RIP Neil Armstrong

"Nothing on Earth stays forever,
none of your deeds were in vain,
deep in our hearts you will live again,
you've gone to the home of the brave" -Hammerfall (Glory to the Brave)

RIP Neil. He got to live to see Curiosity land though, so that's something.

RIP Neil. He got to live to see Curiosity land though, so that's something.
That's kind of how I feel. He was quoted as saying that returning to the Moon was only reliving past glories and we should be aiming for the future and Mars. A great man, who thought of himself as primarily an engineer, even referring to himself once, I believe, as a 'nerd'.

It is a shame that the great adventure pioneered by Armstrong & others like him, has not been out of Earth's orbit for decades. Since the demise of the USSR the USA has simply lost the resolve to pursue further adventures, such as putting men on Mars. I doubt that anything begun by one administration or congress would be continued by the next.

Some hope exists for private enterprise to put men on Mars, but the best they have thus far done is to reach orbit. I am becoming too old to wait much longer. All too soon, I will follow Armstrong into oblivion. To top it off, at 54, my face is still as oily as it was at 15. :D

What great adventures still await us? When I was a kid, anything to do with NASA was more interesting than anything-- no everything else that was happening. STAR TREK was great SF, but going to the Moon was reality! I remember a TV show called THE 21ST CENTURY, & how great it was going to be (as viewed by a hopeful TV writer back then in the 1960s). There were going to be domed cities on the Moon, with huge 6 wheeled vehicles driving all over the place. Doughnut shaped space stations would have interplanetary ferries docking on voyages between Earth & other planets. There was so much hope for a wondrous future of space-faring adventurers.

Well, we do have personal computers & cell phones that may have far exceeded the hopes of the mid 20th century, but where's my jetpack? :D