August / September 100 Word Anonymous Challenge 2024 Discussion

Well done @paranoid marvin -great story, reminded me a bit of the 'Life of Brian' Latin graffiti scene only better. Two wins in a row, gotta go for a hat trick now. By the way those Imperial home/ weapon of mass destruction redesign discussions have to be you, that's my opening gambit for the guessing game anyway...
Congratulations

Well done @paranoid marvin -great story, reminded me a bit of the 'Life of Brian' Latin graffiti scene only better. Two wins in a row, gotta go for a hat trick now. By the way those Imperial home/ weapon of mass destruction redesign discussions have to be you, that's my opening gambit for the guessing game anyway...
Congratulations
Correct. Imperial Improvements is written by paranoid marvin.

Congratulations Paranoid Marvin
@paranoid marvin

Stood & Forked It Over Stories
"His Best Foot Forward"
"Don't Tangle with an English Teacher or Yes, Dick Turpin"
"Brave New Universe"
"Time to let go"
#25 - Untitled
"A dissertation on an Artificially Intelligent Highywaybot"
"Countess Epidermis and the Highwayman of Tulaigh Mhor"
"The Ballad of John Palmer"

Good stuff, great story ...was gonna try a raft of guesses but time ran away -the game is great for a long train journey (not sure if I would have guessed you but retrospectively it fits) (y)
I myself wasn't happy with it, but I'm glad you liked it. You also shortlisted me for "Never Turn Your Back on a Venusian."

I don't how many know (or care!) that the 'John Palmer' of my poem was a pseudoymn of a certain Richard Turpin, and relates to his (supposes) ride from London to York on his trusty steed Black Bess.

Like mich of my poetry, it was a bit simplistic, but I did think the last line waa a good 'un.

I don't how many know (or care!) that the 'John Palmer' of my poem was a pseudoymn of a certain Richard Turpin, and relates to his (supposes) ride from London to York on his trusty steed Black Bess.
Just did a little research on him. Quite the character. Always interesting learning about highway men/bushrangers of the past.

I have to fess up to writing a few duds. No Such Thing was meant to be darkly funny and ironic, but really my mind was running on empty at the moment and trying anything. I myself don't know what the point of it was for me. Highway Robbery and How to Prevent It was told from a first-person POV, but I assure you it's not meant to represent myself in any way. The character is mean-spirited, petty, and definitely dislikable. I thought I might've had something with the very end, though. Drug of Choice might've worked if I hadn't forgotten to imply/hint at itself taking place in a dystopia where all soft drinks are banned.

I'm glad @AnRoinnUltra liked The Victim, but I was a little worried the circular thing wouldn't be thrilling enough. Never Turn Your Back on a Venusian was one I was proud of; I was definitely going for a vintage space opera-y style.

The one I'm most proud of is Birds of a Feather. I'd thought many times about why such a strange traditional folk motif so fascinatingly weird as storks delivering babies wasn't in more fiction, maybe aside from fiction geared more towards children. I kept thinking, "OK, the stork delivers the wrong baby," and spinning in my wheels. Then I saw an opportunity for one of my rare "happy" endings.

I ran out of time due to procrastination again. Story of my life. I was going to submit a few more. 1) Dracula is in Sicily; he bites a thief, but as the thief dies, so does Dracula, who realizes how Sicilians love their garlic; and 2) Two highwaymen who are strangers to each other try to each rob the other, but are scared off by the sound of a coyote howling.

Don'y be discouraged. One of the benefits of this Challenge is multiple entries, which encourages experimentation andattemptinf types of writing that you may be getting to grips with.

Some entries may fall short because of inexperience with that format, others because 100 hundred words is simply not enough to do it justice.

In no way is it failure, because you will have gained invaluable experience for the next Challenge.

And Birds of a Feather was a very imaginative take on the topic, and almost got my vote.

2) Two highwaymen who are strangers to each other
Would love to see that story -really like the idea. There's something about the human condition in it too, in the way both are scared of the same thing and both are misguidedly doing their best. Loved the Venusian tale -I think your writing is top class.
I think this competition is a great exercise -I've taken to recording my stories while walking the doggies and putting the clips online. It's a handy way of remembering them, and also means they are fresh enough to shoehorn into a standup comedy gig. Perfect for a heckle comeback that leaves the shoutee struggling to say anything more than 'uh, that's stupid';)