So, what is the self publishing experience been like for those that have gone that route?

There is another option, which is hybrid publishers. Sometimes, for a strong proposal, they'll take a punt. Sometimes, they'll get you to pay upfront. I agree with Jo and Toby, the publishing arena is dire at the moment. Mind you, that's allowed me to not give a s**t -- my new novel (professionally edited and with a fab cover) will be sold in one small bookshop in Shropshire. I plan other don't-give-a-damn publications.

To clarify, vanity publishing and self-publishing are technically different - but in both instances it is paying to be published, the distinction simply being whether you pay someone else or foot all the costs yourself. As opposed to trad publishing where you are paid to be published.

The trouble is, a lot of people are easily fooled into thinking that self-publishing has no costs if they do it all themselves, but that their book will equal the success of any traditionally published novel. The value of self-publishing has been really badly over-sold.

Yes, it is a legitimate publishing strategy, but it's not the easy money some people have claimed in the past.

Just to add my two pence … and for the benefit of people who are trying to suck up info on writing.

Probably like most of the writers on this forum, I am following a dream/mission/calling (with a sidebar hope that I may get lucky).

I’ve written 4 full-length novels. In each case, I’ve subbed them out to Trad Agents, and I’ve never been picked up.

So, I’ve self-published … using professional editors and professional designers to make the books the best that I can reasonably manage … Over the 10 years I’ve been writing (1 book every 2 or 3 years), I’ve probably earned a Net Profit (after the costs of all the editors etc.) of a bottle of wine a month (I drink cheap stuff ) … I have not accounted/charged for my time.

I think that anyone who loves telling stories should embrace self-pub as a way of supporting that passion ... the trad route is a closed door to all but the lucky 0.1%

So … I agree with Brian that “it is not easy money” (and there is so much crap out there of people selling snake oil)
… I agree with Stephen that “it helps if you don’t give a s**t about sales” (I’m not emotionally there yet)

I have no words of wisdom with regard to self-publicity (but from a purely mechanical standpoint I’ll start a separate thread on direct email advertising in a few days)

I illustrated and co-published a picture book with an author friend of mine. We published through both KDP and IngramSpark (both print-on-demand) to get the best revenue, but the vast majority of our sales have come from in-person sales since it's easier outreach and we get to keep more of the profit from the author copies we sell. Because of the nature of the illustrations, we opted not to do an ebook and just stick with hardcover and paperback. So far the hardcovers have been the vastly more successful option.

As the illustrator, I illustrated the cover myself. We also didn't have any blurbs as we are debut self-published authors with no real connections yet. We did, however, offer a free virtual ARC to get reviews before our publication date, which served us well. (We had to publish early on KDP then list as "unavailable" to get Amazon reviews before pub day.) One of the reasons we self-published was because trad publishers don't typically accept author-illustrator duos, in favor of their own in-house illustrators, unless the author is also the illustrator, so trad publishing hasn't ever really been an option for us.

We've had decent success offering to do local school visits for free in exchange for sending home a flyer 2 weeks before the event with an order form on it. We collect order forms and money on the day, order the books, and deliver the signed copies about a month later. We have also been fortunate enough to get plugged in with some other local authors and get invited to join a local renaissance fair guild whose whole shtick is promoting books and literacy, so they've invited us to come sell our books at ren fairs with them and those have gone very well for us.

We have yet to break even on all of our costs (most books don't), but for a debut book, I'd say things have gone well in fostering an audience. We were a #1 bestseller on IngramSpark in our first week thanks to all the promo work we did leading up to release. We do plan to publish another book within the next few years. (I have a year left of grad school first which takes up most of my time.) We also have plans to self-record and publish an audiobook (looking at ACX and Findaway Voices). Our book also includes a song, so we're thinking of recording and releasing the song on Spotify, Youtube, etc. so folks who don't read music can hear how it goes.

I illustrated and co-published a picture book with an author friend of mine. We published through both KDP and IngramSpark (both print-on-demand) to get the best revenue, but the vast majority of our sales have come from in-person sales since it's easier outreach and we get to keep more of the profit from the author copies we sell. Because of the nature of the illustrations, we opted not to do an ebook and just stick with hardcover and paperback. So far the hardcovers have been the vastly more successful option.

As the illustrator, I illustrated the cover myself. We also didn't have any blurbs as we are debut self-published authors with no real connections yet. We did, however, offer a free virtual ARC to get reviews before our publication date, which served us well. (We had to publish early on KDP then list as "unavailable" to get Amazon reviews before pub day.) One of the reasons we self-published was because trad publishers don't typically accept author-illustrator duos, in favor of their own in-house illustrators, unless the author is also the illustrator, so trad publishing hasn't ever really been an option for us.

We've had decent success offering to do local school visits for free in exchange for sending home a flyer 2 weeks before the event with an order form on it. We collect order forms and money on the day, order the books, and deliver the signed copies about a month later. We have also been fortunate enough to get plugged in with some other local authors and get invited to join a local renaissance fair guild whose whole shtick is promoting books and literacy, so they've invited us to come sell our books at ren fairs with them and those have gone very well for us.

We have yet to break even on all of our costs (most books don't), but for a debut book, I'd say things have gone well in fostering an audience. We were a #1 bestseller on IngramSpark in our first week thanks to all the promo work we did leading up to release. We do plan to publish another book within the next few years. (I have a year left of grad school first which takes up most of my time.) We also have plans to self-record and publish an audiobook (looking at ACX and Findaway Voices). Our book also includes a song, so we're thinking of recording and releasing the song on Spotify, Youtube, etc. so folks who don't read music can hear how it goes.
One thing to consider - putting a qr code on the cover that takes people to the songs

One thing to consider - putting a qr code on the cover that takes people to the songs
Yes, I've been considering that, it would also help to show that there's a song inside and it's not just a story. Will probably do a second edition that includes that, the audiobook ISBN, and potentially an about page for the author and I.

My husband and I have tried two ways to get work out. The first set up a website and posted chapters in a monthly serial format. Took us 8 months we added art and music to the site to enhance the story. Went fairly well but a lot of work. Sold the books in download form. Then did a chilldrens picture book where storyline was bears living in a park. Sold in local gift shops. Now working on a graphic novel Inner World of the Gracas but think will probably do Amazon and then working to partner with a local bookstore for promotion.

It's a 7 day a week thing for me. I was able to quit my day job, but its having several pen names and ghost writing that did it. If I stuck with 3 books or less, it wouldn't work for me. The royalties I accumulate from books I published almost a decade ago under various pen names and genres is what made it possible.

For non-fiction, if you are covering a subject not already covered (or not covered well enough) I know a number of people who have gone the self-publish/print on demand route and done very well. It seems defined mostly by the subject matter's appeal. One, a family history, was very well put together and illustrated with photos but was less of an easy sell, while some good if not very exceptional music related non-fiction with fairly common illustration appears to have sold quite well to it's audience. Many 'labor of love' type books such as these are a one or two off proposition from their author.

I am happy self-publishing. I enjoy the process and having the control although I think I am quite niche. At 65 I am not trying to build a career out of it. When i first started I was keen on the traditional route but talking with others convinced me to go self-publishing so that i stood a good chance of getting my books out before I died