January 2021 Reading Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to read this Vertigo and to see you liked it so much. I read and enjoyed Neptune Crossing last year. This is the direct sequel to that book? I’ll have to keep an eye out for it in my fave big used book store. Carver seems like a nice guy too.
Yes it carries on directly from Neptune Crossing, in fact the first chapter or so was in the back of my edition of Neptune Crossing. It is very much the continuing, but very different, adventures of John Bandicut. I enjoyed it very much.
Thanks Vertigo, I’m going to have to pick up that Simon Caroti book.

Looking forward to Banks’s Notes and Drawings on the Culture book to be released, too.
I'm now about half way through the Caroti book. There's a lot of very good insights into Banks' design and creation of a plausible utopia, as well as showing connections between the stories, both philosophical and literal, as in the link between the novella The State of the Art and Use of Weapons. My one big complaint is that it always seems to me that literary critics have probably failed as authors because they can't be read without a dictionary by your elbow! But get past that and there are many interesting insights and lots of fascinating links between the M and non-M Banks writings. (Thank goodness for ebook instant dictionary lookups!)

I'm just hoping Notes and Drawings does eventually make publication!

"I'm just hoping Notes and Drawings does eventually make publication!"

I think there are a few of us here looking forward to that release.

"I'm just hoping Notes and Drawings does eventually make publication!"

I think there are a few of us here looking forward to that release.
I would also recommend if you haven't come across it before an essay written by Banks in 1994:
Free to download with a typical Banks copyright:
Copyright 1994 Iain M Banks
Commercial use only by permission.
Other uses, distribution, reproduction, tearing to shreds etc are freely encouraged provided the source is acknowledged.

As for me, I'm about 70% through my first book of the new year, The Man from the Diogenes Club by Kim Newman, which is tied to his Anno Dracula universe. While nowhere stated, this Titan edition (2017) is essentially an updating of the similarly titled collection from MonkeyBrain Books (2006), featuring the 1970s-'80s adventures of Richard Jeperson, Most Valued Member of the Diogenes Club -- i.e. at the time, the most experienced and successful field agent for a goup loosely attached to the government and charged with investigating the paranormal/supernatural, established late in the 19th century by Mycroft Holmes and disguised as a club for the "unclubbable". This trade paperback, at 711 pages, includes a 20 page glossary of British terms and allusions that is vital to a Yank understanding the by-play between the characters, and 7 pages of discussion by Newman about the origin of the stories and series.

If you've read Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen you'll have some sense of the sources, to which Newman adds pulp fiction, comic books, movies and television shows like The Avengers ('60s version, no relation to Marvel Productions). I would even describe the tone as often the literary version of The Avengers, a light even jaunty tone mixed with snark in the service of often preposterous and hugely entertaining premises. It's probably the best choice I could have made for reading during this tumultuous and unsettling time.

Finished. The last two stories show an older Jeperson, the first reflecting the tonal changes in England from the 1970s to the Thatcher years, the last showing an aged Jeperson coming out of retirement to face another threat.

These were good, sometimes funny, sometimes tense comfort reading adventures in a time of turmoil and stress.

Next up, I think, Helene Tursten's An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good.

Randy M.

Ah, not read any of her stuff
I love it. Leaves some people cold. To Say Nothing of the Dog is one if the funniest books I have read in a while. Domesday Book is equally good, but very moving.

Ordered THE GHOST IN THE MACHINE by Arthur Koestler 1967.And BEYOND SCIENCE FICTION by Michael Whelan, it's an Art book.

After a delay of a few days for no good reason (Inspector Montalbano *cough*, Spiral *cough*, Attack on Titan *cough*) I began my reread of The Fellowship of the Ring. This is my 1967 hardback set I bought a couple of years ago. I tried a reread then and couldn't get into it, and wondered if I ever would again. But something's clearly changed, because aaah, it felt like easing cold, tired feet into a pair of warm sheepskin slippers. This time I'm particularly appreciating Tolkien's sense of humour.

After a delay of a few days for no good reason (Inspector Montalbano *cough*, Spiral *cough*, Attack on Titan *cough*) I began my reread of The Fellowship of the Ring. This is my 1967 hardback set I bought a couple of years ago. I tried a reread then and couldn't get into it, and wondered if I ever would again. But something's clearly changed, because aaah, it felt like easing cold, tired feet into a pair of warm sheepskin slippers. This time I'm particularly appreciating Tolkien's sense of humour.
Its funny but I was so glad when I finished the whole of LOTR, it was such a real slog! But you know what, I'd like to read it again some time.

I've tonight completed my reread of Stephen King's The Stand and I'm dithering over what to read next.

I'm peeping at The Kingdom by Jo Nesbo but I'm not sure I want to read it. Maybe in the spring.

It's too grim and miserable at this time of year to consider a dark psychological drama, I want space beasties

I've tonight completed my reread of Stephen King's The Stand and I'm dithering over what to read next.

I'm peeping at The Kingdom by Jo Nesbo but I'm not sure I want to read it. Maybe in the spring.

It's too grim and miserable at this time of year to consider a dark psychological drama, I want space beasties
space beasties? thenhow about footfall?

How about The Voyage of the Space Beagle by van Vogt!

Well I got 2 good recommendations here, Footfall and Voyage of the space beagle.
I've read them both but not for several years so I'll most likely revisit them in the next few weeks.

However, not quite what I had in mind, but a recent review here in Chronicles (review by Brian G Turner) has caught my attention.
It's a military sci fi, A Rain of Fire by Ralph Kern.
I've started it now, we shall see

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back