Laptop Refused to Power Down.

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter
For the past couple of days Mrs Mosaix's laptop (Windows 10) has refused to power down. No matter what it just booted itself back up again.

After a bit of sniffing around on the web the solution, that worked, is to hold the shift key whilst powering down. Who knew?

Check the power button is set to shut down, not sleep or hibernate.
(there is no 'restart' option for the power button so the issue is all a bit of a puzzle :unsure: )

There is always a way...
1725666091560.jpeg

Did it keep saying, "Drop your weapon! You have 10 seconds to comply!"

Computers refusing to shut down is only the start...
You have to crawl into it and start sliding the little cartridges out while it sings Daisy! Daisy! increasingly slowly. Actually, if Dave Bowman had known the little trick with holding down the shift key, Kubrick could have cut at least fifteen minutes from the movie.

You have to crawl into it and start sliding the little cartridges out while it sings Daisy! Daisy! increasingly slowly. Actually, if Dave Bowman had known the little trick with holding down the shift key, Kubrick could have cut at least fifteen minutes from the movie.
There are no keyboards (or proper forks) on the Discovery.

I had a similar thing a couple of years back. It was actually powering down but taking a very long time to do it. The thing that worked for me was (once it has eventually powered down) remove the battery and press the power button for about thirty seconds. It worked a treat.

Also, I discovered that it works for PCs. Just remove the mains cable and press the power button for thirty seconds, reconnect and Bob's your proverbial.

It's called a Power Reset and it's used to drain residual power and purge the memory. It often clears power issues.

I'm posting this because it might be the case that prior to refusing to power down, it might be taking longer and longer to do so. I'd try this tip if that were the case:)

The title of this thread sounds like a children's aspirational picture book: The Brave Little Laptop that Refused to Power Down...

You don’t have to remove the battery to reset a PC, just unplug the mains. I would guess this would probably be the same for an all-in-one.

Even if unsure, pressing the power button when mains unplugged won’t do any harm and, who knows, it might just work:)

You don’t have to remove the battery to reset a PC, just unplug the mains. I would guess this would probably be the same for an all-in-one.

When I say it has a battery, I mean the sort of battery that one finds in a laptop (give or take not being able to remove it), i.e. the PC can work (and has worked) for hours with the mains switched off.

The PC is portable: it has a carrying handle, and the legs tidy themselves away when I pick it up (and redeploy when I set it down).

EDIT: Here's what it looks like from the back:

1725813866886.png

Last edited: