Too many adjectives and adverbs?

As for readers who want to be free to imagine things on their own, I'm not one of them. I employ my imagination in my own writing. I read to see things through another writer's eyes, to see what they see, hear what they hear. To enter their world.

If we were to whittle our writing down to the most basic basics to let readers imagine everything for themselves, we might as well be selling them outlines instead of novels and let them do the rest for themselves. It would certainly be quicker and easier!

I liked that, well said.

The answer's in the Balance... too much can be overwhelming, and too little can be underwhelming. Personally, because I read so fast, I tend to scan descriptive sections very quickly, and build a picture from the clues the writer leaves. Invariably, too many adjectives/adverbs has me scanning faster, looking for the next 'action' - whether it be dialogue, or a brief descriptive piece that informs me of something new. I just become irritated when the author feels they have to lay everything out, word for word, and tend to give up reading, as I find it slows everything down.

'The gale tore at him and he felt its bite deep within and he knew if they did not make a landfall in three days they would all be dead.'

The opening line of Shogun. Another author would have been tempted to describe the gale in full, and how cold he was, but this type of writing does it better (for me, anyway). Less is more! (Okay, he could have lost one 'and' but what a great opening line...)

But some readers would argue that "the gale tore at him" would be sufficient.

In fact (much to my surprise) I might be one of them. He's avoiding adjectives (I count only one) and adverbs, but I think the sentence is too wordy.

It's all a matter of taste.

I think that reads fine, to be honest. My go-to example for adverb overuse is dear J.K. Rowling. For what skills she has in plotting and aptly naming her characters, she sure abuses the hell out of them (especially in dialogue tags).

I like a good adjective and adverb, so y'know, I am a bit biased.
I think so too! ;)

I think adjectives and adverbs are really good. They explain the Story more. But when using them too much... Well, I haven't read books with too many adjectives, to be honest... ;)