yet, I suggest you read the book.

Cheers.... :)

It's been a while since I read that, but The Chronicles of Amber has always been one of my favorites. While each book is rather short by contemporary standards, in all it makes a fairly epic story. I'd love to hear your thoughts on Nine Princes when you finish it. :)

I finished Nice Princes of Amber and i thought it was a wonderful read from start to finish. It was a mystery at first of who,what Corwin,Amber was but when you got in his real world, got to understand him,his kind more it was so great read. I liked how original,different worlds,stories it is. Zelazny writing went from regular prose style to more fantastical,beautiful prose.

I planned to read a library book,then a few other books crime ones but second half of the book was too strong that i'm reading The Guns of Avalon now. Corwin is the only type of character you can endure for so long in first person in a fantasy series. I liked Nine Princes more in the second half when his story got more grim. The battles against Eric,the prison time,the great escape.

Just started Thief with No Shadow by Emily Gee

I think it might be fantasy chick lit, which is okay with me

Reading a Feist book, part one of the Shadow Conclave. Always a gamble to get the title right, seeing as I usually read translated versions.

Finished that volume of The Lock-and-Key Library, which ended with Villiers L'Isle de Adam's "Torture by Hope", a classic of the conte cruel which has suffered somewhat with time, having been superseded in many ways (yet that final touch retains all its original sting, I think) and four pieces by the collaborative team of Emille Erckmann and Alexandre Chatrian:

Erckmann-Chatrian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The four tales being: "The Owl's Ear", "The Invisible Eye", "The Waters of Death", and the novelette, "The Man-Wolf". All well worth reading, though the first is more a "strange tale" than truly weird, and the last tale is the gem of the bunch.....

I read the second tale , and you might know it's said Ewers liked it so much he reworked it into "The Spider" .

Starting in on Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.

You know this is probably my least favourite of Neil's books. Of course it's still good but falls short IMO from American Gods, Graveyard Book, Coraline, Stardust, Neverwhere or even his lesser known works like Interworld and Angels and Visitations.
:)

I'll take the near opposite position and say I preferred this over American Gods and Stardust, but not over NeverWhere. I found Fat Charlie to be a more enjoyable hapless protagonist than Shadow from American Gods.

Either way, I've really enjoyed all his books and wish you fun.:)

I finished Nice Princes of Amber and i thought it was a wonderful read from start to finish. It was a mystery at first of who,what Corwin,Amber was but when you got in his real world, got to understand him,his kind more it was so great read. I liked how original,different worlds,stories it is. Zelazny writing went from regular prose style to more fantastical,beautiful prose.

I planned to read a library book,then a few other books crime ones but second half of the book was too strong that i'm reading The Guns of Avalon now. Corwin is the only type of character you can endure for so long in first person in a fantasy series. I liked Nine Princes more in the second half when his story got more grim. The battles against Eric,the prison time,the great escape.

Very cool. Well, I'll just say you're in a for a real treat!

Finished Stross Clan Corporate over the weekend - now I just have to get the fourth book, this one ended with cliffhanger :mad: At least it was filled with intrigues and action - still seems just to be filler between other parts of the story. Oh well next one should contain some answers, at least I hope so.

Now reading T.Brooks Sword of Shannara - don't tell anyone :eek:

Finished Prince of the Blood by Feist..probably one of his weakest efforts. This was the second time reading it as I make my way through the Feist re-reads and may skip it next time. In the meantime I have opened Lord Foul's Bane Stephen Donaldson. I read these when I was a teenager and had a hard time digesting the weight of them. I am sure that a reread now will be much more enjoyable.

Finished Stross Clan Corporate over the weekend - now I just have to get the fourth book, this one ended with cliffhanger :mad: At least it was filled with intrigues and action - still seems just to be filler between other parts of the story. Oh well next one should contain some answers, at least I hope so.

Now reading T.Brooks Sword of Shannara - don't tell anyone :eek:

Its a novel in 6 parts rather than a series of self contained books ... the next one ends in a cliffhanger at least as annoying ^^

Off on holiday ... the following books packed:

Toll The Hounds
The City and The City
The Killing of the Tinkers
Orbus
House of Suns
Old Tin Sorrows
The Naming of the Beasts
The Revolution Business

Planning quite a lazy reading time :)

I read the second tale , and you might know it's said Ewers liked it so much he reworked it into "The Spider" .

Perhaps it's my fading memory, but I don't recall hearing that before. Nonetheless, I must admit that, reading "The Invisible Eye", Ewers' tale kept creeping into my mind. I will say, though, that they are at least as different as they are similar, and each is an impressive piece... in fact, "The Spider" is one which, to my mind, grows with each reading, becoming more effective each time; an extremely well-crafted tale.

And along with various short stories I'm going through at the moment, I'm also reading S. T. Joshi's Classics and Contemporaries, a book essentially made up of reviews he has written from 1980 to 2007... though that word "review" doesn't quite do these pieces justice, as what he does here is closer to the older type of reviews, where the writer puts the piece under examination into context in the field, as well as expressing critical opinions and insights about it. Lighter fare than I'm used by Joshi, but entertaining and (surprise! surprise!) provocative for all that....

It looks like I was actually confused about which books I had ordered from Amazon. :D I just got the second book today. I had not ordered Magic Burns (although it's on my Wish List) but Fatal Revenant, Book Two of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. Twenty-five pages into it so far, and lovin' it.

It looks like I was actually confused about which books I had ordered from Amazon. :D I just got the second book today. I had not ordered Magic Burns (although it's on my Wish List) but Fatal Revenant, Book Two of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. Twenty-five pages into it so far, and lovin' it.
I thought it was better than the Runes Of The Earth.

Next year will see book 3 delivered and then only 1 more Covenant novel remaining....:(

Status
Not open for further replies.