September's Stemalogical Study of Stupendously Serpentine and Sonorous Prose

Finished Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders series. Pretty emotionally wrenching. From the start it had some soap opera qualities, but was a very compelling read throughout. There were some fantastic characters (Kennit, Ronica, Tintaglia, Paragon, the satrap, and many others). A few times I got the sense I was witnessing someone (Kyle for example) kicking a puppy to achieve an emotional reaction from Hobb, but other times the characters were so emotionally rich (Kennit) even heinous acts only added depth. All in all a very good series I would heartily recommend. I look forward to her Tawny Many trilogy.

Now, while I wait for Iain M Banks' new Hydrogen Sonata to arrive, I'm reading another nice, fun Miles Vorkosigan jaunt, Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Grunkins, I am glad you enjoyed the Liveship Traders. Hobbs books are some of my favorites for sure. I read them out of order (Farseer, Tawny, Liveship, Rainwilds)

I am not sure which Trilogy was my favorite but all great books!

I finished Brent Weeks The Blinding Knife and was once again fully enthralled. He continues to impress me.

I have moved on to the third book in the Green Rider series by Kristain Britain...The High Kings Tomb. Fast paced book so far. Not my usual cup of tea but I like to be diverse in my Fantasy reading....and yes, that is possible.

Presently I'm approximately 70% through Scattered Suns, book four of The Saga of the Seven Suns series by Kevin J. Anderson. I found the first three books engaging and I enjoyed them immensely, but I find myself less enthusiastic this time around the further I make my way through Scattered Suns.

Presently I'm approximately 70% through Scattered Suns, book four of The Saga of the Seven Suns series by Kevin J. Anderson. I found the first three books engaging and I enjoyed them immensely, but I find myself less enthusiastic this time around the further I make my way through Scattered Suns.

Interesting, I have read the first book in this series and have the second sitting on a bookshelf waiting to be read. Since so much happened in the first book it seems like the series must be quite vast and span over some time. I hope to make my way to the second book before long so I don't forget what happened in the story

I'm still reading, because I'm such a slow reader, I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan. I downloaded the Kindle for PC thing too so on that I'm reading Lancelot and the Wolf by Sarah Luddington (who, incidentally, I used to do karate with). Also finally managed to find The Queen's Necklace by Teresa Edgerton, after I'd lost it in a box somewhere during the house move, so I'm trying to pick that up where I left off.

If any of you have your windows open you can probably hear the chorus of angels, they're singing because I just received my copy of Iain M Banks' Hydrogen Sonata. I will be starting it presently.

Finished reading two books over the weekend:

First the fiction, Summer of the Dragon, by Elizabeth Peters. This one is a romantic mystery, a little outdated, having been published in 1979, but it was fun. An archaeological student gets a summer job working for an eccentric billionaire who lives in Arizona and claims to have found something extraordinary. But, since the eccentric billionaire has a reputation for supporting various pseudoscientific theories - UFOs, psychics, treasure hunters, and so forth - and surrounds himself with the people who expound those theories, the very rational and scientific student goes into the adventure with more than a little cynicism. I won't say more, but it was a fun book if you like your scientific mysteries spiced with romance. Also, if you don't know, Elizabeth Peters, who also writes the Amelia Peabody mysteries, is a Ph.D. in Egyptology who was educated at the University of Chicago, one the the best schools in the US. So, at least you know that she knows her archaeology.

And then there's the non-fiction, LZ-'75, by Stephen Davis. This is ostensibly about Led Zeppelin's 1975 tour of the US, based on notebooks Davis kept while he traveled with the band for part of that tour. What it is mostly really about is Davis's experience of traveling with the band. It isn't a bad book, necessarily, but I got the distinct impression that Davis is too self-absorbed to be able to write an effective report of the tour. The most interesting thing about the book was the few pages describing a discussion between Jimmy Page and William S. Burroughs about the psychology of crowd control. Other than that, it's your standard account of sex, drugs, and rock and roll in the mid-1970s. Kind of boring and more than a little bit sad.