Episode 15 - Introducing Peat Long!

Dan Jones

Der Vater absurder Geschichten
Supporter
When Chronscast was originally set up I wanted different co-host folks for different co-host strokes. I wanted my guest today, the blogger Peat Long aka - @The Big Peat - to contribute to the podcast particularly in the area of fantasy fiction, in all its guises and possibilities. For various reasons he couldn't commit at the start of the venture, but I'm pleased to say that Peat has agreed to be an occasional co-host with me in the future.

Today Peat and I are having a short conversation to introduce him, his thoughts on genre fiction, his prolific blog, and his own writing habits and capacities. Pete will be joining us later in the spring to discuss books such as Mervyn Peake's Titus Groan, and Stephen Donaldson's Lord Foul's Bane.

Links
Peat Long's Blog

Next Episode
Our next full episode will see Bean and I joined by the inimitable Bryan Wigmore, who'll be telling us how to make like Michael Jackson and heal the world with the sword pulled from the stone in John Boorman's 1981 Arthurian epic, Excalibur.

How To Listen (for @HareBrain)
Chronscast • A podcast on Anchor

Last edited:
Class, sage advice from @The Big Peat ...if you want your brain to come up with new ideas then you'll need to train your brain to come up with ideas (paraphrased) -makes perfect sense, just like in sport, repeat consistently and it'll become natural. The blog output from @The Big Peat is remarkable, almost like it's the work of a team of people. Sounds like there'll be plenty more insight up the road (y)

A (relatively) little known fact is that 'The Charm of Making' from Excalibur is one of the many easter eggs in Ready Player One. I'm sure it was also used in another tv series of film (possibly Star Trek related?) as well.

I'm also looking forward to the Donaldson episode. It would be good to hear a discussion between someone who likes and someone who dislikes the 'Thomas Covenant' books; I'm not sure there's any in between.

I'm "both", if that counts?

So am I!

The Land is so beautifully realised, as are the races and characters (good and bad). All except Thomas Covenant himself.

Imagine if Tolkien had written Bilbo in The Hobbit as a foul-tempered goblin, who went round swearing at everyone. That's The Thomas Covenant Chronicles.

So am I!

The Land is so beautifully realised, as are the races and characters (good and bad). All except Thomas Covenant himself.

Imagine if Tolkien had written Bilbo in The Hobbit as a foul-tempered goblin, who went round swearing at everyone. That's The Thomas Covenant Chronicles.

I suspect that's rather the appeal for many. I never got into it when I peeked inside as a teenager, so I'm coming at it rather untainted. Plenty of reading ahead of me!

Class, sage advice from @The Big Peat ...if you want your brain to come up with new ideas then you'll need to train your brain to come up with ideas (paraphrased) -makes perfect sense, just like in sport, repeat consistently and it'll become natural. The blog output from @The Big Peat is remarkable, almost like it's the work of a team of people. Sounds like there'll be plenty more insight up the road (y)

Sometimes I suspect there is a whole team of people in my head for what it's worth.