March Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu. The Dark Forest follow-up, seems even more interesting.

I'm now reading the Silo series by Hugh Howey
I picked up the first book. I found the first few chapters very good, was a little disappointed that the POV character (seemingly) dies, was hoping he really wasn't dead, but then had this tangent with a different POV that I didn't really like and I just dropped it after a few more chapters. I have become insufferable in my dotage.

Good grief! No way I'm getting all those! That's the trouble with most fantasy authors, they produce huge series of books!
And Terry Brooks is 80 and still churning them out, whereas GRRM is five years younger and has taken ten years to not finish a series...

Good grief! No way I'm getting all those! That's the trouble with most fantasy authors, they produce huge series of books!
You can try The Word and The Void trilogy. I like it and it stands alone, even though it's technically the precursor to the whole Shannara world. I haven't read all the books either. Too many, not enough time, different reading tastes etc etc.

I picked up the first book. I found the first few chapters very good, was a little disappointed that the POV character (seemingly) dies, was hoping he really wasn't dead, but then had this tangent with a different POV that I didn't really like and I just dropped it after a few more chapters. I have become insufferable in my dotage.
It was originally published as separate stories focusing on different characters in the silo.

Stuff read while away from the computer for a week:

From Sixteen Short Novels:

"The Blacking Factory" (1968) by Wilfrid Sheed. The editor of the anthology tells of a teenaged American boy sent to a boarding school in England just after World War Two, and how that made him into an England-hating right wing radio talk show host as an adult.

Coffee table books:

Twilight of the Hemlocks and Beeches (2018) by Tim Palmer. Lots of photos and some text about these American trees, threatened by invading insects and pathogens.

Inspired by Insects: Bugs in Contemporary Art (2017) edited by F. Ashley Rooney. Photos of art depicting or even made from insects and related critters.

Trivia books:

Today I Learned Dynamite is Made From Peanuts: Over 300 Strange-But-True Facts That You Probably Didn't Know (no author credit, 2022) and Today I Learned Volume 2 The Match was Invented After the Lighter: Over 300 New Strange-But-True Facts That You Probably Didn't Know (no author credit, 2023). Not very good, really. Some facts are simple, common knowledge, some are left unexplained, and some are repeated in both books.

Real books:

Insane Emperors, Sunken Cities, and Earthquake Machines: More Frequently Asked Questions about the Ancient Greeks and Romans (2023) by Garrett Ryan. I'd read the author's previous book, Naked Statues, Fat Gladiators, and War Elephants: Frequently Asked Questions about the Ancient Greeks and Romans (2021). Quite informative.

Masters of Science Fiction (no editor credited, 1964). Paperback collection of stories from 1952 to 1957 from various magazines. Some famous names -- Philip K. Dick, Poul Anderson, Frederik Pohl -- and at least one not so famous -- M. C. Pease. No great stories included.

Almost forgot:

Creeping Death From Neptune: The Life and Comics of Basil Wolverton Volume One 1909-1941 (2012) by Greg Sadowski. Big book with both biography of the unique artist and lots of samples of his early work. We have the second (and last, so far) book in this series on order: Brain Bats of Venus: The Life and Comics of Basil Wolverton Volume Two 1942-1952 (2019).

Last edited:
I've started - Masters of the Air, which is the book for the new Apple series. It reads as a well informed history book so far with good character comments from a well researched book.

This one looks promising so far.

A follow up to :-

Who Sent Clement​

Quite whimsical a good story slightly annoying mentiond of arsenal football club but if you can ignore that worth a read

I've just downloaded this 1972 book because I couldn't resist the title - will be starting it tonight
FB_IMG_1710523609189.gif

Dervla Murphy "Wheels Within Wheels, the making of a traveller"
Autobiography of her first thirty years, prior to her astonishing (unsponsored, unadvertised) 1963 solo bike ride overland to India.
Initially I was taken aback because I'd thought this was going to be a whole-life autobiography, but to my surprise I really enjoyed it.
An unusual child growing up in rural Ireland (Waterford) with a vivid inner life.
This is her in early childhood: long before the age of seven, my chief amusement was telling myself interminable convoluted stories - if 'amusement' is the right word. The longing to be alone with the denizens of my imagination was so intense.... I often looked forward to bedtime. Lying happily taut under the blankets, with my eyes shut and my imaginative throttles wide open, I was at last safe from adult interference. I well remember the physical symptoms of excitement during those sessions: my heart hammering, my fists clenching and unclenching, my face contorted as I rapidly muttered the latest instalment sotto voce.

The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman, Illustrated by Chris Riddel. Illustrated short fairytale retelling.

The Nostradamus Prophecy by Theresa Breslin. A YA historical fiction novel set in the France of Nostradamus, King Charles IX, and his mother Catherine de Medici; culminating in the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre.

Status
Not open for further replies.