RIP Neil Armstrong

Kylara

Ghosting
Neil died today age 82...one great leap into the unknown...forever immortalised in moon dust

Like all those pioneering astronauts, he was a true hero.

RIP

The end of an era. RIP, hero.

I wonder if he'll be cremated and sent into space? That would be quite fitting.

A man who boldly went where no man had gone before.

Rest in peace, Neil. You will always be a hero.

A man who truly slipped the surly bonds of Earth.

Requiescat in pace, Neil: whatever the future holds, you were the very first.

Like many of us, I watched his lunar adventure in 1969. My dad got me out of bed especially for it. That was the start of my lifelong interest in outer space, and science fiction. Thankyou Mr Armstrong.

Odihneste-te in pace, Neil!

I always found it disgraceful how people tried to undermine the achievements of those great days. Small, narrow minded, unimportant people trying to bring everyone to their level. Neil Armstrong was a hero, and shall remain as thus.

I think what Neil Armstrong did was mind-blowing, the true ultimate trip. The right guy with the right stuff at the right time. Farewell.

It isn't just the fruit cases who do that, Cyber.

After saying that no-one could repeat Armstrong's achievement of "being the first person to set foot on another planet(sic)", the anchorman** on BBC News 24 today asked the person he was interviewing, "Couldn't Armstrong have done more?" in terms of being a public figure. (Inspiring a generation, and then following that up with real work at NASA and in science education, is, obviously, slacking.)

Well, I suppose Armstrong could have become an idiot newscaster, but that's not something anyone can do....

** - The same one, I think, who when interviewing a female scientist about communication between chimpanzees spent half the interview trying to get her to make monkey noises. (Even his co-presenter was embarrassed by his behaviour.) I doubt, though, that this goading replaced the asking of any intelligent questions. *shakes head*

And that disqualifies this anchorman from being a fruit case how exactly? :D

I doubt he believes much of what he says, which is why he, and his equally (apparently) ignorant colleagues, tend to talk with such certainty, pretending that they know anything about the subjects on which they broadcast.

Rest in Peace Neil Armstrong

A poem familiar to pilots the world over

High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds – and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I’ve topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
- Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee, No 412 squadron, RCAF, Killed 11 December 1941

Last edited: