November / December 100 Word Anonymous Challenge 2023

Rock and Roll is out, hatred is in

Deep space observer Blog Zoppenborg was feeling satisfied:

'I've had to sit through days of content, but I've worked out how robots took control of Earth.’

‘How?’

‘They destroyed humanity by controlling electronic media. Take a look at all the featured trends …violence …bigotry …anger.’

‘So what?’

'So what is that the humans fractured themselves into ever decreasing groups based on mutual hatred.'

‘Hatred is contagious, careful it doesn't rub off on you.’

‘That's the typical sort of thing a Zomboonican would say. You know I haven't forgotten what you Zomboonicans did to my ancestors during the siege of Gabalochnenspore.'

An intergalactic time police intervention in time saves nine

‘…an accelerator, with protons colliding at massive speeds.’

‘So what?’

‘You have to be the dumbest intergalactic space time inspector I've worked with -it caused an unstoppable chain reaction, and destroyed that solar system.’

‘So.’

'The third planet had sentient bipeds like us, which is why we need to stop the experiment -I hope we have the date right.'

‘Why don’t we ask one of the humans?

‘Don’t be daft -do you even know how time travel works?’

‘Of course, hang on, here comes one …excuse me, is this before or after the annihilation of humanity.’

‘BOUT TWO MONTHS BEFORE.’

Crossing The Ocean in Words

We try coming up with interesting ways to draw the reader into our mind’s eye. A tree, lighthouse, or a single word written in new and challenging genres are the inspirations we’re given.

Ideas and emotions merge and entangle in vain attempts of witty word play, as we write with the flow of our thoughts. The ideas come out in ways that will lead, stop, turn, and catch our audience, sending them away thinking or smiling, we hope.

For the reader’s imagination will carry them along the currents of our stories, in directions we never thought of.

The Sparkler

Confidence is a state of mind.

For example, earlier that day he had successfully not found the fuse box.

He wasn’t lying there pitying what was left of his right hand. Quite the opposite. In what was increasingly shorter bouts of consciousness, he spent whole moments admiring his black stump which now discharged rivulets of electricity several foot from his prone body.

His central nervous system might be shot but that was simply an after-effect of him becoming a superhero… or villain. He just needed to employ a henchman to carry him around in a golf bag or shopping cart.

Back