You stupid boy! (Dad's Army - 2015)

If you are a fan of the show do not under any circumstances watch this movie!

I felt they didn't capture the heart of most of the characters.
They behave very differently and some things oddly changed - eg Mannering and Wilson's friction isn't class based but school based (Wilson is now Oxford/Cambridge). Joe is shown to be more cowardly overall whilst Jones admits to having never actually killed anyone during his many years in the army (again a somewhat cowardly view compared to his normal TV show mannerism).

It also felt very rushed in pace; as if they were trying to cover way too much. It was something that stood out to me when you compare it to the pace of the original series and film. There's a rushed feeling that doesn't sit well with me when added to the rest.

I was also very disappointed that Hodges the Vicar and the Verger only appeared in token appearances. I suspect Hodges vanished mostly due to the fact that they really wanted to remove the class based jokes even though that was both a staple of the original and something modern audiences still understand (if not as accurately its still understood at a basic level)

Back