RIP Harry Harrison

Another great one gone. Are there any left? There was always something a little different in his work I couldn't pin down, a subtle but distinct feeling I got when reading him that I never got reading anyone else except maybe Keith Laumer. Will miss him much.

Im proof that The Stainless Steel Rat book/series is still relevant. I read the first book in 2009 and found it to alot of fun,very enjoyable. Im looking forward to reading much more of Harrison.

This is terrible news to me, you dont want lose greats of the field.

Looks like I'll be retreading the Stainless Steel Rat again soon.

RIP Harry. You were one of the authors who were instrumental in getting me into Science Fiction. Thank you.

I've loved the Stainless Steel Rat since I was a kid but just this year I finally got around to the (equally? nearly as?) wonderful Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers. Also, just this year, I read some of his more serious works in Make Room, Make Room and a variety of stories in Stainless Steel Visions (along with another humorous work in Bill, The Galactic Hero). While not up to the level of my very favorites they were worth looking into. He'll be missed but his works live.

Another great one gone. Are there any left?

It's getting kind of thin on the ground. As JunkMonkey mentioned, Fred Pohl is alive and active. Jack Vance is alive and retired. Silverberg. Le Guin and Spinrad. A couple of others I can think of with less name recognition. A few I'm forgetting. But not many.

Speaking of Fred Pohl, he has a nice two-part writeup of Harrison on his blog:

Part One
Part Two

I should read these.

He was (and is) one of my favorites. He didn't just get me into SF, Deathworld II got me into Alexander Pope, and I was one of the diehards who even liked the Stars and Stripes trilogy. I'll miss his stuff.

Last edited: