Have you listened to Chronscast yet?

Phyrebrat

www.beanwriting.com
Supporter
Evening all,

My friend asked about our podcast so I went to the show on the Apple podcast app to send him the show link.

I noticed we’ve only had three reviews.

The others are far too polite to say this but I’m bound by no such morals…

If I’m being honest, I’m disappointed by the apparent lack of interest our home crowd is showing and wondered why that might be. Is there something we might do to encourage you to listen?

We’ve been very careful to ensure this project is reflective of the Chrons community, and chosen guests accordingly.

Brian the Boss has allowed us total freedom in this and we have his blessings; Chrons is free — as is our podcast — with no ads every ten mins, or long intro music, or self-indulgent hosts.

A huge amount of work goes into the podcast; I’ve just finished editing the Sept episode which takes me around 5-7 hours. The Judge — perfectionist that her Hon. is — spends lots of her time and professional insight on her contribution in The Judge’s Corner, and An Roinn Ultra does the same with his skits, making sure they line up with the theme of the episodes.

If you do enjoy Chrons we’d appreciate a review. And feedback here is welcome, too!

I know some who are not used to podcasts have commented on the length which we are addressing soon by splitting the episodes into two fortnightly releases, but podcasts are often long (and longer!). I think of them as on-demand radio shows.

Just look at the roster of guests we’ve had thus far. It can’t be that which is the problem…

So what might it be?

I listen! Not left any reviews, though, as (a) it doesn't seem right as I'm part of it and (b) I've no idea how to!

Have any reviews been left on the other podcast providers? Do other podcasts get reviews?
Yes I’m not sure where or how to - I don’t think I have an account on the podcast pages (I listen as a guest).

Likewise. I've heard quite a few episodes now and they've all been very good. I don't know if older potential listeners would write it off as young people doing irreverent/irrelevant young people stuff though. As a self-published author I can attest to the near impossibility of getting people to leave reviews online. It is incredibly difficult to get any sort of traction at all.

I've no idea how to
Spotify allows you to leave a review fairly easily -though you need to have it downlanded to your mobile. Another option is the 'Goodpods' podcast site. I'm a fan of this one as it's geared for indie creators and I've found some cool SF (Space Patrol comes to mind, and also some funky cold war era stuff I can't recall the name of as I type) this content is either hidden or unavailable on Apple, Google & Spotify in favour of celebrity blah.
Anyhows, reviews help I think (y)

Spotify allows you to leave a review fairly easily -though you need to have it downlanded to your mobile.
Well, that's a problem right there! Two tin cans on a piece of string just don't have the necessary wherewithal for this fancy modern stuff.

Two tin cans on a piece of string
Are you serious -you have my respect, mobiles are almost inescapable. Well done if true. You can review via their webpage, once you create an account.
I held out for years from getting a smartphone but so many things are through apps that I gave in, still kinda miss the 'didn't see the message, no phone' excuse;)

I've listened to a few on Chronscast (Excalibur, American Werewolf and MR James episodes) and greatly enjoyed them. No idea how to leave reviews though.

I would say that it isn't the easiest to find unless you know it's called 'Chronscast'. Searching in other ways (eg science fiction and fantasy chronicles) comes up with completely different results. Unless you are aware of what to look for, I'm not sure that anyone would find it.

I don't have the time to listen to podcasts much. When I'm in the car, I usually have music on. Having said that, I check out each Chronscast to see if it is about something that I've read or twigs my interest . So far I've listened to all of the Pullman one and part of the Northern Lights one.
I subscribe through the Apple app on my iPad. Thanks for the reminder to leave a review.
@The Judge While I have a cell phone for emergencies travelling, it is not in use otherwise. Landlines and old fashioned message machines for me.

Evening all,

Thanks for the replies, it's really appreciated; Jo, Toby, Her Hon., Bryan, as people either who've guested or are involved in the Chronscast, I wasn't really pushing for you to leave reviews (altho, by all means!).

Just to clarify, when I say review, I don't mean a written one, but for those who have listened via Apple, for example, can just click on 1 - 5 star rating and leave it at that. No actual words are necessary. As with Amazon, until we get a certain amount of engagement via reviews, we won't get up in the search rankings.

We're into our second year now so I after I'd finished editing the latest episode, I went to see what reviews it was getting, as I've never had a look before and to see only three reviews is a bit of a shock.

Are you serious -you have my respect, mobiles are almost inescapable. Well done if true.

I can concur, I've been much dismay'd at the absence of smartphones in chambers. Her Hon. is willful like that.

still kinda miss the 'didn't see the message, no phone' excuse

OT but, I often tell my friends that calls, texts, whatsapp etc make communicatioin easier, not compulsory. When people say "you've read it but not replied" I remind them that my having a phone is to make my life easier, not anyone else's, particularly. I abhor this modern-day entitlement when dealing with interpersonal contact and implementation of terms like 'ghosting' or 'screening calls'. So, next time someone accuses you of ghosting or whatever, tell em I said so :)

I didn't know about them and haven't listened to them. I will correct that now.

Aww, that's lovely. I hope you find one or two that appeal to you.

I would say that it isn't the easiest to find unless you know it's called 'Chronscast'. Searching in other ways (eg science fiction and fantasy chronicles) comes up with completely different results. Unless you are aware of what to look for, I'm not sure that anyone would find it.

I agree. You have to know it by name I think, to know it is there. Slow steps I think.

In case there's any confusion, I really understand that podcasts aren't for everybody. Also, if there's a discussion here in the Chronscast subforum it would be great to carry on conversations and debates from particular episodes. Or hear your requests regarding questions for our guests.

Thanks again all

I haven’t listened to them yet. I dare say they are very well done, and appeal to many, and I ought to have a listen soon I’m sure. However, I guess if I were to consider why I’ve not taken advantage of the podcasts yet, there may be a few contributing reasons, and you seem to asking for feedback from non-contributors:

i) they seem to be about 2h long, which is too long for me to be honest
ii) they seem to focus quite a bit on writing, which doesn’t interest me much - I’m a reader not a writer
iii) they seem to focus on discussion of particular books which often don’t look of much interest to me, and the guest isn’t necessarily recognised as an expert in the chosen book or field
iv) I’m not familiar with many of the guests you’ve had
v) I didn’t know they existed until very recently

I appreciate this makes me seem very much a negative ninny, but you seemed to be genuinely seeking reasons why listening figures may have not been as high as you hoped, and my reasons, to date, may not be unique among Chrons members. As I say, I probably ought to check them out and my reasons for hesitation say much more about my preferences than about the Podcast, which I’m sure is very well done. All the best with it!

I've always seen it as "an interesting person chooses a book they like" rather than an expert analysis.
Yep fair enough. However, by having each ‘cast link an author with a book unrelated to that author, the chances of interest are reduced, as either the book or the author might not grab, and if either one is not of great interest, one won’t take the time, maybe. And as you say, 2 hours is perhaps too long for many - I saw the length of an episode and decided against listening tbh. But that’s just me.

I appreciate this makes me seem very much a negative ninny, but you seemed to be genuinely seeking reasons why listening figures may have not been as high as you hoped,
Thanks for the feedback Bick. I don’t think you’re á negative ninny (!) it’s all info.

The figures have been good — other podcasters have said they’re phenomenal for a new enterprise — it’s the engagement from our home crowd that has been poor.

Toby // I think we’ll be splitting them into two episodes per guest soon.

Thanks again both

The figures have been good — other podcasters have said they’re phenomenal for a new enterprise — it’s the engagement from our home crowd that has been poor.

In which case I'd be tempted not to worry about it too much. This forum might skew in a way that doesn't reflect the general postcast-listening public (I'm pretty sure the Chrons membership is older than average, for what it's worth). It's a shame but the fact that there's a big external listenership is great.

It helps having a forum with a core base of potential listeners, but as the chances of anyone stumbling across it by randomly typing 'chronscast' into their search engine are pretty small, I'm not sure how anyone  would find it, other than by word of mouth.

I listen via Amazon Music app. I've tried entering a variation of things into the search engine that should leas me to it, but none of them do. I don't know if this is just Amazon not having a great search engine, or what.

As regards length of podcast, they are segmented into individual topics, which (usually) are helpfully indicated in the index. I don't feel that any one section is too long, nor is it too brief.

Sometimes the guest is an author, sometimes a knowledgeable fan, and whilst I may not always agree with their viewpoint, their opinions are considered and constructive, and its clear that they have considerable knowledge on the subject being discussed.

I thought the interview with Alison Littlewood was very good, and this conversation has reminded me that I still need to get her book 'Mistletoe' (a great shame its not on Audible), I bought the Blu ray of American Werewolf having listened to that one, and I greatly enjoyed the Judge's talk on the 'Excalibur' episode.

It may be worth having a poll or a list of suggestions for a future episode of the podcast. Obviously it would have to be about something you have a love and knowledge of (and can get a suitable guest to cover).

Perhaps the Halloween franchise in October or 1984 in April.