Footsteps

Hey you are missing the sound of the spurs.
That sort of twirling jingle that goes with each step.

Seriously though it all a boot point if you ask me.

I had a male boss who, when walking down the tiled hall, created a sound like the light sharp step of a woman in high heels. So footfalls can be deceptive.

Thanks for the advice guys. No spurs...not a real cowboy, just a guy in black boots and a leather jacket kind of thing

I dont like the tap part. It's too sharp sounding for my eyes.
what about clack-ta or thu-dud, the sound you are typing is going to bring to mind not just the type of boot on wood, but the weight and barring of the person doing the walking.
if they are shuffling across it would be more shush-thud or shush-ba depending on the weight landing on the heal (since shuffling is toe heal rather than heal toe)
or are they trying to sneak? then it would be more of a measured ti-pity ti-pity, especially if they are light and small footed.

Obviously I'm going to have to don my high heeled cowboy boots and line dance across the bare wooden floorboards of my Library / Study. With recording running.

Actually this is a case where the atmosphere created by the words is more important than what it really sounds like. Even if it was a radio play the right atmosphere is more important than reality. It's not a documentary :)

Documentaries use as much or more atmosphere than radio plays.
Watch a documentary about wildebeests followed by a documentary about crocodiles and you'll see what I mean.
Same stock footage, change up the sound and the voice over, and BAM! whole new set of emotions to play with.

Though in my opinion describing what the footsteps did rather than how they sounded is much easier

'he could hear the soft tread of footsteps across the shop floor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
iansales Book Discussion 11