Fear of Writing/Creativity

Azzagorn

It's been a long time since I've been active in the forums. September's 75 word challenge was my first post in probably 5 years.

I took a step back from here because I became scared of sharing my ideas, I stopped writing full stop. I don't think I've put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard to write for almost as long as I've been missing. Ideas dried up and any ideas I did have I poo pooed away as drivel. In short my self confidence was shattered.

Thankful I have a really supportive wife and a group of friends I play DnD with, and through their support I've grown my creative confidence again. I still don't write all that much, and I am trying to be kinder to myself regarding ideas that drop into my mind.

I turned 40 this year, and part of a deal I made for myself was to reset my creativity. It's been hard, I dread sharing my work.

Anyway this has become a right ramble. Sorry about that.

Azzagorn.

Fair play. A writing group might be good too. Writing is obviously something you want to do so keep the flame lit (y)

Glad to see you back!

Sharing one's writing is the best way to improve, but there's no rush -- take your time with it!

Whenever you hear the nasty critic in your mind making comments about your work, stop it and say -- out loud! -- something along the lines of "Well, it's not perfect, but it'll do for now" or "It's a good basis for something to work on". ie talk to yourself as if a friend were asking for your opinion.

And instead of gettng het up about a (perceived) lack of creativity, recognise that life has cycles, and so do our emotions and our creativity. Sometimes writing is easy, and sometimes if's effing hard; sometimes ideas pour out, sometimes the well is dry. (Think I'm mixing metaphors there...) Take it as it comes and relax.

Two separate problems:

Ideas don't need to be brilliantly original. You could write a novel that is nothing more than a cover of a John Carpenter film - and that book could be wonderful and popular.

Which takes us to the second thing: Good writing is key. A wonderful concept written poorly is unreadable. A boring concept executed with vivid, fascinating prose is a page turner.

So don't sweat the idea part. Write, write, write and look for feedback on the way you are writing, not what you are writing about.

Like what @Swank just said: So don't sweat the idea part. Write, write, write and look for feedback on the way you are writing, not what you are writing about.

I have had my fair share, and still do, of stumbling blocks in my writings. When I first joined Chrons, I was not as good as I thought I was, but I put some of my 75, 100 and 300 worders in for critique, (GULP!) and listened and keep trying. I had good ideas, just bad writing. I have two forms of sever chronic dyslexia that more often than not stop me in my tracks, especially in writing and reading.

Just keep writing and try not to worry, (easier said than done!) It's your story and that is all that matters! ;)

Welcome back! For most of us as writers, our greatest critic is ourselves. It's a very special person who thinks their work is great, and everyone else agrees.

Sometimes you just have to follow the words of the great Lord Wellington: Publish, and be damned.

Ps if you are a regular player of D&D, you are by default a creative and imaginative person.

I think sometimes creative writing is portrayed as a sort of mystical experience, where you're always supposed to be deeply inspired and trying to "write great prose". I think it's more like making a chair. Making a chair might be very artistic, but it still requires the basic work of cutting the wood and putting the thing together. Often telling the story and just saying what happened next is fine. The fancy stuff, if required, can come later.

Anyhow, good luck with it!

Back