April 2016: What Have You Been Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Victor LaValle's The Ballad of Black Tom. This is one of the better Lovecraft mythos novels I've read; not as rich and textured as Caitlin Kiernan's The Red Tree or The Drowning Girl, maybe not as much fun as We Are All Completely Fine by Darryl Gregory, but stronger than John Horner Jacobs' Southern Gods; on a personal reading satisfaction scale I'd place it on pretty much on par with Laird Barron's The Croning though the plot isn't as intricate.

Anyway, LaValle takes HPL's "The Horror at Red Hook" and views it from the opposition side, doing an interesting job of blending Lovecraftian concerns with the rampant racism of the period. Never expected to find allusions to Ralph Ellison in an HPL inspired story, but there it is and I think LaValle does it well.

Randy M.

The Kingdom Beyond the Waves by Stephen Hunt. I wish I had read this in the height of the Steampunk frenzy. I'm only a hundred pages in. It's long on wonder (and backstory), but I'm still waiting for the story to start moving. I'm sure it does.

I just finished The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan in an effort to read the entire Wheel of Time series. Now I'm on to The Great Hunt.

Screenshot_2016-04-29-16-48-38.png

Just ordered. I cannot wait until it arrives. First read it 20 or so years ago, loaned the book out, never got it back. I hope my memories are not playing me false on this one because I thought it was a phenomenal read back in the day. Some of the passages are still clear as day in my mind.

I just finished The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan in an effort to read the entire Wheel of Time series. Now I'm on to The Great Hunt.

I read them all a couple years ago. Really enjoyed them...things fall apart from 8-10 for about 3000 pages...but stick with it, well worth the end results

Needful Things - Stephen King, I am making an effort to read all his books as a goal for myself.

Bio, I read this a year or two ago. It was quite good.

Last edited:
I've read all of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time, the prequel and some "World of" accompanying books.

I really enjoyed them.

things fall apart from 8-10 for about 3000 words

You mean pages?

I haven't fancied any fiction recently, so have read several Dilbert collections and 1971: Never A Dull Moment, David Hepworth's study of the music released in that year, which he contends has been more culturally significant and resonant than any before or since. He makes a good case, and it's a good read.

You mean pages?

I haven't fancied any fiction recently, so have read several Dilbert collections and 1971: Never A Dull Moment, David Hepworth's study of the music released in that year, which he contends has been more culturally significant and resonant than any before or since. He makes a good case, and it's a good read.

What do you mean, I said pages....:ninja:

yeah, 3000 slow words I could get over !

I just finished Night of Knives by Ian Cameron Esselmont, the first book in his Novels of the Malazan Empire series. It was a marked departure from what I'd come to love of Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, but I'm going to continue with it and give it a chance. Next up is Esselmont's Return of the Crimson Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back