Bolos for the Honor of the Regiment created by Keith Laumer
The Dragon Novel Sleeps by Glen cook
Hammers Slammers by David Drake
Dorsal by Gordon Dickson
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Bill The Baltic Hero by Harry Harrison
Armor by Joh Steakley

Bill the Galactic Hero :(
Is this your smartphone deciding what you are supposed to be writing? It happens to me too.

AI stands for Almost Intelligent.
Aggravating Intelligence?

When people say "military science fiction," do they always mean far-future space military? Or do they ever mean, like, present day technothrillers with SF elements?

When people say "military science fiction," do they always mean far-future space military? Or do they ever mean, like, present day technothrillers with SF elements?
Most readers of both would not call Rainbow Six SF, no matter how many SF elements it has. For instance.

No!

Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham

Is time travel from an alternative 1920s where Hilary Clinton had been president to 1942 and the futuristic multinational navy fleet lands on top of the 1942 fleet headed for the battle of Midway.

Screws up history Big Time!

No space stuff whatsoever. I think it is better than a lot of space stuff but I like a lot of social criticism type writing in stories.

Last edited:
Weapons of Choice sounds ridonkulous.

Yeah, an aircraft carrier named after Hilary Clinton is pretty ridiculous. As bad as Ronald Reagan. I was able to ignore that and soldier on. Otherwise I thought the story was pretty good. It is the start of a trilogy and I have read all three.

The question is, is it better than the military fantasy series "Forgotten Ruin"? in which Army Rangers slaughter orcs by the thousands with a-dubs? That's my current guilty pleasure.

The question is, is it better than the military fantasy series "Forgotten Ruin"? in which Army Rangers slaughter orcs by the thousands with a-dubs? That's my current guilty pleasure.

No opinion, never heard of it.

As you say, Mil Fantasy not Mil Sci-fi.

Do you mean something like The Hunt for Red October?

I expect a Mil SF story to portray a significant amount of organized violence rather just involve military people and setting.

Bolo and Rogue Bolo by Keith Laumer
Bolos for the Honor of the Regiment created by Keith Laumer
Hammers Slammers by David Drake
Dorsai by Gordon Dickson
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Bill The Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison
Read all of the above, lots of different Bolo stories.
Complete Bolo

What is the story with the following:
The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook
Armor by Joh Steakley

IIRC, most of the book is set there.
Yep, but once you get down to an alien planet the stars are just randomly scattered around. I will have check how it affected travel time. I didn't remember anything about that.