June 2024 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO DACRAZYKAT29!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lighthouse Keeper with Flashlight App

A dark figure appeared at the lighthouse entrance.

"You're open?"

A light from his hand led the way into the structure, up spiraling steps. At the top, his flashlight app panned the ancient lamp mechanism.

He pointed outside. The lighthouse beam was cast too high, above the sea.

"It needs adjusted."

He stared into the starless sky.

He led me down, turned away. I glimpsed the hand that lit our way. It was empty.

The Light Dawns

Tortoise Diamond-Shell grimaced at the Sentience Overview. The Black-soarers, her make-or-break doctoral project, wouldn’t achieve sentience because the blasted Slithers raided their nests too successfully.

The Black-soarers needed to hunt Slithers aggressively to have a chance, but they hated their taste. Plus, the stupid Sentience Overview regulations commanded: “No genetic tinkering with potentially sentient species.”

Tortoise’s inner light flashed. She wouldn’t tinker with the Black-soarers. She’d engineer better tasting Slithers. She’d make Senior Director yet!

Light Bringer

The village elders presented Nico with the ceremonial dagger.

First, she had to cut out both her eyes. Next, fifty years of meditation in a cave. Only then could she fulfil her destiny as the Light Bringer—she who summons the morning sun.

‘Nah, f*** this!’ Nico was so over her village with its primitive traditions.

She left for the capital. She would find her own damn way of bringing light into this world!

The Problem with Anarcho-capitalism

Interstellar Hitchhiker Splud Tabernacle, having initially felt happiness at getting a lift, was now worried.

‘Ya won't need a harness. We're Anarcho-capitalists. We don't believe in those things.’, explained the captain.

‘But I thought a lack of safety regulations meant no Anarcho-capitalist rocket has ever survived a faster than light trip’, gasped Splud.

‘No Anarcho-capitalist rocket has ever survived a faster than light trip before’, corrected the captain. ‘Help yourself to a cigarette’, she added.

Dining Out

Geoff hammered on his neighbour's door. "Bill, have you seen them? Lights in the sky!"

Bill craned his neck to see. "Ayuh; looks like it's started."

"Started? What's started?"

"The harvesting," Bill grinned, tendrils springing from his fingertips, wrapping around his neighbour's throat.

"I thought we were friends," gasped Geoff.

"Which is why I'm going to kill you before I eat you."

"But I've known you for years..."

"
Oh, we've been here a looooong time."

Georgie Porgie

Draca hears agitated breathing inside her cave. “Who’s there?”
“Una. He’s chasing me.”
“Who?”
“Nightstalker.”
Who?
“He assaults women then runs away.”
“So, he’s a coward.”
“I tore off his mask, saw his face.”
Draca hears heavy footsteps from just outside the cave’s entrance.
“I know you’re in there!”
“Nightstalker!” says Una.
“Invite him in.”
“Go away!”
“Perfect,” says Draca, as Nightstalker enters the cave.
Her dragon fire engulfs him. “Fancy an alight meal?”

Status
Not open for further replies.